Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Iraq would be better off with Saddam still in power

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I'm not ignoring anything. You were the one trying to boil things down to simple quantifiable figures.

My point is that you cannot simply take a hard stance that 'whatever happens in another country is none of our business, and they should left to get on with it, however distasteful'.

Decisions will always need to be made, on a case by case basis, but sometimes the actions of a regime are simpy too appalling to continue to ignore.

Rubbish, are you saying there were only two options: Go to War or Ignore?

There was another option but you obviously only see it limited to two.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
apparently if he had been allowed to marry Little Liss Muffet, he would have let the Curds have their Whey!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Rubbish, are you saying there were only two options: Go to War or Ignore?

There was another option but you obviously only see it limited to two.

What was option 3. Political and economic sanctions? A REALLY stern telling off?

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
An off-topic subject to take our minds off tomorrow.

No doubt in my mind looking at what has gone on in Iraq since Saddam was toppled and with sectarian violence at its highest level for years, that the country would have been far better off if the west had not interfered. Thousands of lives would have been saved, both Iraqis and foreign troops. Middle Eastern countries are clearly not ready for western style democracy and should be left alone to move forward at their own pace.

Same is true in Syria where the country was far better off when Assad was running the show. The civil war has achieved absolutely nothing and has ruined the country.

Egypt is another example. Much better and more stable country under Mubarak.

Message to western powers:
- keep your noses out of the domestic affairs of other countries
- you cannot and should not try to impose western style democracy everywhere in the world
- put massive pressure on the Israelis to reach an agreement on the Palestine question. If this problem was sorted it would have a positive effect on the region and the Israelis are currently the problem.

That's the world's problems sorted. Now off to fix my shed.

Quite agree , I would add Ukraine to that too . No UN , US , UK , Kiev or any other westernised body has ever visited the East of Ukraine to ask their opinion , only journalists telling and showing us all the troubles . I think you may be surprised just how many Ukrainians do not want western involvement .

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yes I think you have missed something, the West encouraged the uprisings and in the case of Libya and Syria we promised air support and weapons to the rebels.

rubbish. the Libyan's uprising were well underway before anyone (mostly from French and Italians) wanted to provided air support and there's been a pointed non-commitment to anything more than supplying small arms in Syria. Meanwhile the involvement of Iran and Saudi to back their favored, conflicting sides goes on quietly in the background. Egypt got on with theres all on their own.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
rubbish. the Libyan's uprising were well underway before anyone (mostly from French and Italians) wanted to provided air support and there's been a pointed non-commitment to anything more than supplying small arms in Syria. Meanwhile the involvement of Iran and Saudi to back their favored, conflicting sides goes on quietly in the background. Egypt got on with theres all on their own.

Egypt :facepalm:

The West goaded the uprising in Egypt and then the Muslim Brotherhood got into power only to lose it again.

The West misled the Syrian rebels teasing them with help and then giving none. What did you expect Asad to do with weapons aimed at him, probably the same as what the Americans would do if they were in his situation?

It’s like the school playground mentality trying to make two kids fight.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Saddam and Uday would be better off. That's for damn sure.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The West misled the Syrian rebels teasing them with help and then giving none.

only after it had well and truly kicked off, when it looked like they might not finish what they'd started. dont really buy into the idea that the West goaded anyone in Egypt, cheered on perhaps but the chaps on the street (with their funny head wear, some mad stuff) wheren't going by geopolitical wranglings. I dont recall any promises or even hints where made either way on Egypt.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
only after it had well and truly kicked off, when it looked like they might not finish what they'd started. dont really buy into the idea that the West goaded anyone in Egypt, cheered on perhaps but the chaps on the street (with their funny head wear, some mad stuff) wheren't going by geopolitical wranglings. I dont recall any promises or even hints where made either way on Egypt.

Grappling with unwelcome results of a revolution that he encouraged, President Obama told Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi in a phone call Tuesday that he has a responsibility to “protect the democratic principles” that Egyptians fought for............ read more here.......... http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/03/egypt-obama-us-mohamed-morsi-crisis

The west's support for a military dictatorship in Egypt that is busy handing out hundreds of death sentences to people who actually won an election is an absolute disgrace. That much is true.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The west's support for a military dictatorship in Egypt that is busy handing out hundreds of death sentences to people who actually won an election is an absolute disgrace. That much is true.

But that said, when they held the elections the choice was either the old regime or the rebels who were represented by the Muslim Brotherhood. Not great options but once the Muslim Brotherhood took over the people of Egypt suddenly had second thoughts and demanded that the military take it over.

It was basically a vote against the old regime rather than for the MB.

I’m not saying that sentencing 200 people to death for one person shooting a policeman is a good way to proceed but they haven’t been executed yet and it may have been a good scare tactic to bring the country into some sort of calm at that time. I haven’t heard of any problems since and I don’t think they will be executed, but I could be wrong on these last points.

As far as America and the West goes the problem is that they never know who they are really supporting.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
https://www.iraqbodycount.org/database/

All those that bang on about Blair and Bush causing a million deaths should check the above website. If you do, you will see that civilians killed by coalition forces is about 20,000. Even the total documented deaths is just under 140,000. That is less than Saddam is reported to have killed in the Anfal Campaign (182,000).

Also, suggesting that Saddam only had a few years left seems to ignore the fact that his, seemingly pyschopathic, son/sons would replace him.

As for the Iran/Iraq war, of course the Americans were going to side with Iraq. The alternative of an Iranian victory would have seen the Ayatollah Khomeini expand his fundamentalism and remember the Iranians hadn't been too friendly with Americans during the Carter years. It's no different to us siding with Russia to defeat Germany. In war you support the least worst option! (bit like voting in parliament).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here