Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*****Official Thread - Miami Vice - England v Ecuador*****

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Quite. I was discussing friendlies over here and very little attention is paid to them. They are viewed as leg-stretching exercises and nothing more. The result is irrelevant. Interestingly the qualifying games are viewed rather routinely as well with little hype or hysteria.

They always qualify though

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I absolutely think it is reverse psychology. Hodgson knows that Ross Barkley needs to tidy up a few small aspects of his game to become a brilliant player (and not just a very good player).

I hope so as the alternative is we shun the opportunity to give our young exciting form players the chance to shine in favour of 47 year old frank lampard and an out of form Rooney

I suppose we will find out in a weeks time

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Quite. I was discussing friendlies over here and very little attention is paid to them. They are viewed as leg-stretching exercises and nothing more. The result is irrelevant. Interestingly the qualifying games are viewed rather routinely as well with little hype or hysteria.

The result is meaningless. The performance, trying out combinations of players and formations etc however is very much worthwhile.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I hope so as the alternative is we shun the opportunity to give our young exciting form players the chance to shine in favour of 47 year old frank lampard and an out of form Rooney

I suppose we will find out in a weeks time

I'd be massively shocked if Lampard was anywhere near the starting 11. No chance. Rooney played pretty well yesterday.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I'd be massively shocked if Lampard was anywhere near the starting 11. No chance. Rooney played pretty well yesterday.

I hope so as I think Roy was very bold in his squad selection which has not raised expectation but has certainly given us all some hope for the future. I now want to see him follow that decision through and give these guys a chance to get the experience they need to help them in future years

I remember us taking a very raw Wayne Rooney to the euros who were it not for a broken foot looked set to propel us into the late stages of the tournament. Germany took the same approach with blooding their youngsters and are feeling the benefit.

There is a lot to be excited about with the younger crop just hope Roy does not back down and go with the old faces or players out of position

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The result is meaningless. The performance, trying out combinations of players and formations etc however is very much worthwhile.

Really? Surely you would, or should, know your best team, formations and plans a week before a tournament though?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You should but fitness and form etc..

Then select fit and inform players? I must admit I do not know much about this England set up and the players but I'd be worried if the manager was still figuring out his best team and formation a week away from a major tournament. I dont reckon this can be the case though.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Then select fit and inform players? I must admit I do not know much about this England set up and the players but I'd be worried if the manager was still figuring out his best team and formation a week away from a major tournament. I dont reckon this can be the case though.

Which countries aren't still figuring out their best team?
Spain and Germany still seem to be doing it, and Italy and France.

The only team i've read about seemingly knowing it's best team are the hosts who've had two years to prepare and because of their set team have a left alot of seemingly stronger players out.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

The likes of Barkley/Wilshere/Lallana/Sterling have barely ever played together.

I'm sure Roy has a solid idea but it's still worth looking at for minor last minute tweaks.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Oxlade-Chamberlain out for between 10 days and 3 weeks, according to breaking reports on twitter.

I'd still take him, based on the lack of other available options.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Oxlade-Chamberlain out for between 10 days and 3 weeks, according to breaking reports on twitter.

I'd still take him, based on the lack of other available options.

A bit of a dilemma, I'd be tempted to take Stones instean as Milner was terrible at right back last night.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
A bit of a dilemma, I'd be tempted to take Stones instean as Milner was terrible at right back last night.

My work colleague just suggested exactly the same thing. When is the FIFA deadline for swapping injured players? I would be tempted to give it as long as possible to see how the Ox is recovering.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Ox out for 10-21 days, so it could've been worse. Even if it is the longer estimate, he's still worth keeping in the squad; we've got space for 20 outfield players and I'd bet that at least 3 of them won't see any action in the group stage anyway.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
For me you drop Oxo and call up Stones.

Oxo was good going forward last night but didn't close down for the cross for their first goal and he sustained his injury as a result of a clumsy challenge. We have Sterling and Lallana to play out wide with Milner as back-up. Wenger only played Oxo 14 times in the Prem, 20 times in total so he's only a bit-part player for Arsenal.

On the other hand, our defence has looked shaky in both friendlies. Stones could play right-back or play alongside teammates Baines and Jagielka if Cahill / Jones got injured.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
For me you drop Oxo and call up Stones.

Oxo was good going forward last night but didn't close down for the cross for their first goal and he sustained his injury as a result of a clumsy challenge. We have Sterling and Lallana to play out wide with Milner as back-up. Wenger only played Oxo 14 times in the Prem, 20 times in total so he's only a bit-part player for Arsenal.

On the other hand, our defence has looked shaky in both friendlies. Stones could play right-back or play alongside teammates Baines and Jagielka if Cahill / Jones got injured.

Erm, he's not a bit part player for Arsenal at all. He was injured for large chunks of large season otherwise he would have been involved in almost every game.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I would probably keep Ox in the squad just in case, as any replacements realistically aren't going to play any games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here