Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] World Cup players that have impressed you, outside of the usual suspects!

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Everyone keeps saying this, but the one time I noticed him was when he was at fault for Portugal's goal.

His positioning and reading of the game is exceptional, doesn't get fazed and keeps it super simple with the ball.

Honouree mention to Lucas Torreira who plays just in front of the CBs, another diminutive CM with great positional sense and the ability to recycle the ball effectively, who I think Arsenal have bought today for 17m!

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Hirving Lozano the young Mexican lad who's at PSV. Unfortunately my scouting skills aren't great as after I said to my son that he would be quality for us, I heard a commentator say that Barcelona were interested in signing him. Oh well.

Anyway, hope he tears Brazil a new one this afternoon and Neymar cries, the prick.

Lozano was always going to be quality at this tournament, has had an unbelievable year at PSV.

Despite a pretty dire group stage, I was quite impressed by Pavard, someone I had never heard of, against Argentina (the goal of the tournament did help).

Guillermo Varela also impressed me for Uruguay. Completely missed that he was a Utd reject.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
That young French FB that scored the equaliser against the Argies. Pavard?? I know he was seeking retribution for the mistake that led to Argies second, but by eck what a comeback! Looked decent in position too despite the aforementioned error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
His positioning and reading of the game is exceptional, doesn't get fazed and keeps it super simple with the ball.

Honouree mention to Lucas Torreira who plays just in front of the CBs, another diminutive CM with great positional sense and the ability to recycle the ball effectively, who I think Arsenal have bought today for 17m!

Torreira is the player Arsenal have been searching for, for years. Well worth checking out this Tifo football for a bit more info!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I reckon Domagoj Vida is destined for bigger and better things than Besiktas - he's been superb throughout the tournament. Same goes for Viktor Claesson of Sweden, currently playing at Krasnodar in Russia. I'd take him like a shot.

He has a horrible head and hair. I think I'd look away from the big screen at the game's beginning, just after magician beard Lewis Dunk disappears.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Ahmed Musa was very good for Nigeria, of course. Wonder what Leicester fans made of that?

In fact the whole Nigerian side impressed me, they looked the real deal and were close to knocking Argentina out, in four years time they could be well-positioned to go far

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Mexican midfield of Guardado and Herrera were SUPERB in the Germany game.

A worry for Mexico is that they looked absolutely shattered in the final group game, having played almost exactly the same team for all 3 games...

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I like the look of Augustinsson, the Swedish left back. Plays for Werder Bremen.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Thought the Senegalese RW looked quality, can’t remeber the name though, also though Carrillo looked pretty decent for Peru along with the Colombia RB Arias apart from some of the ones already mentioned these have all caught my eye

Agree, Ismaïla Sarr (Senegal) and I noted Pedro Aquino (Peru).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here