Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Liam Moore

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Moved onto Jack O'Connell for 6 mill supposedly from Sheff utd..
https://twitter.com/bramalllanehq/status/1013534024332206081

Looks a bit lighweight.. .

jackocon.jpg

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Thrashed by quite a few teams? who? apart from Liverpool and Chelsea thrashed us? In any case the name of the game last season was simply survival at any cost, and we managed that with something to spare.

l think we will start the season with Dunk and Duffy as our centre back pairing, and indeed those two playing together, are one of our strongest assets, and the envy of many a Premier League club.

We've only kept 1 clean-sheet this calendar year.

In our last 10 games we conceded 18 goals.

Our defence can't cope with pace. Liverpool put 9 past us in 2 games. Chelsea scored 6 in 2. Even Leicester put 4 past us in 2 games. They all have pace going forward.

I reckon CH is looking for a pacey defender who can knock the ball around comfortably. So many times last season, whenever we were up against pace, the midfield practically became the defence too. We had to play so deep, you knew we had no chance of winning. More pace and skill at the back and we'd be able to hold and play the ball around in the way the top teams do it.

At the moment, Duffy just plays it square to Dunk. Very rarely will he try to feed the wingers with a threaded pass. The way we switch play is far too predictable for the opposition to read. If we could get another defender as skilled as Dunk on the ball, we'd have so much more control against the top teams. Counter-attacking moves would be a fear for the opposition so they'll sit back more knowing both our defenders can play a decent pass with lightening quick wingers on both flanks (if we sign our targets).

Both Dunk and Duffy have done well to keep us up, but Bloom is now talking about getting us to the next level in Prem football. He wants us competing with the top teams better than we are at the moment, which is great news for us. That'll mean good 1st team players being replaced by even better players, and it looks to me like our main priority this transfer window is improving the defence.

Last edited:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
We've only kept 1 clean-sheet this calendar year.

In our last 10 games we conceded 18 goals.

Our defence can't cope with pace. Liverpool put 9 past us in 2 games. Chelsea scored 6 in 2. Even Leicester put 4 past us in 2 games. They all have pace going forward.

We were behind only the top six and Burnley for clean sheets throughout the season: https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/clean_sheet?se=79

Of the 18 goals we conceded in the last ten games 7 came in matches against the top two after safety had been guaranteed. Before that we kept a clean sheet against Man Utd.

Liverpool scored 4+ in nine league games last season. A couple of weeks before our last game they scored 5 against Roma. Chelsea didn't beat us with pace, Hazard and Willian passed through us. None of Leicester's goals against us were the result of defenders not being able to cope with pace. Two of them were from set pieces, an area where we conceded far more than against pace throughout the season.

Other than that, carry on.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
We were behind only the top six and Burnley for clean sheets throughout the season: https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/clean_sheet?se=79

Sorry, my mistake. We've only had 2 clean sheets this calendar year.

Of the 18 goals we conceded in the last ten games 7 came in matches against the top two after safety had been guaranteed. Before that we kept a clean sheet against Man Utd.

I never understand this sort of logic. So because we'd secured safety the defence went into relaxation mode allowing the opposition to score when they want. Fair enough...
IMO we conceded loads of goals against them because of the difference in standard. Something we should improve on.

Liverpool scored 4+ in nine league games last season. A couple of weeks before our last game they scored 5 against Roma. Chelsea didn't beat us with pace, Hazard and Willian passed through us.
Have you already forgotten Hazard's 2nd goal? Very counter attacking. Loads of pace on show.

None of Leicester's goals against us were the result of defenders not being able to cope with pace. Two of them were from set pieces, an area where we conceded far more than against pace throughout the season.
Leicester's pace destroyed us last season. That was the main difference between them and us. Just because they scored goals from set-pieces doesn't mean we coped with their pace.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Why does it though? They're not exactly classic wingers are they. Neither goes to the byline to cross the ball in, both of them cut inside all the time to get into the corner of the box, neither has a great cross, both have a good shot. I think they'd love the freedom of a 3-5-2, in the Sterling and Lingard roles of the current England formation.

In my opinion they are classic wingers.

And how do you see them fitting in a 3-5-2 ?

I just don't see a place for genuine wide men in a 3-5-2

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
In my opinion they are classic wingers.

And how do you see them fitting in a 3-5-2 ?

I just don't see a place for genuine wide men in a 3-5-2

I see them fitting exactly how I said. In my mind classic wingers stay wide, hug the touchline, get to the byline and cross onto the striker's head. Knockaert in particular likes to get into or in front of the box, and Izquierdo almost never crosses with his left foot.

Not to say they're not exciting on the wing, and this is all hypothetical because if on the small chance CH does switch to 3-5-2 I'd reckon it would be the end for one or both as regular starters

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I see them fitting exactly how I said. In my mind classic wingers stay wide, hug the touchline, get to the byline and cross onto the striker's head. Knockaert in particular likes to get into or in front of the box, and Izquierdo almost never crosses with his left foot.

Not to say they're not exciting on the wing, and this is all hypothetical because if on the small chance CH does switch to 3-5-2 I'd reckon it would be the end for one or both as regular starters

i often wondered with my minuscule footballing mind why izzy and knock didn't swap wings occasionally....i see us operating a 4-4-2 for some "easier" games and the 4-5-1 for the more problematic ones.......on a side not i really liked the look of Simon Kjaer , the Danish LB , big strong boy , very mobile and has a monster throw on him ...currently at sevilla.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
i often wondered with my minuscule footballing mind why izzy and knock didn't swap wings occasionally....i see us operating a 4-4-2 for some "easier" games and the 4-5-1 for the more problematic ones.......on a side not i really liked the look of Simon Kjaer , the Danish LB , big strong boy , very mobile and has a monster throw on him ...currently at sevilla.

He wasn’t the guy doing the throw ins ... that was Knudsen who is at Ipswich

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere

You're confusing 2 players. Knudsen the left back plays for Ipswich, he has the long throw.

Simon Kjær is the CB who plays for Seville.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
He wasn’t the guy doing the throw ins ... that was Knudsen who is at Ipswich

You're confusing 2 players. Knudsen the left back plays for Ipswich, he has the long throw.

Simon Kjær is the CB who plays for Seville.

naah knudsen was taking throws from the right kjaer from the left ....and he has a very long throw as does the other lad .....if you say he is a CB then i believe you ....i couldn't find a pic of his bird......still busy with the brazilian's bit ...:thumbsup:

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
naah knudsen was taking throws from the right kjaer from the left ....and he has a very long throw as does the other lad .....if you say he is a CB then i believe you ....i couldn't find a pic of his bird......still busy with the brazilian's bit ...:thumbsup:

No.. was the same guy from both sides, that’s why the fans were whistling and getting irate because was taking so long

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
No.. was the same guy from both sides, that’s why the fans were whistling and getting irate because was taking so long

ok ok .....a bit of research has confirmed he is a right footed cb who has played at fenerbache , ac milan and now sevilla ...he is 28 and his missus is mint....scuse me..! probably out of our price range anyway.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
ok ok .....a bit of research has confirmed he is a right footed cb who has played at fenerbache , ac milan and now sevilla ...he is 28 and his missus is mint....scuse me..! probably out of our price range anyway.

Weren’t we linked to him when he was leaving Fenerbahce ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here