Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Ultra Marathon Man by Dean Karnazes

This is one of my favourite books about anything, let alone running.

I'd also add Running Hot and Cold by Doug Richards. Not only is it packed with tales of running in places where you really shouldn't, Doug is also a Brighton fan (and my child minder's brother) and the chaps at Pitch Publishing are also local. You can order it via his website

http://www.dougrichards.co.uk

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I've been a bit of a numpty, fell over crossing the Kingsway a few weeks ago, left hand did a fine job of breaking my fall, unfortunately broke a couple of bones in there in the process!

Been in plaster for a little over two weeks now and back to the fracture clinic on Friday.

Any experiences on here with coming back from similar injuries?

Ouch! Check with the clinic you want your bones to heal quickly as a priority.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
16 days on got to journeys end. 2 days squirting from both ends put us in bed and had to walk for 5 days after dehydrated, unable to eat and completely shattered. Back in better health now but have cancelled the 5k at 5K above sea level. 8 days to walk out and then it’s drinking time and non stop eating.

Last edited:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Who's in for the Mince Pie tomorrow? A highlight of the running calendar for me.

It's half road, half off-road so what footwear is everyone plumping for? I guess the recent weather dictates off-road shoes for this?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Who's in for the Mince Pie tomorrow? A highlight of the running calendar for me.

It's half road, half off-road so what footwear is everyone plumping for? I guess the recent weather dictates off-road shoes for this?

Wellingtons and a rope, just in case. [emoji106][emoji106]

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
16 days on got to journeys end. 2 days squirting from both ends put us in bed and had to walk for 5 days after dehydrated, unable to eat and completely shattered. Back in better health now but have cancelled the 5k at 5K above sea level. 8 days to walk out and then it’s drinking time and non stop eating.

Hang in there...hope you’re ok

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I've picked up an achilles issue so I'm currently on a [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] style stretching regime to repair myself ahead of marathon training season.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

Yes I’m going for trail shoes - suspect the bit down to the farm will be treacherous but it’s a difficult call as a fair proportion is on road or decent paths. See you in the morning.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hang in there...hope you’re ok

Cheered up by meeting an electrician from Croydon. Offered to show him the highlights on my phone....great bloke. I like getting on with the enemy.
This year has had around half of trekkers with some infectious ailment or another. As we’re spending twice the average time it’s been odds on to getting ill. No problem now as near a small airport if needed and recovering with lovely electric blankets.

Good luck Mince Piers. I’m getting itchy feet and aim to run a flat out pre Xmas Prom Parkrun to see where I stand or fall.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I've picked up an achilles issue so I'm currently on a [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] style stretching regime to repair myself ahead of marathon training season.

Remember the Achilles can be damaged in numerous ways and that they need specific recovery plans. Jesus, God Bless him, told me to not stretch for 6 weeks and run once a week for example.
Ice and gentle finger manipulation always good and don’t forget the toes.
Good luck.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
How did none of us know that East Brighton parkrun was starting yesterday?!

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/eastbrighton/results/latestresults/

I did know but forgot about it. Probably wouldn’t have run it anyhow as ran the Mince Pie 10 this afternoon.

My best time on the course 1:07:01 and 15th place. Conditions weren’t too bad but the wind was pretty strong but nothing on last year.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3214341065

Maybe a NSC East Brighton meet up in January?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

My goodness me. You'll be about 7 stone when you get home. That is some epic stuff and puts my foot-injury/man flu into perspective especially as the former was sustained on the streets of Worthing after 1 hour's fast walking rather than x weeks trekking in the roof of the planet! Back running today after almost 3 weeks off. Not too bad.

Noticed the results from the new parkrun - don't think anyone crossed the 70%AG threshold, which might indicate it's a tough course?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My goodness me. You'll be about 7 stone when you get home. That is some epic stuff and puts my foot-injury/man flu into perspective especially as the former was sustained on the streets of Worthing after 1 hour's fast walking rather than x weeks trekking in the roof of the planet! Back running today after almost 3 weeks off. Not too bad.

Noticed the results from the new parkrun - don't think anyone crossed the 70%AG threshold, which might indicate it's a tough course?

100% on grass. Let’s have an NSC meet-up in May [emoji23][emoji23]

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
image.jpg

@GNT looks like you’ve been before!

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Leicester Victoria Park Parkrun #4 completed today in freezing conditions -1 with a howling wind. Still trotting round with the sister in law so don't know what I can do but will try on my own in a couple of weeks when I don't have to hold back.

Love starting my weekend with an early morning run, really blows the cobwebs away.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here