Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think you mean disorganised. You seem to have got thick right though, you must hear it a lot.

A pedant writes. Unorganised and disorganised are two distinct words. If your wife is normally a very together person but, on this occasion, hasn't sorted out the passport, unorganised is right. If she's normally a complete idiot and can't organise the proverbial piss-up, then disorganised is correct.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Which doesnt change the fact those United States would not join a transnational political union such as the EU, or even have the nerve to recommend such a thing to its own citizens. The devolved powers individual states have of regulating intrastate commerce at differing levels would alone be widely refused by the population if those powers were lost to a central executive such as the EU.

They are in a transnational political union, it's called the United States of America, they all have to use the same currency, are subject to Federal law and pay state and federal taxes, a Texan can go and work in New York without a visa, and they have a United States Army, I think all this is a good basis for us and the EU to follow.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A pedant writes. Unorganised and disorganised are two distinct words. If your wife is normally a very together person but, on this occasion, hasn't sorted out the passport, unorganised is right. If she's normally a complete idiot and can't organise the proverbial piss-up, then disorganised is correct.

Is that so? I stand corrected.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

Bravo!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Rees-Mogg setting up business in Ireland, John Redwood advising "elsewhere" to anyone with UK holdings, and now Lord Ashcroft advising Malta as the place to be for UK businesses with dealings in the EU.
Those sunny uplands they were talking about are real, just that they are in Malta, or "elsewhere."

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just renew your passports in good time you pair of plums.

Easier said than done if you travel a lot, especially with the anachronisistic UK Passport Office.

D

Deleted member 22389

Easier said than done if you travel a lot, especially with the anachronisistic UK Passport Office.

It's a damn site better than a lot of other countries. At least with the UK passports you can renew through the post. When we renewed my mums Italian passport we had to get her fingerprints done, and because my mum is 83 years old and couldn't handle the journey to London on the train, the next nearest place after that was Bedford. The Ashford office closed due to lack of funds, and the people working at Bedford work for Free, as the Italian government no longer funds it. All together the passport cost £110.00, and it's still not right.

Last edited by a moderator:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I knew that would be the exact response. Yes, all well and good except for reasons I won't go into on here she couldn't renew it promptly. My point, which you have (deliberately?) failed to grasp, is that, at present, should there be something that prevents one from renewing in time then as an EU citizen it is no hassle. As opposed to next year when it will be a hassle. Well, more than a hassle, it will be impossible. See?

Check and send is no hassle at all and you can get your new passport back in just a few days, especially if you are organised enough to renew avoiding school holiday periods.
If your girlfriend uses the internet tell her she can find a post office near her that offers this service

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/branch-finder

You can renew up to 9 months before expiry and you wont have these sort of issues,so plenty of time for forward planning, wont help your girlfriend cease being disorganised though, buy her some post it notes for that.
It is pretty crackers someone allows their passport to drop to within 3 months of being invalid, can understand it with people who very rarely travel and don’t have a clue when their passport expires, but seriously though, have a word with her. Does she have a new fangled phone that could remind her that her passport is just about to become useless for much of the planet?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

I travel a lot, was capable enough of working out a window for renewal that even with delays would not be a problem.(be sensible enough to avoid school holidays)
Had mine back within a week with text updates on processing and delivery.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
They are in a transnational political union, it's called the United States of America, they all have to use the same currency, are subject to Federal law and pay state and federal taxes, a Texan can go and work in New York without a visa, and they have a United States Army, I think all this is a good basis for us and the EU to follow.

Im sure you could have worked out if you had bothered that in the context of “ those United States would not join a transnational political union such as the EU” that it refers to the internal domestic state collective nationhood of the USA extending itself internationally into another bloc of separate nations such as the EU

The voters have rejected the Europhile dream of a “good basis” to ever closer union with a unified currency and a European Army. Not to mention no visas for workers across international borders.
But at least you are honest enough to admit this is an end game intention, plenty of remainers would deny this is even a EU goal. Your honesty on a Euro currency for all and a EU army for all like the USA, at least rubbishes their false denials.
Brexit could do with more whistle blowers like you......thanks

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Last time I renewed I did it online and had my passport within a week and that was in the summer when they would have been busy. Hardly anachronisistic.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Mrs The Clamp got the chance for a last minute trip to Italy this week. Her passport has less than three months until renewal. Being an EU citizen of course, this posed absolutely no problem. As opposed to next year when she would not have been able to go. Just another one of the everyday negatives of Brexit that will pile up and pile up. Sigh.

If that's your argument for staying in the EU then it's very weak. It reminds me of the pathetic argument many in favour of joining the Euro used - "but it will mean we don't have to change our money when we go on holiday" :facepalm:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Last time I renewed I did it online and had my passport within a week and that was in the summer when they would have been busy. Hardly anachronisistic.

It’s very different if you are abroad. And compared to other nations, who can just rock up at their embassy, it is anachronistic.

D

Deleted member 22389

Same for me too, it wasn't any hassle at all. Like I said try getting an Italian passport renewed, hassle. Information is a nightmare, no system, but that's Italy all over. Always been the same.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Yesterday's summit seems to have gone well. Of course there will be differences between 28 sovereign nations but notwithstanding Brexit I'm still impressed that the EU gives a decision-making forum between nations which works. This is without the Commission of the ECJ laying down the law on the matter. Like some football teams, the EU seems to 'find a way' to deliver some sort of result in the face of astonishingly complex challenges.

There: time for some targeted vitriol from the 'phobes, but, please, with an alternative inter-governmental structure that would bring heads of governments to the table?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yesterday's summit seems to have gone well. Of course there will be differences between 28 sovereign nations but notwithstanding Brexit I'm still impressed that the EU gives a decision-making forum between nations which works.

Britain can’t even organise a government which can make decisions.

D

Deleted member 22389

Yesterday's summit seems to have gone well. Of course there will be differences between 28 sovereign nations but notwithstanding Brexit I'm still impressed that the EU gives a decision-making forum between nations which works. This is without the Commission of the ECJ laying down the law on the matter. Like some football teams, the EU seems to 'find a way' to deliver some sort of result in the face of astonishingly complex challenges.

There: time for some targeted vitriol from the 'phobes, but, please, with an alternative inter-governmental structure that would bring heads of governments to the table?

Does that mean Hungary, Poland, Czech Republic and Slovakia are going to take they fair share of refugees, or are they still saying listening to their people and saying no.

https://www.politico.eu/article/brussels-takes-on-most-of-the-visegrad-group-over-refugees/

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Same for me too, it wasn't any hassle at all. Like I said try getting an Italian passport renewed, hassle. Information is a nightmare, no system, but that's Italy all over. Always been the same.

I would agree, renewed my passport in New Zealand and it wasn’t a drama at all

Problem is this new blue passspirt will no longer be a ticket to ride, the feeling of complete betrayal of our kids and grandkids by the older generation will be felt for decades

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here