Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pay your taxes Boris!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
http://gu.com/p/43f85

This could get very interesting. If he hasn't been paying any US tax, which is what is being suggested, his back-dated bill will be huge.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
http://gu.com/p/43f85

This could get very interesting. If he hasn't been paying any US tax, which is what is being suggested, his back-dated bill will be huge.
Don't worry too much Herr Tub...he is joining a host of stars and celebritities that find tax loopholes...and as said in the article...swings and roundabouts....U.S. Embassy refuse to pay London congestion charge...and soon you can rejoice ...as it's not long now....Labour with a seven point lead...er...oops!¬

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Do you pay taxes to Germany & Britain, Herr Tubthumper?

The rules for US passport holders are different. As I understand it US passport holders have to pay tax above a threshold even if they are not resident in the US. So they are in effect taxed twice. The UK does not do this. But, as it happens, I do pay a small amount of UK tax on some UK earnings but as I'm not resident in the UK it ultimately ends up in Germany as I am taxed on world-wide income here. As I understand it, it is in effect, a credit towards my German tax bill which the Germans will request from the HMRC.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The rules for US passport holders are different. As I understand it US passport holders have to pay tax above a threshold even if they are not resident in the US. So they are in effect taxed twice. The UK does not do this. But, as it happens, I do pay a small amount of UK tax on some UK earnings but as I'm not resident in the UK it ultimately ends up in Germany as I am taxed on world-wide income here. As I understand it, it is in effect, a credit towards my German tax bill which the Germans will request from the HMRC.

He left the States when he was 5. The Capital Gains tax is on a property that he bought & sold in the UK.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I actually don't have a problem with him not paying it - an utterly bonkers way to run tax collection. Could be interesting if he becomes Tory leader - will they arrest him when flies to the USA ?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is ludicrous. He hasn't lived in the US since his first year of primary school and yet they expect him to pay tax? There must be more to this than meets the eye.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This is ludicrous. He hasn't lived in the US since his first year of primary school and yet they expect him to pay tax? There must be more to this than meets the eye.

Not at all - that's how their system works.

If you wish to be a US citizen, you pay tax to the US. If you live and work abroad, the first £62,000 is not US taxable, but anything over that is.

Same for every US citizen (passport holder). If Boris wants to retain his US passport, for whatever benefit or reason, he can't then on the other hand declare himself 'not really a...' US citizen.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He left the States when he was 5. The Capital Gains tax is on a property that he bought & sold in the UK.

It does not matter. As Hans has pointed out it is how their system works and it is on world-wide income.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Not at all. The law is quite simple and as Hans has stated.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What about the Double Tax Treaty with the USA? Any tax he's suffered here should get recognised in the States.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

This, as much as I hate the tories, tax dodging and boris johnson the fault in this case really does rest with the US' absolutely bonkers tax laws.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This, as much as I hate the tories, tax dodging and boris johnson the fault in this case really does rest with the US' absolutely bonkers tax laws.

There is no 'fault.' It's just a different way of doing things. If he does not like it then he could always relinquish his passport. He has dual-nationality so no one is forcing him to keep it.

SAC

May 21, 2014
It is a bonkers system but it is their law and it doesn't look good for a London major and probably a MP at the next election not to be paying his tax.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Anyone that likes or respects Boris is a complete and utter tosspot

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Could be interesting if he becomes Tory leader - will they arrest him when flies to the USA ?

As a criminal certainly. And he has claimed he is of Turkish descent so it's surely Guantanamo for Boris.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
There is no 'fault.' It's just a different way of doing things. If he does not like it then he could always relinquish his passport. He has dual-nationality so no one is forcing him to keep it.

I really don't know the answer, but I'm guessing that it must be pretty hard to relinquish the passport as this would be a potentially very straight forward way to avoid US tax?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What about the Double Tax Treaty with the USA? Any tax he's suffered here should get recognised in the States.

As I understand it, this is to facilitate payment of tax bills, not determine tax bills. The idea being you do not pay the same bill twice. Boris will have two separate bills.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here