Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sam Baldock moves to Reading {CONFIRMED}

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think Clement has focused on bringing in strong characters and leaders this summer, rather than adding quality. We have a lot of players who on their day, are very good, like Swift, Kelly, Barrow, Bacuna. They are just very inconsistent and mentally weak when the chips are down. The squad is probably better than last year (which says a lot). I'm expecting a slightly more solid team but not one that will challenge for anything. Bottom half but not in any real danger.

Are you including Moore in that squad, or assuming he'll leave? Your CB options look a bit dodgy without him.

Sam Baldock is an excellent Championship forward though. Your currently underwhelmed fans will love him soon enough.

theroyal

May 11, 2014
Are you including Moore in that squad, or assuming he'll leave? Your CB options look a bit dodgy without him.

Sam Baldock is an excellent Championship forward though. Your currently underwhelmed fans will love him soon enough.

I think Moore has left it too late and that the right opportunity to hand in a transfer request this summer was when you came in for him last month. It appears that we are digging our heels in a bit with regards to the price too. I don't think Moore can have any complaints with us doing that, considering that he signed a 4 year contract with us last year.

Obviously, I could be entirely wrong, but my gut feeling is that Moore will stay until January. If he does go then I imagine we will replace him with a loan (I think Kortney Hause is rumoured).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I've taken 9/2 on Reading to be relegated this season. Their squad is absolutely terrible, they have a reasonable goalkeeper for that level in Vito Mannone but the rest of the squad is really, really poor.

http://www.footballsquads.co.uk/eng/2018-2019/flcham/reading.htm

I don't dislike Reading, I have no specific feelings about them as a club but I do find this squad to be up there with the Brighton squad of 14/15. Really, really poor quality.

I’m not convinced that their manager is much better than ours was at the time either

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think Moore has left it too late and that the right opportunity to hand in a transfer request this summer was when you came in for him last month. It appears that we are digging our heels in a bit with regards to the price too. I don't think Moore can have any complaints with us doing that, considering that he signed a 4 year contract with us last year.

Obviously, I could be entirely wrong, but my gut feeling is that Moore will stay until January. If he does go then I imagine we will replace him with a loan (I think Kortney Hause is rumoured).

Fair enough. Best hope you're right, as Kortney is unfortunately 'shitHAUSE'.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

This. I've been watching a few video clips of Sam this morning, mainly taken from our promotion winning season, and the one before when we so narrowly missed out. Reading have got themselves one heck of a player there, and from what l can gather at a very good price.

From our point of view, at least as far as our many doubters are concerned, it's probably only now that he has gone, that we realisejust how much he contributed to our recent success.

Good luck to you Sam.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I noticed on SSN they were reporting the fee as £5m. No mention of add-ons, they just said £5m (not sure how they usually make their calculations).

I guess you were wrong.

Yep.

Great business by the Albion grossing £3.5m up to £5m, for a 29 year old with a very unlucky injury record.

IMG_2816.PNG

IMG_2818.PNG

Last edited:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
If true, it means that Baldock is an example of both some of our worst business, and some of our best.

Selling a player with no future at the club in a deal worth up to £5m is amazing. What a window by the club, both in and out.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Why an example of our worst?

In my opinion, which is largely unshared and I'm happy to be in the minority on this one. :thumbsup:

But, in truth, if we did pay £2m for him - we didn't get a whole lot of value for the first two seasons. Ultimately, we ended up in the Premier League so we've spent money on worse.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
If true, it means that Baldock is an example of both some of our worst business, and some of our best.

Selling a player with no future at the club in a deal worth up to £5m is amazing. What a window by the club, both in and out.

Wheres the worst bit of business? Do you not remember how key he was in our promotion season?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Wheres the worst bit of business? Do you not remember how key he was in our promotion season?

I do.

He was the difference between a ‘play-off’ place and an automatic in my opinion.

He was poor under Sami when played as a winger in a odd system and wasn’t much good when injured but overall, a great Albion player.

That Reading match at the Amex where he scored in our promotion season was Peak Baldock. They could simply not handle him, no wonder they splashed the cash.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
In my opinion, which is largely unshared and I'm happy to be in the minority on this one. :thumbsup:

But, in truth, if we did pay £2m for him - we didn't get a whole lot of value for the first two seasons. Ultimately, we ended up in the Premier League so we've spent money on worse.

Fair enough but I think for £1.5 million for a player that played a key role in getting us promoted is great value and no-where near our worst bit of business. Think under Hyppia he was also one of our best players (very low bar obviously!).
Remember he was the same price as Elvis Manu - now that was bad business!

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Fair enough but I think for £1.5 million for a player that played a key role in getting us promoted is great value and no-where near our worst bit of business. Think under Hyppia he was also one of our best players (very low bar obviously!).
Remember he was the same price as Elvis Manu - now that was bad business!

Baldock £1.5m (which only rose to £2m because of his well earned achievements with us).

CMS £3.25m
Suttner £3m
Schelotto £2.6m

With Baldock scoring critical goals that sent us up.

Baldock was great value.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

Ninja Elephant has always had this weird myopic hatred of Sam, backed up by nothing on the pitch.
I have a similar disdain for Loftus-Cheek and can't understand how a player who so consistently plays without contributing assists or goals, manages to pull the wool over everyone else.

There's no point presenting facts or trying to win us round.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ninja Elephant has always had this weird myopic hatred of Sam, backed up by nothing on the pitch.
I have a similar disdain for Loftus-Cheek and can't understand how a player who so consistently plays without contributing assists or goals, manages to pull the wool over everyone else.

This evening I'm going to watch Harry Maguire get his big fat face in the way of the ball, and be told he's Bobby Moore.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

In the WC, the football world thought Loftus-Cheek's cameo's were off the scale, incredible and that he deserved to start in England's best first 11.

I thought he was completely overrated. (Nowt to do on his brief CP connection, as I consider him Chelsea).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here