Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Robbie Savage and other analysts

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I saw the thread title but cannot bring myself to read the thread as Savage is and always has been a ****, from his footballing days to his arrival as the shouty thick argumentative pundit on 606 to embarrassing himself on Strictly. Oh and he's Welsh too.

Apologies if these views have already been expressed by somebody else.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Sounds like BBC/ITV are using some interesting continental talent - Bilic (intelligent), Matthaüs (not very), Karembeu.

The German channels have been quite imaginative. So far, I've seen Phil Neville (likeable but too safe), Uwe Rösler (good), Marius Trésor (like your favourite uncle). The two main analysts are Oliver Kahn and Mehmet Scholl who are both outspoken and interesting.

Austrian TV sticks to the same old suspects but the commentator for the game against Hungary was totally partisan. Every refereeing decision was lambasted against and, afterwards, he claimed that Hungary winning was a sensation!

She goes to my gym along with the whole Chelsea ladies team... and i agree... poor choice for a pundit. Even the female host comes out with some odd questions. She was much better when she hosted the womans wold cup.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
One of the joys of watching in the pub is not being able to hear the commentators.

:thumbsup: Definitely.

Sadly yesterday I was WFH, so although I didn't do a lot of work, I couldn't really run the risk of going to the pub to watch it as I had to at least keep up a pretence of working :lolol:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
There were two summarisers alongside Guy Mowbray - fair enough considering it's one broadcaster 'representing' two sides.

As for insights into the game, he doesn't add much. But at the end of the first half, and through most of the second, that one-eyedness kept repeating ad nauseum that England were the better side, and that Wales didn't offer much. Of course, it's an obvious statement, but one-eyed bias would have meant ludicrous comments not based on reality. Don't recall too much of that.

Apart from 'Why would Gareth Bale go down if he wasn't fouled?' That was truly dumb.

What was funny was that all four pundits at half-time - Shearer, Ferdinand, Saunders and Hartson - were pissed off with their team's performance.

That comment by Savage on Bale was laughable ..he was just outside the penalty area and takes free kicks would have been one reason!

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
That comment by Savage on Bale was laughable ..he was just outside the penalty area and takes free kicks would have been one reason!

Inigo Calderon might have a word or two to say about that as well. In fact, he already has...

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
David Pleat was an acquired taste, sure, but pundits like him are in a different class to the likes of Robbie Savage in terms of what they know about the game. The bloke's a walking football encyclopaedia. Just sounded a bit like one too sometimes, which was a shame.
I can't remember much about him on the TV but I quite like David Pleat on 5 Live, one of those who, as you say, know the game inside out. See also Jimmy Armfield.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I agree that Jenas has been very good. I used to like Lee Dixon but he's gone off. Bilic is brilliant, the two I can't stand are Townsend and Wrighty, especially Wrighty. It's just dumbing-down.

cirC

Jul 26, 2004
Tupnorth
Think yourself lucky that Neil Kinnoch knows f**kall about football...err wait a minute..............................

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Personally I'm a big fan of Jenas. He's far better than the majority of analysts

I like that you can tell he has a genuine passion to learn more and become better too. He will be decent.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
But that goes for 75% of pundits in my view. Rio Ferdinand is refreshing in that regard. Alan Shearer and Lawro have historically given the impression they are there on a jolly in between these tiresome football matches between foreign teams.

"We don't know much about Albania"

Well why not Alan? It's your f**king job to find out, not to go playing golf in between matches.

Exactly

They shouldn't be doing the job if they don't put in the time to research these things beforehand

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
2ducgv8.jpg

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm going to give a little credit to Kevin Kilbane here.

One of the lesser lights, because he wasn't much of a big name as a player (evidenced by the lack of mentions on this thread). But I think he's measured in his responses, insightful, and eloquent when he speaks. I enjoy his co-commentary.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
One of the Dublin based Seagulls mentioned on Twitter earlier today that they have...drum roll...Keith Andrews and <boooooooooooooo> Joey Barton doing their TV summarising.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here