Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What were you beaten with as a child and by whom?

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
It is interesting though isn't it how we all had a bit of 'pain' punishment and here we are today all grounded, respectful and all round good citizens off the back of it.
The irony of that comment, if taken at face value, is that one aspect of us supposedly being grounded, all round good citizens as a result of the beatings we took, is we now recognise, even those who do believe in some form of disciplinary physical punishment, that it is wrong, unnecessary and excessive to beat children with any implement redeployed as what is essentially a weapon.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
My mum had a specific 'smacking stick', it was a small wooden paddle, about a foot in length with a flat head. It delivered a fair crack, even the threat of it had me scampering for safety.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Scrumping somewhere around 3 cornered copse/Woodland drive circa 1968, miserable old codger caught me in his garden and gave me a bloody good clip round the ear. I was 7 or 8 at the time and remember crying and making a big song and dance...so much so, the local beat bobby enquired to why I was sobbing so hard. Shouldn't have told him as he belted me as well!
Numerous sadists at various schools, at the time I really wanted harm to befall them(still do, I hold a grudge)
Never hit at home when young, except one time when my dad totally lost it with me. The shock was enough to ensure I didn't do whatever it was I was doing ever again.
I have two daughters, the youngest was a nightmare from puberty. I'd have quite happily slapped her rather than had to talk to her. She now is a parent herself. how I enjoy watching her go through the crap I had to:wink:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Mrs Chantry tried to hit the naughty boy that sat next to me with the magic wands he was playing with. As she did so, the lead on string that was in the wand came out, and sling shot bast the boy and smacked me in the head. I never recovered.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
It is interesting though isn't it how we all had a bit of 'pain' punishment and here we are today all grounded, respectful and all round good citizens off the back of it.

Kids of today have zero respect for adults or anybody for that matter because there is no deterrent and they know this. Give them a verbal bollocking and they just laugh at you and carry on!

disagree.

Kids today pretty decent.

Far far far better than we were.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
this thread is horrific!

me, well at school I was so quiet and shy that the bigger, louder girls took the blame - :facepalm:

at home, never, but older sibling had already cleared a path and I just learnt to be devious

afcb

Dec 14, 2007
My dad stabbed me in the leg with his fork at the dinner table after I gobbed off one time too many back in the 70's. I still have the 4 prong marks visible in my thigh, he claimed it was an accident. Other than that I was subject to a 'good hiding ' every few months.

Avoided canings at school but we had a teacher who would smash your desk with one of the old police truncheons if you didn't pay attention, more than a few had their hands hit and would sit quietly sobbing for the rest of class or sent to the corridor if their crying was interrupting the flow of the lesson.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The physics teacher used a very heavy book to thwack around the head with, which if you think about it is quite apt when your are given no choice but to instantly consider the physics of force and velocity of a book on the noggin
Explains a lot.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I'm feeling there is a gulf in the definition of "beaten" on this thread.
I was often struck between 1 and 6 [of the best] times with stick [home] or cane [at school] and once mum broke the phone as it was what happened to be in her hand when she lashed out.
I wouldn't call any of these a beating - a beating in my definition is when you are either hit unconscious or unable to walk unaided.

Also, corporal punishment is not about achieving respect - it's simply about behavioural control - hard to respect someone who's giving you a beating.
But if the punishment achieves the objective of behavioural control - it's effective.

Plus, there was no mobile phone or internet to confiscate back then as a sanction punishment ....
I honestly believe the hits [short / sharp pain] I have [justly] received have been more positive than negative to who and what I am today.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
A blackboard rubber , lobbed with unerring accuracy by Frank Ingham during my stint at Patcham Fawcett .

Some of you may wish to look away now ......

View attachment 86542

Frank Ingham is the maths teacher I mentioned in post #47, he was a nightmare.
Many Fawcett teachers threw board rubbers, Denyer could throw one so it bounced on a desk in front of a lad, never saw a board rubber hit anyone but he always covered someone's face with a cloud of chalk dust .

The worse incident I saw was a supply teacher totally losing his rag and throwing a board rubber, it hit the wrong lad who was the nicest kid in the class and never misbehaved or had a bad word for anyone.
This kid had a massive lump on his forehead as this supply teacher threw the board rubber so hard. The whole class turned on the supply teacher verbally, can't remember seeing the teacher again.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm pleased that non-family adults cannot touch kids one little bit now. The old norm was dangerous - use of excessive force, bias against disliked kids, favoured kids being untouched, an open season for violent or perverted figures of 'authority' or just someone in a bad mood to lay into someone half their size.

Even if it was legal, anyone hitting someone else's child would face the force of the parents disapproval.

There are an array of other incentives and punishments that can be used, and millions of kids are being brought up well by parents using them. But it must start at home, with strong parents, otherwise poor teachers have to endure kids who are used to doing whatever they please.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I was taught by Frank Ingham and thought he was a good teacher (rare in that school) and below his curmudgeonly nature was a decent bloke although not a view shared by many,anyway back to the thread,belt at home,slipper,belt cane at school and witnessed various pupils hit with various flying objects and in woodwork saw teacher Harris(now he was a *******)hit a kid around the head with a bit of 4x2.

Frank Ingham frightened the life out of me when I first went to Fawcett, he did retire when I was there and I saw him one lunchtime in Patcham, a few of us had a good chat and laugh with him. He was actually a good teacher as you said.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
I was caned on the arse at primary school for tearing a load of the brick effect wallpaper off the wendy house which the Headmistress had spent a good part of the weekend applying. :lolol:

I was kicked ridiculously hard in the arse in high school by Mr Medland the games teacher after he overheard me say I wasn't going to do hurdles. Being short I could never clear them and ended up knocking them all down with my shins. Ouch!

My Mum used to do what became known in our house as the 'Aya ayas' as she chased me upstairs repeatedly smacking my arse with me shouting Aya! Aya! with every strike! :lolol:

I had various thrashings from Dad, the worst I can remember being after I had told him I had just done my maths homework. He asked to see what I'd done, only for me to realise I'd left all my maths books at school. :facepalm:

That was with a horsewhip that I had found on a previous family holiday.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Sadistic teachers - I remember well "This is Mr Whippy. Mr Whippy doesn't make 'I scream' - he makes you scream." Would be in court for that today.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The one that sucked the most was with my own miniature autograph cricket bat that the whole NZ and Indian team had signed. Ouch .. ."be careful with my bat" .... ow ...

Sumbru Singh?

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
horrible people who thought it was OK to hit children.. one of them being my father who would give us a whack over the slightest "bit of lip"
my poor mum and my brothers and I lived in a house filled with fear which in later life has given us all a few problems with anxiety etc.
he's now just a sad little man living on his own.

one of my proudest things of being a parent is that I have never and will never hit my own children and have therefore broken that chain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here