Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Spider Bite

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Are these things really an issue in the UK or a bit of an urban myth?

My business is in a converted barn and in the last few years we have had a few visits from hornets and it the first time in my life I've ever seen one and I'm nearly 60! They are enormous and I have heard that you should not kill them as if you do they give off a scent that alerts their buddies to come round and pay you a visit. I captured it in a glass and after taking a picture released it into the wild.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I've seen more spiders around this month than in the rest of the year put together. There's one that lives on the ceiling in the bathroom (harmless, no question) that likes to descend rapidly down to level with my face every time I go to brush my teeth, which is somewhat disconcerting.

Whilst we're on the subject of bitey, stingy things: I came in from work the other night to hear a loud angry buzzing noise coming from behind the kitchen blinds (stop it...). I'd not heard any insect make that sort of noise before, in terms of volume. I couldn't be arsed to deal with it- was about 3am at the time- so I went to shut the blinds properly to make sure whatever it was stayed put.

At which point the largest wasp (or wasp-type creature) I've ever seen emerged and started zooming furiously around the kitchen. I've honestly never seen anything like it, it must have been almost a couple of inches long, far bigger than any normal wasp or bee. I actually thought it was two together for a moment, but before I fled the kitchen in horror, slamming the door behind me, I managed to confirm that it was in fact just one, monstrous thing.

Any idea what the bloody hell it was? There were no more of them, so I kind of assumed it wasn't a queen. It was definitely black with yellow bits, and what looked like quite a large head. Could it have been some kind of hornet? :ohmy:

Did you manage to get many of your belongings out before you burned your house down?

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
I've seen Hornets in Sussex. Not the Giant Asian ones, just the usual European ones that are more common in France.

The picture I posted is of a European Hornet (Vespa Crabro). The photo was taken on my back door a couple of years ago, we have a lot around our way - there is a large wood just behind our house, their idea habitat. They are not aggressive, unlike the common wasps. You do not get Asian Hornets in the UK.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
My daughter was bitten on the tongue by one of these, that was hiding in a snorkel...

Giant-Caribbean-Centipede.jpg

Edit - to increase the yuk factor - they are about 6 inches long.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
That's the toxic effect of living in Swindon for you!!

My Grandad fought in Burma during WW2. He said that other than the kraits, the centipedes where the most dangerous small animal in the jungle.

Swindon has plenty of things that'll get you, but this was in the Caribbean :) She was lucky actually - it turned out that it had administered a 'dry bite'. Those things are poisonous as hell in the Caribbean too. I rushed her straight to hospital.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
When I felt the bite I put my hand to the shoulder and ended up rubbing the spider which killed it. Wouldn't normally kill them but put them back outside
Because of this thread, I am no longer going to let them go. If I see a big spider, I'm going to kill it. It's us or them.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They are enormous and I have heard that you should not kill them as if you do they give off a scent that alerts their buddies to come round and pay you a visit. I captured it in a glass and after taking a picture released it into the wild.
I can't believe you fell for their propaganda.

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
I remember the first time I saw one of these spiders in 2005 and it ended up with me being laid up for over a week but it could have been worse, I could have been killed. I was in our cupboard under the stairs when I lived in hove, clearing some old guitar stuff out. I was moving a largish marshal valve amp and as I bent down to pick up the amp I came eye to many eyes with was what I can only describe as my worst nightmare.

I am scared sh!tless by spiders but also fascinated by them. I had a cousin that, as a kid loved her deadly creature facts and had me hung on her every word when describing in great detail what agonising pain/death spider bites caused. As a result I know what a black widow looks like and when I saw that spider I was convinced it was one. I am one of those people that is very careful around the bananas at the supermarket.

Back to the cupboard….I moved quickly to run out of the cupboard, the fact I had been holding a heavy amp had slipped my mind. I jerked around twisted my back, dropped the amp and banged my head on the door frame. Screams of agony and the Mrs came running.
The results, a week off my feet with the worst back pain I have ever suffered and a big lump on my head. I hadn’t been bitten, I’d just been a big cowardly jessey. My brave then girlfriend (Now wife, after this I knew she was a keeper) collected the spider and let it go in the garden. Turned out to be a false widow thankfully. A cautionary tale I am sure you will agree.

There is one currently in residence in our porch and I check it is still there every night, after this thread I may have to hover the wee b’stard up.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I helped a friend knock down their old garden shed 2 weeks ago. It was riddled with huge False Widows. We stopped counting at 50.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
As a result of this thread, I not only spotted one of these False Widows today, but successfully turned it into an ex-False Widow.

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
We literally have hundreds of these awful bloody things all over the outside of our house. on the fence panels there is around 6 false widows on each panel, and every night they have spun there very thick horrible webs over the car wing mirrors.

So far, thankfully, we've only seen one in the house.

I am absolutely petrified of these little scumbags but they have literally taken over our place - near Burgess Hill.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
The previous owners of a house I'd moved into had a guy come around every six months and explode some sort of insect killer into the floor boards and loft, cupboard under the stairs etc. I declined his services but then sat there for a while wondering what would drive you to take such measures!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here