Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amazon Echo / Alexa music

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
For better funtionality and sound, you can connect them to Sonos (Sonos receiver & your hifi, or just Sonos speakers).
Sonos are working with Amazon to make the systems integrate properly in 2017 (possibly early).

Only the Play 5 (the big one), as it has line in and the 1 and 3 don't. At least that was my understanding from a quick read earlier this morning.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I expect the only thing I'll use the Dot for is to ask it how ****ed my trains are each morning. I expect I'll still check my phone to confirm anyway.

I bought mine for this - and the built-in National Rail skill is pretty clunky, sadly. There's an alternative skill which is slightly better.

I just want to ask "When is the next train to?" or "When are the next trains to?" - it should know where I live.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Only the Play 5 (the big one), as it has line in and the 1 and 3 don't. At least that was my understanding from a quick read earlier this morning.
No, it will work with them all. The line in is not what you want. That would use the Echo's poor wifi and rubbish DAC. Instead, you give the command to Echo which will then send the instuctions to the Sonos which will play music from your PC/internet in the usual way. This will use the Sonos wifi or Ethernet (if used) and their DAC etc.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
You're speaking to an expert.

That's a pretty good option, but let's step back a second. Did you get the tall Echo with the big speaker? If so, is that all the sound quality you could ever wish for?

I have 3 Echo Dots. These can connect to home stereos with a 3.5mm jack to 2 * RCA.
For better funtionality and sound, you can connect them to Sonos (Sonos receiver & your hifi, or just Sonos speakers).
Sonos are working with Amazon to make the systems integrate properly in 2017 (possibly early).

While I like the Echo, Google Home will have advantages for music. It understands people better. It can also use Chromecast (audio, or youtube).

So how many rooms do you want it in, and how good do you want it to sound?

That's a pretty good option, but let's step back a second. Did you get the tall Echo with the big speaker?
>>> yes the tall one. it is due to arrive today.

If so, is that all the sound quality you could ever wish for?
>>> At the moment yes, as I just want it in our 'main' room in the house, where music is constantly on.

It's rare for me to dip so enthusiastically into such purchases so I'm just going to see how this goes at the mo and take it from there.

Thanks for all the info though - food for thought!

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
In black, I note.

I'm tempted to get one for similar reasons - something new to have a play with. Sonos integration seems to be with a Play 5 only currently though, and we only have 1s and a 3.

Worried about losing the links to purchase stuff now. Can imagine [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] critiquing my shopping and going "ooh, wouldn't have bought that":smile:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Worried about losing the links to purchase stuff now. Can imagine [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] critiquing my shopping and going "ooh, wouldn't have bought that":smile:

I have no idea who bought what, but a single Echo Dot was in the Amazon affiliate report this morning (showing yesterday's purchases), and it stated it was black!

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I have no idea who bought what, but a single Echo Dot was in the Amazon affiliate report this morning (showing yesterday's purchases), and it stated it was black!

I bought mine late on Tuesday night via the NSC link - and it's black! And has apparently just been delivered and accepted by my daughter #rushhomenow

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
>>> yes the tall one. it is due to arrive today.
>>> At the moment yes, as I just want it in our 'main' room in the house, where music is constantly on.
Well it's pretty cool. I love being able to just ask it to play, or choosing a song. But if music is always on, I feel you owe it to yourself to have the option of something better (than the inbuilt speaker).

I'm playing the DOT right now through a hifi. I have my Arcam amp linked to some Dynaudio speakers and to:
1) £40 Echo Dot
2) PC with M-Audio Audiophile 2496 (not the worlds best source, but it's an excellent soundcard)

I'm playing Fleetwood Mac 'The Chain', and Dire Straights 'Sultans of swing' on both. Lossless file from the PC vs streamed wifi from Amazon.

If you're doing a real test between them, the sound from the PC is fair bit better, but if I wasn't switching between the two and thinking about it, I'd have no problem with the Echo. Did I mention it cost £40?

I'll connect these to hi-fis around the house and probably get a year's Amazon music unlimited. Then when the market has settled a bit, I'll compare again with google home, and consider getting Sonos pre-amp or equivalent for improved quality, reliabilty, and the added benefit of being able to control the music through a good app.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Well it's pretty cool. I love being able to just ask it to play, or choosing a song. But if music is always on, I feel you owe it to yourself to have the option of something better (than the inbuilt speaker).

I'm playing the DOT right now through a hifi. I have my Arcam amp linked to some Dynaudio speakers and to:
1) £40 Echo Dot
2) PC with M-Audio Audiophile 2496 (not the worlds best source, but it's an excellent soundcard)

I'm playing Fleetwood Mac 'The Chain', and Dire Straights 'Sultans of swing' on both. Lossless file from the PC vs streamed wifi from Amazon.

If you're doing a real test between them, the sound from the PC is fair bit better, but if I wasn't switching between the two and thinking about it, I'd have no problem with the Echo. Did I mention it cost £40?

I'll connect these to hi-fis around the house and probably get a year's Amazon music unlimited. Then when the market has settled a bit, I'll compare again with google home, and consider getting Sonos pre-amp or equivalent for improved quality, reliabilty, and the added benefit of being able to control the music through a good app.

Nice one - all useful info!

£40 you say!?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
What do you want it to do?

I'm looking at getting the Nest and the Nest Smoke Alarm stuff so made sense to me to wait for the Google thing as the others are also Google. Apart from that I want to get some app controlled light-bulbs and of course the music side of it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm looking at getting the Nest and the Nest Smoke Alarm stuff
That works with Alexa doesn't it?

Apart from that I want to get some app controlled light-bulbs and of course the music side of it.
I've got Alexa controlling my LIFX light bulbs. Maybe (read: is) a bit overkill.

Alexa has more 'skills' at the moment (ie, it works with more things) as it's been around a couple of years. I also like the fact that you can get the cheap Dot, while google only has the bigger version with the larger speaker. But google may have a competing small device at some point, it works with the decent Chromecast, and google is better and looking things up (and that's probably not going to change any time soon).

I think Google will be better for most people in the long run.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Once you've had some time with it is there any chance of a little review appearing in this thread please?

I'm toying with the idea of getting one but just need a little prod to justify it to myself...if you report a positive experience that might just do it...

Had a proper play with it this morning. Pretty easy to setup. You need a smartphone/tablet with the app installed. Once connected to the wifi you then have to tell it what skills (apps) you want to use. Like apple products it doesn't come with any instructions other than the initial setup. Unlike apple products this wasn't obvious (well not to me anyway) but a bit of playing about with the app and it all becomes obvious. There seems to be a lot of user submitted "skills" similar to the app store. Bizarrely there seems to be a lot of Grimsby Town apps so I'm guessing there is a Grimsby fan app dev out there. I've not had chance to go through all of the apps so if anyone has any recommendations then please let me know.

I've set mine up to be use Sky News as it's news app and it just plays a bulletin from the start of the hour which is ok but I think I'd find it more useful if it was just the headlines or at least a bit shorter (similar to a news bulletin on the radio). I might just have to have a better play. The sports news tells me I need to setup my teams but it only has prem teams at the moment so that is of no interest. The weather app worked out where I was so didn't need setting up.

What I did find nice is the traffic app, you can setup regular journeys and it tells you how heavy the traffic is. The national rail app is a little bit clunky as [MENTION=189]Wozza[/MENTION] says but it seems to work well.

All in all it's a nice little toy which I will use I think but it is a bit of a novelty and a nice to have rather than you must go out and buy one of these.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Had a proper play with it this morning. Pretty easy to setup. You need a smartphone/tablet with the app installed. Once connected to the wifi you then have to tell it what skills (apps) you want to use. Like apple products it doesn't come with any instructions other than the initial setup. Unlike apple products this wasn't obvious (well not to me anyway) but a bit of playing about with the app and it all becomes obvious. There seems to be a lot of user submitted "skills" similar to the app store. Bizarrely there seems to be a lot of Grimsby Town apps so I'm guessing there is a Grimsby fan app dev out there. I've not had chance to go through all of the apps so if anyone has any recommendations then please let me know.

I've set mine up to be use Sky News as it's news app and it just plays a bulletin from the start of the hour which is ok but I think I'd find it more useful if it was just the headlines or at least a bit shorter (similar to a news bulletin on the radio). I might just have to have a better play. The sports news tells me I need to setup my teams but it only has prem teams at the moment so that is of no interest. The weather app worked out where I was so didn't need setting up.

What I did find nice is the traffic app, you can setup regular journeys and it tells you how heavy the traffic is. The national rail app is a little bit clunky as [MENTION=189]Wozza[/MENTION] says but it seems to work well.

All in all it's a nice little toy which I will use I think but it is a bit of a novelty and a nice to have rather than you must go out and buy one of these.
That's really helpful to hear, thanks for sharing!

I assume you're not feeling like it was a bad purchase then?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I'm just pleased I've got someone to talk to now! [emoji14]

But yes for £40/50 it's a decent bit of kit.
That's all the prod I needed, I shall welcoming a second lady into my house soon...could be fun!

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patreon
Oct 17, 2008
I'll never use the gadgety aspect.

Is it worth £50 as a freestanding Bluetooth speaker that I can play Spotify playlists through?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I'll never use the gadgety aspect.

Is it worth £50 as a freestanding Bluetooth speaker that I can play Spotify playlists through?

If you would like the ability to control playing said play lists by voice then I'd say definitely.

But word of warning make sure you give your playlists sensible names that are English words. I have one called Toooooons or similar and I'm fecked if I can get it to play. Keep getting some band called Two Chains.

It's certainly not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. I asked how Ronnie O'Sullivan got on yesterday and she said she didn't understand the question so I asked who is Ronnie O'Sullivan and she started listing films that were playing near by!

If you say good morning to her she tells you a on this day fact which I thought was quite nice. The calendar integration is good as well.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here