Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Can anyone recommend a reliable gardener? Or is anyone a reliable gardener?

Been calling a bunch of people from Checkatrade none of whom have responded.

I've got a little front garden at my basement flat which has got some nasty weed tree things I want removing. Had a look online and it said I could just drill down into the roots and pour some bleach on them but I'm about as good at gardening as I am at football and no doubt I'd end up ruining the soil or something.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
If these are just your basic weeds that you can’t pull out then gallop 360 (it’s what I generally use on sites) is good enough..bramble etc then something a bit stronger..photo?

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
There’s a guy who does my old Mums garden
He’s pretty good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
If these are just your basic weeds that you can’t pull out then gallop 360 (it’s what I generally use on sites) is good enough..bramble etc then something a bit stronger..photo?

Photo is a touch dark but it's these blighters:

garden.png

Plan is to get shot of those, maybe get new soil in and just cover it in shingle or something like that. Something I can't kill and doesn't need looking after too much.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

View attachment 99529

Plan is to get shot of those, maybe get new soil in and just cover it in shingle or something like that. Something I can't kill and doesn't need looking after too much.

Hard to be definitive without being there but maybe something a bit stronger like stump killer roundup super concentrate..I use it for stubborn stuff ..should make it a lot easier to then pull out...would be nice if u could level it off...cobble it and some nice decorative pots etc

Ps it would need a bit of live stuff to work on

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I had an allotment years ago and seem to remember killing weeds by covering the soil to block out their daylight (if that's any help).

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Can anyone recommend a reliable gardener? Or is anyone a reliable gardener?

Been calling a bunch of people from Checkatrade none of whom have responded.

I've got a little front garden at my basement flat which has got some nasty weed tree things I want removing. Had a look online and it said I could just drill down into the roots and pour some bleach on them but I'm about as good at gardening as I am at football and no doubt I'd end up ruining the soil or something.

The Gardeners Arms in Lewes never let's me down

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I had an allotment years ago and seem to remember killing weeds by covering the soil to block out their daylight (if that's any help).

My mum said something similar. Treat the weeds and then cover the soil with bin bags for the winter. May end up doing a combination of the Roundup and the covering.

What a shit colour paint

I'll have you know toothpaste green is very hip right now. Ask all the cool kids, they'll tell ya.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

View attachment 99529

Going by the colour of the stems, they could be self-seeded Ash saplings or Dogwoods. All you need is a grubbing mattock (pick-axe type thingy with flat ends rather than pointed on the blade). 5 minute job to grub those out.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5lb-Grub...560221?hash=item4b1c501f9d:g:oM4AAOSwKRJZbOE6
Failing that, just use a decent spade.

Last edited:

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003
agree that they look like stumps and can (with a bit of patience) be dug round and then cut out to soil level. Weedkiller wouldn't kill those

The roots can be left if you are going to gravel over it as it will be an even height with the soil

you could probably buy a cheap hand held axe off ebay for the main stem/trunk, then lay weed control fabric and gravel - all in about £50 for the items

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
A little bit of stump-killing advice for anyone interested?
With any stumps you can't dig out or grind out, you all will have heard of drilling holes in the stump and pouring in various products and possibly plugging with putty?
Where people go wrong is that they drill holes all over the cross section of the stump and especially, right in the middle. This will not be effective as these parts of the stump are inert as such.
The place to drill the holes is just in from the bark, rather like the where the numbers are on a circular clock, or where the doubles are on a dartboard. This is where, on a freshly cut stump, the cells which take water and food through the tree's system will be active and send the product you choose to use, in to the parts that will kill the stump. If you look closely at a freshly cut stump, you should be able to see this layer.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
A little bit of stump-killing advice for anyone interested?
With any stumps you can't dig out or grind out, you all will have heard of drilling holes in the stump and pouring in various products and possibly plugging with putty?
Where people go wrong is that they drill holes all over the cross section of the stump and especially, right in the middle. This will not be effective as these parts of the stump are inert as such.
The place to drill the holes is just in from the bark, rather like the where the numbers are on a circular clock, or where the doubles are on a dartboard. This is where, on a freshly cut stump, the cells which take water and food through the tree's system will be active and send the product you choose to use, in to the parts that will kill the stump. If you look closely at a freshly cut stump, you should be able to see this layer.

I find roundup stump killer particularly effective and spot on how to use it

Last edited:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I find roundup stump killer particularly effective

The secret is where you drill the holes if that's the technique employed. You can buy "plugs" with a chemical in, probably Glyphosate, that you bash in to the holes. Very effective.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here