Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
What are you, 12?

You don't fool me,Greg.When are you starting a thread about cats next?Please remember to take your medication first though.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Coo,extra time.So EU youth unemployment,or indeed adult unemployment,is perfectly ok cos they get free data roaming and travel protection for their job-interview bus ticket if it's cancelled.No wonder the EU is such a fudging mess,with priorities like that.But you Ruminants carry on trying to convince us you're sane!:rotlf:

The difference is, youth unemployment across the EU is not a direct result of EU membership, as is shown by the variation across different member states, whereas consumer protections are a direct benefit to us as EU citizens.
I am not trying to convince you of anything, you are beyond reasoning with.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Coo,extra time.So EU youth unemployment,or indeed adult unemployment,is perfectly ok cos they get free data roaming and travel protection for their job-interview bus ticket if it's cancelled.No wonder the EU is such a fudging mess,with priorities like that.But you Ruminants carry on trying to convince us you're sane!:rotlf:

Indeed, youth unemployment jumping as high as 70% in Greece, suicide rates up 35% after the EU imposed austerity ... but, but we have free data roaming, cheap labour to clean our homes, wash our cars and pick our fruit .. :shootself

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The difference is, youth unemployment across the EU is not a direct result of EU membership, as is shown by the variation across different member states, whereas consumer protections are a direct benefit to us as EU citizens.
I am not trying to convince you of anything, you are beyond reasoning with.
You are surely not serious? Youth unemployment is worst where the strains of having to try to comply with sensible economic measures in the mad rush to join the Euro. Those countries have 'enjoyed' a terrible harvest the past few years and it is DIRECTLY because of the EU.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You are surely not serious? Youth unemployment is worst where the strains of having to try to comply with sensible economic measures in the mad rush to join the Euro. Those countries have 'enjoyed' a terrible harvest the past few years and it is DIRECTLY because of the EU.

Were Greece compelled to join the Euro? Were they compelled to borrow? I admit that they cannot inflate their way out of trouble because they are in the Euro, but they dug their own hole. This is like blaming the doctor that gave you painkillers because you ate the lot in one go.

The strain of having to comply with sensible economic measures, classic.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Were Greece compelled to join the Euro? Were they compelled to borrow? I admit that they cannot inflate their way out of trouble because they are in the Euro, but they dug their own hole. This is like blaming the doctor that gave you painkillers because you ate the lot in one go.

The strain of having to comply with sensible economic measures, classic.

No of course they and others weren't compelled. But the whole world knew that they had cooked the books and the EU leaders ignored the stability pact or whatever it was called. There was a massive amount of publicity about it across Europe and the EU and it strengthened anti-Eu and anti-Euro feeling here a great deal. All for the sake of an ideology. The Euro had a very painful birth which could have been so much better had the powers actually stuck to their own rules. Greece and others, I'm looking at Spain and Italy primarily, would have been saved a lot of heartache.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Fake news [MENTION=396]WATFORD zero[/MENTION] and [MENTION=23343]Baldseagull[/MENTION] will confirm no deal was never going to and isn't going to happen ..100% NSC guarantee. :D

Well, it isn't. I am reasonably content that no one is stupid enough to allow it to happen, the delusion that is still around in the mind of some Tories though, is that the EU will bend to our terms to avoid it, it won't, the EU will offer a very reasonable extension to the timetable, we will accept. If I am wrong about this, good luck to us all.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
No of course they and others weren't compelled. But the whole world knew that they had cooked the books and the EU leaders ignored the stability pact or whatever it was called. There was a massive amount of publicity about it across Europe and the EU and it strengthened anti-Eu and anti-Euro feeling here a great deal. All for the sake of an ideology. The Euro had a very painful birth which could have been so much better had the powers actually stuck to their own rules. Greece and others, I'm looking at Spain and Italy primarily, would have been saved a lot of heartache.

I agree fully.
The EU should not have had some countries in the Euro, like the doctor should not give someone with a history of substance abuse a months supply of painkillers, but the responsibility for not doing anything stupid, even if someone else gives you the opportunity to do something stupid, is still with you.
I disagree that leaving the EU is a rational decision for Britain to take, due to this or any of the other failings of the EU. We should stay in and make the most of the many benefits that it has given us, and work with the other 27 to make it better where it is failing.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I agree fully.
The EU should not have had some countries in the Euro, like the doctor should not give someone with a history of substance abuse a months supply of painkillers, but the responsibility for not doing anything stupid, even if someone else gives you the opportunity to do something stupid, is still with you.
I disagree that leaving the EU is a rational decision for Britain to take, due to this or any of the other failings of the EU. We should stay in and make the most of the many benefits that it has given us, and work with the other 27 to make it better where it is failing.

We agree about something! That's good. A lot of the anti EU feeling has developed since that fudge with the Euro, I really can't see that anything has changed, particularly the bias in power towards the north. I am honestly amazed that the EU has held together this long, that is an achievement I suppose. I like the idea of a far looser organisation, which co-operated economically, perhaps it could be called the European Economic Community lol!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Once again you seem to be assuming because the UK or the EU wouldn't be ready it couldn't possibly happen. Hypothetically speaking I would expect Emergency measures continuing the current arrangments with a transition period until both sides can adjust to the new reality.

So, in the event of 'no deal' the extension of EU membership that you suggest would be an 'Emergency' extension and therefore not an extension at all but a 'no deal'.

One where we wouldn't implement WTO rules and tariffs immediately but continue to pay the EU while we build an Irish border, border posts, lorry parks at all the ports, customs points at all ports and airports, design and build IT and manual systems to manage WTO rules and tariffs and then train up all the staff required ?

You seem to be very clear about this ???

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So, in the event of 'no deal' the extension of EU membership that you suggest would be an 'Emergency' extension and therefore not an extension at all but a 'no deal'.

One where we wouldn't implement WTO rules and tariffs immediately but continue to pay the EU while we build an Irish border, border posts, lorry parks at all the ports, customs points at all ports and airports, design and build IT and manual systems to manage WTO rules and tariffs and then train up all the staff required ?

Good luck with that conversation. The prancing ninny has no shame. :rolleyes:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We should stay in and make the most of the many benefits that it has given us, and work with the other 27 to make it better where it is failing.

You mean, like that's been happening so wonderfully for the last 40 years? Good luck with that one as a vote winner - that will instantly have all leavers rushing to recant!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Perhaps it's only when (OK I'll be kind and say 'if') the job losses begin to mount (etc) that at least some of those who voted on non-economic grounds will perhaps question why they did; it's only the negatives (prices, jobs, public services) that will really impact on the vast majority of people's everyday lives - 'taking back control' is pretty meaningless especially when your job has just gone down the Swannee.

Putting a price on freedom and independence such as remainers do is not in my vocabulary.
How do you measure such a thing with statistics anyway.

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Putting a price on freedom and independence such as remainers do is not in my vocabulary.
How do you measure such a thing with statistics anyway.

Well this is more the sort of language I'd associate with the wartime resistance movements or liberation rhetoric. But if you really think this is the case with our relationship with the EU, then I guess you see it as an absolute, categorical imperative. Blimey.
At the end of the day it just seems to be about fishing in our own waters and not much more. You must have spent the last 50 years while we have been under the iron heel of the EU oppressor feeling very uncomfortable. Let's see what freedom tastes like: dismantle the barricades and breathe the pure air of the truly free. (There might not be much else to do anyway!) :)

Jan 30, 2008
Well, it isn't. I am reasonably content that no one is stupid enough to allow it to happen, the delusion that is still around in the mind of some Tories though, is that the EU will bend to our terms to avoid it, it won't, the EU will offer a very reasonable extension to the timetable, we will accept. If I am wrong about this, good luck to us all.
a "reasonable" extension, still moving the goal posts??? ……………….. "no deal is better than a a bad deal" bye bye EU
regards
DR

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

You ruminants keep on about building an Irish border,but we already have one in place,the Irish Sea.There are hundreds of thousands of movements through the British land bridge and if they get slowed down by 'no deal' that's the Republics problem,not ours.It's their docks that will get swamped,their economy that needs to use our ports and roads,and it's about time that little gnome in Dublin faced up to it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here