Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Who will be our next Prime Minister?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
What wasn’t fair about it, well publisised and everyone eligible given a chance to have their say by voting.
More people voted out than in, seems pretty straight forward to me.

From both sides:
Disinformation
Lies
Witholding important facts
Ignoring possible consequences
Calling a referendum under the pretence that the government wanted to give the people a choice when in fact it was a last ditch attempt for Cameron to hold his party together.
Russia and US meddling.
Having a vote on a subject the vast majority of us are not qualified to assess fairly
Changing the law to make the result legally binding.

Lies and more damned lies. It was not a fair nor honest vote.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
If you saw an advert in Autotrader for a perfect condition, fully taxed and MOT’d for 11 months 2010 VW Golf and you discussed it with your wife and both decided that’s the car for you but when you went to view it it turned out to be a 1992 VW Polo untaxed with 1 months MOT and extensive chassis rust what would you do? Shrug and say “well we decided fair and square that’s the car we wanted, we can’t change our minds now, come on kids, in the back, we are sticking with it”.
Of course you ****ing wouldn’t.

Ok, so let’s have a vote to see who will be the next prime minister and after a few month’s let’s have another, as we didn’t mean to to vote them in, in the first place, clueless, you got some nerve.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
From both sides:
Disinformation
Lies
Calling a referendum under the pretence that the government wanted to give the people a choice when in fact it was a last ditch attempt for Cameron to hold his party together.
Russia and US meddling.
Having a vote on a subject the vast majority of us are not qualified to assess fairly

Just the same as any other polling day or referendum and as expected, remember, they are politicians.
Voters have to pick their way through a mine field but the result should stand.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Ok, so let’s have a vote to see who will be the next prime minister and after a few month’s let’s have another, as we didn’t mean to to vote them in, in the first place, clueless, you got some nerve.

Well let’s have a look at that. If they hold a vote to replace May, what have they done? Go on have a good think about it. Bear in mind the public don’t vote on who is PM. So a PM is elected by their party. The PM turns out to be useless. A vote of no confidence is held and they are ousted and replaced.

So, what’s happened there?

NB. I don’t want another vote. I want a complete reversal.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
From both sides:
Disinformation
Lies
Russia and US meddling.

Sounds like a general election to me. Utterly toxic referendum:

1) Put in the Tory Manifesto
2) Party voted in by "us", well actually a small minority of the people. What else was gonna happen when the Tories put up "nice" Dave and Labour lurched to the left after ****ing up Iraq.
3) Passed by parliament
4) Social Media etc....

Sorry gloves off, we know how it works. Horrible inevitability about the whole thing. It's our Parliament / Electoral system that's been exposed as not fit for purpose and the political classes have been fighting against change for years.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Just the same as any other polling day or referendum and as expected, remember, they are politicians.
Voters have to pick their way through a mine field but the result should stand.

Wrong. It’s not the same. This is a legacy vote. It’s result in theory, will stand for generations to come. It’s not up for a vote every four years or so. Totally different.
You’re out of your depth here. Come on, you’re better than this. You might live in Australia but there’s no need to act like an Australian.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I think you may have proved the point you were arguing against there.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Sounds like a general election to me. Utterly toxic referendum:

1) Put in the Tory Manifesto
2) Party voted in by "us"
3) Passed by parliament
4) Social Media etc....

Sorry gloves off, we know how it works. Horrible inevitability about the whole thing. It's our Parliament / Electoral system that's been exposed as not fit for purpose and the political classes have been fighting against change for years.
Damn straight. Depressing tho innit fam. At least we don't support Palace though.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I think you may have proved the point you were arguing against there.

So what is to stop you doing this every few months, that is my point, it would make voting a joke and hence shows the value of the vote.
One vote, one result, have to deal with it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
So what is to stop you doing this every few months, that is my point, it would make voting a joke and hence shows the value of the vote.

It’s catastrophic for the U.K. on every tier. It’s divided the union. It was built on lies. It needs to be overturned. It’s not about democracy it’s about saving the U.K. from itself. For the greater good. Only have to overturn the decision once, not every few months .

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Wrong. It’s not the same. This is a legacy vote. It’s result in theory, will stand for generations to come. It’s not up for a vote every four years or so. Totally different.
You’re out of your depth here. Come on, you’re better than this. You might live in Australia but there’s no need to act like an Australian.

I myself think the vote to leave was the right vote and that history will prove this.
This has also been an example to those who think that anything which needs to be voted on is a foregone conclusion.
I thought my wife was the only person who was always right, seems not.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I myself think the vote to leave was the right vote and that history will prove this.
This has also been an example to those who think that anything which needs to be voted on is a foregone conclusion.
I thought my wife was the only person who was always right, seems not.

I suppose it’s easy to default to fantastical ideals when none of the consequences will affect you in any significant way.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The way the PM is elected is not the same as the way a general election, or a referendum, works. We could have five different PMs in a term who nobody had voted for but their own party.

Your analogy proved the point that it can all be fluid and that therefore a second referendum (or "people's vote") based on the knowledge that people now have would not be making voting on anything "a joke".

The idea is that people could choose now that they know better what the actual options are. Rather than the bullshit that they were previously fed from both sides. What's wrong with that?

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I suppose it’s easy to default to fantastical ideals when none of the consequences will affect you in any significant way.

I still have a lot of family there.
There are other nations within Europe who are independent of the EU straight jacket and still have trade deals etc. seems to work for them.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I still have a lot of family there.
There are other nations within Europe who are independent of the EU straight jacket and still have trade deals etc. seems to work for them.

Then you should know better. I think even you would agree we will look back and regret this whole debacle.

Out of interest, which nations and what deals do they have? Tariffs, negotiable variables etc?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here