Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Micky Adams, my worst hour.

Oct 25, 2003
Which, by the way, is saying something because we signed them all as a fourth tier club. Plus adding in Michel Kuipers who was Championship class all day long, once he'd emerged.

Except Carpenter who joined the team for Division 2 winning season in 01/02. What a team he put together. All Peter Taylor had to do was add Junior Lewis and we were away!

I'm sure we had Carpenter in Division 3. We added very few players to the starting 11 for the next season- it was only really Simon Morgan and the aforementioned Lewis (Steve Melton also went from being a squad player to having a tad more prominence under Taylor)

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm sure we had Carpenter in Division 3. We added very few players to the starting 11 for the next season- it was only really Simon Morgan and the aforementioned Lewis (Steve Melton also went from being a squad player to having a tad more prominence under Taylor)

Definitely not - THE David Cameron wore #12 in that Division 3 winning season, Richard Carpenter signed for the 00/01 season, along with the brilliant Simon Morgan who I'd completely forgotten! What a player he was. I don't want to have a go at Andy Crosby, but Morgan was such a step up in class.

We'd signed big Dirk Lehmann for that 01/02 season as well, but we rightly don't remember him as adding anything. :lolol:

Oct 25, 2003
yep, Carpenter was definitely part of the Division 3 winning side- the team was generally:

Kuipers/Cartwright

Watson Cullip Crosby/Wicks Mayo

Carpenter Rogers Oatway

Hart Zamora Brooker/Jones

the following season before Adams left we went a bit more 4-4-2 with:

Kuipers

Watson Cullip Morgan Mayo/Jones

Hart Carpenter Oatway/Rogers Brooker/Jones

Zamora Steele

and Taylor switched back to mainly using a 4-3-3 with Melton & Lewis joining Carpenter in midfield quite often

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think you're missing a season. David Cameron was here for the first season at Withdean in 1999 when we were mid-table. Carpenter signed in 2000 for the season we won the league.

Yep, you're absolutely right, apologies to [MENTION=1349]turienzo's lovechild[/MENTION].

Matt Wicks was magnificent on Football Manager, but so slow and ponderous in reality. A really, really poor man's version of Matt Upson!

Geoff Pitcher was a massive disappointment the following season, he'd been so good in the Conference the season before and signing him was a real coup.

Oct 25, 2003
Yep, you're absolutely right, apologies to [MENTION=1349]turienzo's lovechild[/MENTION].

Matt Wicks was magnificent on Football Manager, but so slow and ponderous in reality. A really, really poor man's version of Matt Upson!

Geoff Pitcher was a massive disappointment the following season, he'd been so good in the Conference the season before and signing him was a real coup.

yeh we looked much better with the determined Crosby at the back than with Wicks- as you mentioned earlier, Morgan was FAR better but Crosby was a pretty adequate centre back- and didn't he spend some time in the championship with Scunthorpe later in his career? Not sure what happened to Wicks- did he get injured?

I think Pitcher was a victim of trying to get into a very established midfield and not getting enough time to be able to adapt to league football- possibly a bit tubby as well?

Greville Waterman

Aug 3, 2016
We are trying to arrange a Q&A evening which would reunite Micky Adams with Bob Booker. Probably in mid to late November at a venue to be confirmed. is this something that you would welcome and want to support and ideally attend?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here