Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tour De France - is there a better way?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Without team orders, would Froome have won La Vuelta in 2011 if he was allowed to compete rather than handicap himself for Bradley Wiggins (who didn't win it and Froome finished 2nd overall just 13 seconds behind)

Would Froome have won La Tour De France instead of Wiggins in 2012 when he looked to be Sky's strongest rider but again handicapped by team orders (or did Sky want the first winner to be British rather than someone born in Kenya)

Wiggins was the obvious team leader in that Tour in 2012. He was much quicker in the Time Trial, and earned his right to lead.

Froome was stronger then than most people imagined he would be. As team leader, he may have won it, or he may have come in second or third. Who knows?

Wiggins won it. He deserves his legendary status in UK sport.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Wiggins won the 2012 Tour by three and a half minutes. I know the popular narrative has Froome being denied by team orders, but there is no way he would have put three and a half minutes in to Wiggins in 4km on that La Toussuire climb.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
To answer the OP yes confine it to its name Tour De France if the bike riders want one in England start a Tour de Uk.

You really are an idiot, aren't you? There already is a Tour of Britain. A stage of it finished in Brighton last year, and they basically raced past your door in Haywards Heath.

Your answer does not even make sense.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
As much as I like watching the occasional bit, I'm not sure I like a couple of things:

1) Large teams all fighting for 1 person's attempt to win

2) Same finish times for whole groups

The best way, in my opinion, to find the best rider would be:

1) Ok, have teams, but it's every man for himself - every rider out there is trying to win - so no team orders

2) Riders to be fitted with an electrical device to clock their start and finish time exactly - so instead of the Peleton trundling along behind the sprint finish and taking the same time, everyone will be hacking along - seconds count!

So NSC-ers, thoughts?

The best riders are in the top five places, in terms of excitement there are five races going on within the race, overall leader, king of the mountains, points leader, young rider and best team. Mixed in with this we have a prologue, team time trial, sprint stages, climbing stages and stages on the cobbles. We have personalities, crashes, individual duels, breakaways, team tactics, critical analysis and sportsmanship. Surely that's enough. But no challenging the race commissar (referee), no rolling around on the pitch feigning injury, no time wasting, no half hearted effort, no false hardmen and no slagging of other teams in public. Its so not like football, an absolute joy to watch.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You really are an idiot, aren't you? There already is a Tour of Britain. A stage of it finished in Brighton last year, and they basically raced past your door in Haywards Heath.

Your answer does not even make sense.

Didnt know that I just see loads of bikes blocking up the roads and holding up 100s in cars and buses etc. If that is the case why does the Tour De France take in England why not finish it at the Calais blockade. Why do we want or need to encourage France.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Didnt know that I just see loads of bikes blocking up the roads and holding up 100s in cars and buses etc. If that is the case why does the Tour De France take in England why not finish it at the Calais blockade. Why do we want or need to encourage France.

Sigh...

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
If I remember rightly this same thing happened last year.

Le Tour and the Official thread trundle on for nearly 3 weeks.
Then right at the last knockings another thread pops up scattered with comment, conversational pieces and knobby comments.

All very odd.

Well that sure threw a cup of uric acid in the face of the OP!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Can I just refer you too these posts you made last year on threads about the Tour of Britain:

Where do you suggest as I havent found a decent place there yet.

Are they better than Burgys in South Rd, my usual choice in HH but I think Burgess Hill is better served with cafes etc for breakfast.

Couldnt think of anything more boring than watching even more people on bikes, it is the breakfast I want. Must admit I hadnt thought about the renumbering of South Rd and the new relief road.

I was interested to read how a few bikes will completely f..k up the traffic in Haywards Heath, it is bad enough normally with them heading for Ditchling to walk up to the beacon.

Now your talking, which regimental band is it as I havent seen any publicity about it.

Shouldn't that read, 'Approach the lights at speed and shout and swear at any pedestrians crossing, regardless as to whether they have priority' ???
Arent the majority of cycists either on the pavement or going the wrong way up a 1 way street so immune from traffic lights

And these:

Watched it stood outside KFC in Haywards Heath. Can somebody explain why there was a group of about 12 went through and then 8 minutes later the rest. Why was there nobody between them like 2 or 3 mins behind the leading pack. Also thought it was OTT the number of police on motorbikes why so many ? There seemed more than I remember seeing when The Queen travelled back from The Derby by car. Do they hold the following pack up?

Pushed the button before I had checked and finished posting, but then you are perfect!!

So you did know it happened.

You are obviously as proper grown up, a grand parent no less, so why do you feel the need to pointlessly troll cycling threads? I get it with Wrong Direction, he is just a wind up merchant, but I would have thought you would be above that sort thing. You get enough unnecessary grief on here as it is, so why encourage people to dislike you?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
If I remember rightly this same thing happened last year.

Le Tour and the Official thread trundle on for nearly 3 weeks.
Then right at the last knockings another thread pops up scattered with comment, conversational pieces and knobby comments.

All very odd.

Well that sure threw a cup of uric acid in the face of the OP!

:lolol:

Stat Brother seems to be genuinely affronted that somebody other than him has started a thread about the Tour de France and even affronted that others have had the bare-faced cheek to contribute to it.

Probably time he took a break from NSC.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Wiggins won the 2012 Tour by three and a half minutes. I know the popular narrative has Froome being denied by team orders, but there is no way he would have put three and a half minutes in to Wiggins in 4km on that La Toussuire climb.
I think Froome lost some time with a mechanical earlier in the Tour, and wasn't helped out, so could have been closer, but it's immaterial. Froome was there to support Wiggins, that was his job. Froome wouldn't have won this year without amazing support from his team. Even on this last day he got towed up the Alp (I have no idea how). He lost about 1:20 against a guy who tackled half of the mountain without support.

You really are an idiot, aren't you?
Bens Grandad, an idiot? That's outrageous, I'm not having it!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

The OP seems to be genuinely affronted that somebody other than him has started a thread about the Tour de France and even affronted that others have had the bare-faced cheek to contribute to it.

Far from it, it just strikes me as odd, that for this to happen.
In with all the mongs acting mongy, who are more than welcome on a separate thread, there's some cracking talking points.

Why have them here, at the last knockings of the race.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008

Stat Brother seems to be genuinely affronted that somebody other than him has started a thread about the Tour de France and even affronted that others have had the bare-faced cheek to contribute to it.

God forbid if you're BG! One of several 'closed shops' on here (Live Music, Cycling, Craft Ale and Rimming being the most prominent examples of threads where outsiders aren't welcome and only a 10 year+ history of posting on the thread will permit your contributions to even be acknowledged by the regulars)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here