Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

US Masters 2016

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Speith almost fell over when handing over the green jacket. To be fair, he must going through torture in his mind.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Could at least have said "well played", but no. Tosspot.

Bryson did though, so that's good. Poor kid. Bryson. Honestly. Bloomin yanks.

Smylie?
Yanks are the worst losers closely followed by Aussies.
The only saving grace I will give him is that he is only 22.
That is a lot to cope with at that age I thought he was going to break down in the cabin.
Hopefully that experience will man him up a bit, a very good player and already much prefer him to Woods.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Speith almost fell over when handing over the green jacket. To be fair, he must going through torture in his mind.

Big moment for Speith in terms of how he reacts, could quite quickly become a David Duval.

With all the Sports Psychologists telling them how good they are, defeat really does come as a complete surprise.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Smylie?
That is a lot to cope with at that age I thought he was going to break down in the cabin.
Hopefully that experience will man him up a bit, a very good player and already much prefer him to Woods.

At the time I thought the same re his age and that he was clearly distraught about what had happened. However, on reflection the fact that he didn't even manage a "well played" is just plain rude and typically American.

That the US media are lauding him for how he "coped" with the ceremony says a lot. It's as if he should be applauded for not wiping his arse on the green jacket, throwing a poorly aimed punch at DW and storming out shouting "you bunch of f*****g C**TS!!" while smashing up the flower arrangements.

Anyway. Well done Danny! Loved the discussion between him and his caddy before the shot to the 18th both in broad Sheffield accents. My son was made up when he heard the news this morning " No way! That's the guy from Sheffield isn't it Dad?!".

Brilliant. :clap2:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Oh and well played Lee Westwood. Must have been a big help for Willett to have another pair of local blokes with him on that final round (as pointed out by Monty in the only useful thing he said all weekend).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Oh and well played Lee Westwood. Must have been a big help for Willett to have another pair of local blokes with him on that final round (as pointed out by Monty in the only useful thing he said all weekend).

Monty is the Michael Owen of golf punditry. Cliche-ridden statements of the bleeding obvious.

Speith was graceless at the presentation, very poor. Well done Danny, great stuff

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
BOGEY!! Well done Danny Willett. Fantastic stuff. Only the second Englishman to win the Masters.

Big test of character now for Spieth as he will have to present the green jacket. His demeaner at the presentation will determine his future likability.

I don't know where he messed up worse, the 12h or the presentation.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Gives us a new target during the Ryder Cup. Rightly deserved imho, and there may be a few whispers from the gallery when water is involved.

Well done Danny, seems a really nice bloke.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Christ does no one feel a little bad for Spieth? I know he's a millionaire multiple major winning 22-year-old but still...

If I had to deal with those ceremonies after that I think I would have broken down in tears

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Christ does no one feel a little bad for Spieth? I know he's a millionaire multiple major winning 22-year-old but still...

If I had to deal with those ceremonies after that I think I would have broken down in tears

True, but golf is a sport steeped in a history and tradition that revolves around sportsmanship, grace and honour.

That was really poor from Speith.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

In fairness I do a bit. He was absoluely shell shocked after completely crumbling on the back 9. It would have been history making to have lead the Masters for eight rounds and he will now be remembered for a massive choke. I think I can give him a little time to suffer in the aftermath. He seemed more smiley for the outdoor presentation.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I suppose the usual situation is the guy presenting the green jacket hasn't just completely capitulated in front of millions with one hand already on the trophy.

In interviews he comes across as a nice bloke. Clearly Spieth was completely shell-shocked (hence him almost falling over). Didn't look great on TV but I would suggest he wasn't really "all there" at that exact moment in time.

It's actually quite nice to see that he took it that badly. No matter the money involved, these guys want to win, hence the fantastic quality of play 99% of the time.

The scary thing is I completely expect Spieth to have taken a lesson from this and be EVEN better.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He's gone dark side!
spieth-large_trans++tR1WRZ4lb6BOb1-FBRpn-lFGGjcI28awSNtOPAVs6pc.jpg

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Smylie?

Yes, I mentioned Smylie earlier in the thread. I mean, good grief.

Agreed, he is only young but even so - pretty poor really. I suspect that because everything has gone his way so far in his career he has got a got too big for his boots and will need some good advice on how to cope. Tom Watson needs to get hold of him, or someone like that. I think Casey had a couple of issues with him on Friday when they were paired together. Nothing too serious though that cannot be ironed out. I cannot warm to him though - far too serious and up himself.

What does need sorting out is his technique as it is not the best. If his putting starts going off, he will disappear.

Edit: Apparently Smylie is his middle name so he obviously likes it. Good grief

Last edited:

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I think Danny benefited hugely from having a fellow-Brit as playing partner. He would have been able to shelter him and would not have been the automatic recipient of Yank support against Danny.

At least Peter Alliss can now die happy, I sense his commentary has become increasingly world-weary. Having met him when he opened the Seaford Head clubhouse last April, I know he is a true Yorkshireman at heart, and seeing a fellow Tyke with the green jacket (they must have taken his measurements bloody quickly towards the end!) will have made his day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here