Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dale Stephens

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Controversially I thought DP was slightly better than DS (who was superb).

Really enjoyed that.

This for me and quite easily. Stephens passing was poor at times and suicidal.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This for me and quite easily. Stephens passing was poor at times and suicidal.

I may have to have a good long look at myself in the morning..... but I agree with you. Although....DS was still generally rather lovely.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Disagree, most of Stephens passes went astray. We were outclassed in midfield all night. :shrug:

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
It's always interesting how people see players so differently.

I thought he was a mix of class and errors tonight. He played some beautiful passes, but also at times needlessly gave the ball away.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Not controversial at all. Propper has a great game. Stephens? Poor.

Propper dispossessed twice in critical positions. Made up for it with the run for the first goal.

Stephens poor? He had his best half of football in an albion shirt and his best performance this season.

Disagree, most of Stephens passes went astray. We were outclassed in midfield all night. :shrug:

Outclassed in midfield? What game were you watching? Unforced errors aside, Stephens and Propper were absolute class.

We drew because of two defensive errors, one for Dunk and one for Bruno/Duffy.

Beggars belief sometimes, must have been just me who witnessed Stephens spraying pass after pass to Jose in the first half and winning us back possession time and time again. I seriously suggest you watch the game back if you want to feel stupid.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Anyone describing Stephens as poor can only be headmental. He was outstanding in the first half particularly, only small errors he made were spraying a couple of crossfield passes too high. Propper was also very good, but did get caught twice in dangerous positions and got away with it.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Agree. Awesome first half. Probably worth quite a bit in today's market.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
According to the chap next to me, there was no way deserved man of the match. Think we where both watching a different game.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's always interesting how people see players so differently.

I thought he was a mix of class and errors tonight. He played some beautiful passes, but also at times needlessly gave the ball away.

Same here.....both him and Propper did some great stuff but made some fairly basic mistakes

Daily Mail made Izquierdo MOTM

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Looks to me like Dale has increased the speed of his decisions making and increased the pace of those passes, not rocket science but a big step on for any quality midfielder. I would imagine he's a really good trainer with high concentration levels. Been interesting to see him grow this season I've got a feeling he's going to be top draw!

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Not controversial at all. Propper has a great game. Stephens? Poor.

His passing last night was absolutely ****ing sensational. He made a few mistakes sure, but I don't recall a performance like that from an Albion central midfielder since Vicente (praise be). He commanded the game, made positive, intelligent through passes and sprayed that ball around like he was ****ing Paul Scholes in his prime. And he had a SHOT.

Propper was also class. That run for the goal. Wow.

The two of them in midfield are really exciting. They're going to make a ton of mistakes. For whatever reason, we weren't on top form as a team yesterday. But as they both learn how this league works, I think they'll be the reason we stay up.

.....Poor. Behave yourself Bozza.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I'm afraid I must be headmental then. I honestly thought Stephens and Propper were disappointing. Great positioning and ballwining but clueless at finding a way through. Not enough invention for me. Fine if your away from home but no penetration last night. Maybe that's a bit harsh as Stoke have had years to practice grinding out away draws

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
Stephens and Propper (Gross was in a more advanced role) our two central midfield players, were directly up against Allen, Fletcher, Shaqiri and Sobhi, Stokes four central midfield players. Given they were outnumbered 2:1 they both had exceptional games. It was surprising they only made a couple of mistakes each when they were closed down quickly.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The two balls Stephens gave away across our box in the second half gifting Stoke at least one gilt edged chance marked him down in my book. His long raking passes straight over March's head toward the end of the game were also frustrating at a time when we needed to keep the ball. He played very well, but those mistakes will be goals against better sides, so not motm for me for those reasons.

Propper just edged Stephens for me, I thought he tried to dictate our tempo, looking to speed up our moving of the ball, and obviously his run to create the first goal was the bit of individual genius you need at this level.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Stephens and Propper (Gross was in a more advanced role) our two central midfield players, were directly up against Allen, Fletcher, Shaqiri and Sobhi, Stokes four central midfield players. Given they were outnumbered 2:1 they both had exceptional games. It was surprising they only made a couple of mistakes each when they were closed down quickly.

Fletcher was tasked with Gross most of the game and sat deep. Sobhi played wide with Diouf the other side, looking like reluctant wing-backs. With Fletcher behind, Allen and Shaqiri did occupy that space between the central midfielder and winger which did make it difficult, especially first half. I don't think they were outnumbered as you say, but they both played very well.

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
I agree that Stephens had an excellent game and was my MOTM, however, he was given oceans of space from the opposition and therefore time to make those decisions. I'm not sure he'll have that luxury in the next game!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here