Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Giving up drinking

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Mega, mega respect.

But may I ask: do you not feel miserable most of the time? If so, how do you deal with that?

It's only miserable if you think you're missing something.

My drinking had got to the point that I was doing it because I had to not because I wanted to. Once I'd got my head around the whole slave/freedom dynamic it got a lot easier.

I wish I could drink like a normal person but I can't. I just think that I'm better off not being a slobbering, overweight addict. And thems my choices.

I'm really happy now, I'm still really sociable and enjoy myself, I'm just not doing it face down in a skip.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm certainly not an alcoholic although I could drink every day of the week quite happily. This week I have gone virtually the whole week without a drop as I have worked a 6 day week and did not want to feel shat in the mornings.
Then why would you want to give up? I understand the health issues with alcohol, so just do your best to keep it moderate. Giving up though - **** that.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Been think of this myself.
I only usually drink over the weekend, well very heavily on Friday nights, but since the local has started doing a 'Chase the Joker' game on Mondays and Wednesdays I have started going in then as well.
To be honest, if I saved the money spent on Mondays and Wednesday I would win the 'Joker' at least twice a year with the money saved.
Will start next week....................

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
It's great waking up in the morning feeling good with no dehydration. At weekends and bank holidays, when there's nobody about, I'd like to start jogging. Probably need the all-clear from my doctor but it's something that I've been thinking of getting into for a while.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
It's great waking up in the morning feeling good with no dehydration. At weekends and bank holidays, when there's nobody about, I'd like to start jogging. Probably need the all-clear from my doctor but it's something that I've been thinking of getting into for a while.

Make the appointment with the doctor! Good luck.

I see plenty of people out jogging, who've probably just started and who'd probably rather that no-one was watching, but respect to them for doing it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

If you have any questions get yourself over to the running thread. There’s lots of folk on there willing to help new starters and you’ll be welcomed.

Stumpy Tim

Just about to host a BBQ with a lot of friends who love a drink. Got a 6 pack of Nanny State for myself, as well as a bottle of Seedlip 94 & tonic water. Just discovered the latter and it's perfect for summer weather.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

If you have any questions get yourself over to the running thread. There’s lots of folk on there willing to help new starters and you’ll be welcomed.

Was going to post something similar. Running is great for weight loss and, in my experience, also improves your mental health. I jogged on the seafront when I started. I was 16 stone and in ridiculous grey tracksuit bottoms and gym trainers. Did not get a single bad reaction tbh. Once you're a bit more confident then parkrun is an excellent non-judgemental event. The c25k app is decent too.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

Hope you get the all clear Durlston, then get out there and do it, sod other people

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Does anyone drink anymore or are we all teetotalers ?

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro

TBH, having retired and no longer being "young and socially awkward", I can now take it or leave it. It's not something I seek out. A few years ago, my idea of luxury would have been sitting out in the sun with a cold lager or two, but I'm just as happy with a glass of water.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Was going to post something similar. Running is great for weight loss and, in my experience, also improves your mental health. I jogged on the seafront when I started. I was 16 stone and in ridiculous grey tracksuit bottoms and gym trainers. Did not get a single bad reaction tbh. Once you're a bit more confident then parkrun is an excellent non-judgemental event. The c25k app is decent too.

The running community, in my opinion, is one of the most friendly and non-judgemental I’ve come across. And this holds everywhere in the world I have run. Generally always willing to talk, help and encourage.

Stumpy Tim

The trend is downwards for sure. It's cool to be sober these days.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/alcohol-drinking-britain-habits-booze-consumption-ons-data-a7716186.html

The UK's booze culture needs to change in my opinion. Have a good day, celebrate with a drink. Have a bad day, commiserate with a drink. It's a Friday, have a drink. It's a Bank Holiday, have a drink. And then we're told we shouldn't have more than 14 units a week.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
TBH, having retired and no longer being "young and socially awkward", I can now take it or leave it. It's not something I seek out. A few years ago, my idea of luxury would have been sitting out in the sun with a cold lager or two, but I'm just as happy with a glass of water.

Water, it's the only thing the body really needs. I'm a five pints a day man on average.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The trend is downwards for sure. It's cool to be sober these days.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/alcohol-drinking-britain-habits-booze-consumption-ons-data-a7716186.html

The UK's booze culture needs to change in my opinion. Have a good day, celebrate with a drink. Have a bad day, commiserate with a drink. It's a Friday, have a drink. It's a Bank Holiday, have a drink. And then we're told we shouldn't have more than 14 units a week.

14 units a week, lol !

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
Totally agree. Apart from Sober October & Dry January I haven't had less than 14 units a week that I can remember. I'm 9 days into another month off, but might stretch this one longer. I've fallen out of love with alcohol

This. Think I am in a very similar place Stumpy Tim. Regular drinker for 20+ years, but the last few years I have definitely been feeling different about alcohol and realised the amount I was putting away was doing me no favours, mentally or physically. I am 3 weeks into my second month off this year and feel in general so much better. Although its not all black and white, booze defo still has a pull and sometimes I feel like I am missing out. One thing for sure is my mornings and days are always, without fail 110% better, I get so much more done (with a smile on my face!), and seem to get so much more time in the day, especially mornings. But there have definitely been the odd night which I felt could have been enhanced by a few beers! So I still make that association with booze and good times! But if I was to do the maths I definitely feel so much better without it overall. Like everything in life a happy balance is my ideal, whether thats achievable or not we'll see. But yep, definitely changed how I feel towards regular drinking and cant see myself going back to that, life is too short to always take the edge off it at the end of the day!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here