Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace campaign to end homophobic chanting......

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Showing us in everyday situations, doing what the rest of the community takes for granted (holding hands in public, a quick peck on he check etc) is not promoting or even celebrating homosexuality. The fact that its still a "news" story that The Doctors companion is gay, rather than just a apart of that persons character shows how far there still is to go. A friend of mine in a northernish town was recently really worried as his sexuality had become known and he had genuine concerns as to the reaction of his friends, acquaintances and family. In a supposedly liberal country, the suicide rate for young gay teens is still alarmingly high, where school bullying and homophobic attacks are still common place , where young teens are still forced to leave home because of their sexuality ,ANYTHING that shows us to be nothing more or less than the rest of society is a good thing. When I was growing up and discovering I was gay, there was nothing on tv showing gay men in any "normal" situations, the only things were sordid nasty references about "those" sorts of men, really encouraging for a 14 year old boy I can tell you, so no, acceptance has not yet been achieved and why the bloody hell should I be happy with someone "accepting" me, your phrasing itself implies that I have something that needs to accepted

Well said. :thumbsup:

SAC

May 21, 2014
As Comedy Steve pointed out during his brilliant performance at Build A Bonfire on Wednesday, gay sex is an act of pleasure, between consenting adults, whereas sheep shagging is illegal animal rape.

So it's ok to accuse opposition fans of animal rape but not accuse them of an act of pleasure between consenting adults?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Agreed .Likewise Gay Pride but no Straight Pride festivals .

:ffsparr: (Ironic)

The Gay Pride festivals (Or 'Pride' as has been corrected) sprung up as a determined response to endless persecution of people based on sexual orientation. Things have certainly changed but you only have to see the silent narrative of some, even, albeit only a tiny number, on this forum to see that there is still a way to go.

So, given that the Pride concept is a display of self determination in the face of real opposition in some quarters (more a festival of diversity on these shores though), why would we need a Straight Pride ?

At no stage have heterosexuals been a persecuted group within society, and they will always form almost the entire majority of it. So such a celebration would be designed to counter and marginalize.

Those who say such things fail to understand the origins of the event and the fact that so many gay people in the world, perhaps a majority, cannot express themselves in this way- and neither can heterosexuals be seen to support them.

Sometimes this view may come from a feeling of exclusion, but Pride should never exclude anyone, and for the most part it doesn’t.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Who's offended? I think its quite sweet TBF

Agree...Is anyone really bothered about "Does your boyfriend know you`re here" or " we can see you holding hands". Pretty harmless I would have thought compared with the abuse linesman and Ref get at most games!!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Showing us in everyday situations, doing what the rest of the community takes for granted (holding hands in public, a quick peck on he check etc) is not promoting or even celebrating homosexuality. The fact that its still a "news" story that The Doctors companion is gay, rather than just a apart of that persons character shows how far there still is to go. A friend of mine in a northernish town was recently really worried as his sexuality had become known and he had genuine concerns as to the reaction of his friends, acquaintances and family. In a supposedly liberal country, the suicide rate for young gay teens is still alarmingly high, where school bullying and homophobic attacks are still common place , where young teens are still forced to leave home because of their sexuality ,ANYTHING that shows us to be nothing more or less than the rest of society is a good thing. When I was growing up and discovering I was gay, there was nothing on tv showing gay men in any "normal" situations, the only things were sordid nasty references about "those" sorts of men, really encouraging for a 14 year old boy I can tell you, so no, acceptance has not yet been achieved and why the bloody hell should I be happy with someone "accepting" me, your phrasing itself implies that I have something that needs to accepted

100% this. I'm not sure the straight community will ever truly comprehend how, even in 2017, the freedoms it enjoys and takes for granted are largely denied to the gay community, whether that's booking a holiday and not having to worry about the hotel being accepting of your sexual preference, holding hands or showing affection in public, even broaching the subject of your partner in certain company, the list is endless. A brave post nickbrighton.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Take a bow. Superb post, sir.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here