Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
When is the Commons vote on May's crappy deal?

Looking forward to the next stage of this shambles when it fails to get through parliament.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
You apply for a visa. If you qualify for one then no. If you don't, then yes. As people keep saying about the UK and the EU, you can't have your cake and eat it! If you don't want a British passport, why would you want to live here for life? Doesn't mean you have to give up your EU passport.

Unless you come from Austria, Estonia, Lithuania, Netherlands, Norway, Slovakia and you'd be forced to give it up. Keep digging but don't fall in...

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Off course not. If you married to someone from the UK, and have children in the UK, then get a UK passport. Why would they be refused. They are here. They have children here. They are married to a British passport holder. Why would you refuse them one.

Why indeed? I told you I could give you an example straight away. Danish lady, been here 40 years, married to a British man, served as a councillor in Ipswich, then as Mayor.
Refused.

The Home Office rejected her application, which cost her £1,282, at the end of January on the basis it “cannot be satisfied” that she was permanently a resident in the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...enied-citizenship-after-almost-40-years-in-uk

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Unless you come from Austria, Estonia, Lithuania, Netherlands, Norway, Slovakia and you'd be forced to give it up. Keep digging but don't fall in...

Then they have a choice to make. If those countries would force them to give up their EU passport, then that's their issue.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Why indeed? I told you I could give you an example straight away. Danish lady, been here 40 years, married to a British man, served as a councillor in Ipswich, then as Mayor.
Refused.

The Home Office rejected her application, which cost her £1,282, at the end of January on the basis it “cannot be satisfied” that she was permanently a resident in the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...enied-citizenship-after-almost-40-years-in-uk

Disgraceful if that's the case. Has she appealed? It is confirmed that its not an error? Did she fill the forms in correctly? Who knows? But I can see no reason why she should be refused.

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
Many EU countries offer so called 'golden visas' very popular with the Russians and the Chinese because it give you free movement within schengen and residency in the country you apply, each one has it's own set of rules to qualify, i know for a fact that in Greece you need to just buy a property to the value of €250,000 whilst owning this it will give you residency renewable every 5 years, it will also allow you freedom of movement within schengen,

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Disgraceful if that's the case.

The Home Office is disgraceful. Perfectly legal citizens who have been here for decades, some of them British citizens are being rounded up and deported because they cannot find the right paperwork to prove they have a right to stay.

Come next March, that will include over 3 million Europeans who had the right to come here and work, contribute to our economy, will suddenly lose their right to stay here.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Thought so, your geography and geopolitical knowledge once again knows no bounds. :lolol:

Europe is not the EU and none of those countries have ever been in the EU. Lincoln Imp was specifically talking about the EU and the UN. [Edit, when the UN were involved.]

You really do have an IQ of 21,Lead for brains.So Cyprus have never been in the EU,Croatia have never been in the EU?Wonder why they have the Euro as their currency in Cyprus?Have the Blue Berets sneaked out of Cyprus when nobody was looking?Pillock.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
The Home Office is disgraceful. Perfectly legal citizens who have been here for decades, some of them British citizens are being rounded up and deported because they cannot find the right paperwork to prove they have a right to stay.

Come next March, that will include over 3 million Europeans who had the right to come here and work, contribute to our economy, will suddenly lose their right to stay here.

Not just the Home Office.Anything staffed by the Civil Service is completely useless.Complete waste of oxygen,the lot of them.If anything ever needed privatising it's the time-serving,self-important,incompetent,uncivil servants.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Then they have a choice to make. If those countries would force them to give up their EU passport, then that's their issue.

This forced citizenship for indefinite leave to remain, any country you are modelling dream regime on?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

I am not disagreeing with you, just surprised to read this. I thought that those here will be given the right to stay, which will be reciprocated in other countries for Brits abroad. Where in all the agreements does it say that the 3 million can thus be deported if it suits us.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
You really do have an IQ of 21,Lead for brains.So Cyprus have never been in the EU,Croatia have never been in the EU?Wonder why they have the Euro as their currency in Cyprus?Have the Blue Berets sneaked out of Cyprus when nobody was looking?Pillock.

Of the image you posted, indicating EUROPEAN countries the UN has been involved with, none were in the EUROPEAN UNION (EU) at the time; ergo (that's latin) the UN was not mediating between EU members.

With regards to Cyprus you have a slight point, although I would still say fatally and completely flawed, as usual. The UN have been involved in Cyprus since 1964, before the EU in its current guise existed (Europe existed at this time just FYI). In addition Cyprus is one member of the EU so the UN has not been mediating between EU members, rather than working within one member state only. Finally the UN is mediating between the Greek side and the Turkish side. Greece is in the EU, Turkey isn't, ergo (that's Latin in case you forgot) the UN has not been mediating between EU members even on that basis, rather a EU member and a non EU member.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I am not disagreeing with you, just surprised to read this. I thought that those here will be given the right to stay, which will be reciprocated in other countries for Brits abroad. Where in all the agreements does it say that the 3 million can thus be deported if it suits us.

Ask the Windrush generation.

Theresa May has already labelled them 'queue jumpers' so sewing the seeds of discontent amongst xenophobes.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
As I hoped was clear, I was referring to the internecine conflicts between the nations of Western Europe and for that reason I disagree. The primary role of NATO isn’t to bring those nations together and I can’t recall a case of the UN having to mediate between EU members but please correct me if you can.

The United Nations blue berets are a Peacekeeping force. They don't mediate.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I am not disagreeing with you, just surprised to read this. I thought that those here will be given the right to stay, which will be reciprocated in other countries for Brits abroad.Where in all the agreements does it say that the 3 million can thus be deported if it suits us.

You are right [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] is just making stuff up #projectfear

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The rebates are a small proportion of our overall massive contributions to the EU so how can the rebate mostly cover the tab?

2016 - £17bn in v £9bn out.

How much will Brexit cost, or do you believe we will make on the deal?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here