Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Older Ages, "Retirement Planning" & Death (don't read if sensitive issues)

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I'm a long way off retirement but even so I wish I had planned better when I was younger, but we are where we are.

The costs of just day-to-day living and bringing up a young family in a village in the Home Counties means extra cash to invest for the future is never going to be in abundance. I've been paying into a pension for years, but it still looks like my best hope for a life of carefree luxury in my retirement is to rattle off a best seller. If only it was so easy.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I'm a long way off retirement but even so I wish I had planned better when I was younger, but we are where we are.

The costs of just day-to-day living and bringing up a young family in a village in the Home Counties means extra cash to invest for the future is never going to be in abundance. I've been paying into a pension for years, but it still looks like my best hope for a life of carefree luxury in my retirement is to rattle off a best seller. If only it was so easy.

I intend to pen a best seller of my 42 years of life (so far) as a poor plumber.
My Dad said he will go to the library and borrow it.
:moo:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I've kept a spreadsheet of my personal finances for the last 19 years. I have recorded all income and expenditure on a monthly basis, updated nett worth every month and projected forward how many years I can maintain my current standard of living, should I choose to retire in the following month.

But then, as someone said to me at work today, "Remember, some people on the Titanic waved the dessert trolley away."

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Looking to retire late 50s 60 absolute latest. I want to spend the inheritance whilst I can still enjoy it. Have paid into sharesaves for years to supplement me for a few years

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I've kept a spreadsheet of my personal finances for the last 19 years. I have recorded all income and expenditure on a monthly basis, updated nett worth every month and projected forward how many years I can maintain my current standard of living, should I choose to retire in the following month. I'd like to think that I have covered all eventualities and won't be subject to any nasty surprises in the years ahead.

You could always rob a bank :moo:

That's my pension plan :guns:

You don't drink do you :drink:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You should have been whacking £70-£100 a month away in to a pension scheme since you were about 30 to have any hope of a decent pension, I have a lapsed personal pension that I could only afford to contribute to for about 8 years and a company one with 11 years contributions and I really don't have much to show for it.

My more recent employers finally started a pension scheme thanks to government legislation and their estimate of my pension from the scheme ( if it performs at 6% ABOVE inflation ! ) with the company's contribution means I will trouser a pension of £345 A YEAR ! This for 12 years contributions ! ....

I have given up any hope of a " Comfortable " retirement and am going to have to eke out my savings and progressively downsize my house depending on my health.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
That sounds about right for him.
I guess you work for BT?
sounds like it... those sort of deals dried up though

The latest paid leaver scheme is (for me with 32+ years) one years money

Still a decent pension too, should be able to go in about 4 years with a £100k lump sum and £18k/year (I've been putting extra into it for a while to boost it)

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I'm 29 and my private pension is due to kick in at 59 - because I started paying in at 19. The way returns have been going the last few years, I'll be able to get an annuity for about 8 quid a week; or draw down and hope I don't live too long. Going to be rather more dependent on whatever the state can afford by then than I wanted to me.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I'm 29 and my private pension is due to kick in at 59 - because I started paying in at 19. The way returns have been going the last few years, I'll be able to get an annuity for about 8 quid a week; or draw down and hope I don't live too long. Going to be rather more dependent on whatever the state can afford by then than I wanted to me.

I've told you - rob a bank
[MENTION=26444]Wrong Direction[/MENTION] has been planning this for years.
Once he gets a balaclava he is ready to go:p

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Yes, the dilemma is you don't know the end date or how much poor health you'll have to make your life a misery.

So , yes make a plan but don't be afraid to the change it. And, for fvcks sake, enjoy the journey - you've only got one

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I've told you - rob a bank
[MENTION=26444]Wrong Direction[/MENTION] has been planning this for years.
Once he gets a balaclava he is ready to go:p

I did actually make a killing on a dead cat bounce of bank shares back in the bank crash; and invested them in a ferry company shortly before the Icelandic volcano... about as close as I'm going to get to daylight robbery and it was entirely lucky!

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I did actually make a killing on a dead cat bounce of bank shares back in the bank crash; and invested them in a ferry company shortly before the Icelandic volcano... about as close as I'm going to get to daylight robbery and it was entirely lucky!

We have a lot in common.

A cat bounced off my bonnet once :ohmy:

It had used up its nine lives unfortunately :moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here