Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The most important debut album in history

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Going back on the Beatles /metal argument . There is no direct link between The Beatles and metal , unless you include tenuous songs like Helter Skelter and
I Want You(She's so Heavy) . However some of the greatest exponents of the metal and heavy rock scene have all cited The Beatles as their main influences .I have seen interviews with Ozzy , Lemmy , Steven Tyler , all saying this.
I for one love the Beatles and Metal. But it wasn't the Beatles that got me into metal. They were the first stone in a series of stepping stones that got me there . For me it started with The Beatles , then T Rex , Sweet , Slade , Alice Cooper , followed by punk(From The Pistols to Discharge ) and then metal.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
im desperately trying to think of house/electronic albums for this list, but everyone i think of is a compilation of the artist's previously released singles and EPs. interesting reflection on the different approach to music making.

Everybody needs a 303 would be my shout for this genre.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Going back on the Beatles /metal argument . There is no direct link between The Beatles and metal , unless you include tenuous songs like Helter Skelter and
I Want You(She's so Heavy) . However some of the greatest exponents of the metal and heavy rock scene have all cited The Beatles as their main influences .I have seen interviews with Ozzy , Lemmy , Steven Tyler , all saying this.
I for one love the Beatles and Metal. But it wasn't the Beatles that got me into metal. They were the first stone in a series of stepping stones that got me there . For me it started with The Beatles , then T Rex , Sweet , Slade , Alice Cooper , followed by punk(From The Pistols to Discharge ) and then metal.

I don't think you can underestimate the Beatles influence. They are cited by so many musicians as influences and clearly represent excellence in so many areas of music. You can dislike them, you can deny their innovation and creativity but you simply cannot deny their influence over the music that followed them.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
For me:

Historically:

Dexys Midnight Runners-Searching for the young soul rebels

Recent times:

Scissor Sisters: Scissor Sisters

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
I don't think you can underestimate the Beatles influence. They are cited by so many musicians as influences and clearly represent excellence in so many areas of music. You can dislike them, you can deny their innovation and creativity but you simply cannot deny their influence over the music that followed them.

The Woodstock era was far more influential music wise (Jethro Tull, Hendrix, R Gallagher, Santana, Free). The Beatles were very much a pop band who were extremely good at writing good songs in quick concession. I'd say bands like Pink Floyd and The Jimi Hendrix experience/Band of gypsies have been just as or even more influential in the progression of music.
I think The Beatles are heavily over-rated. Just like that band their own children put together, Oasis is it?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The Woodstock era was far more influential music wise (Jethro Tull, Hendrix, R Gallagher, Santana, Free). The Beatles were very much a pop band who were extremely good at writing good songs in quick concession. I'd say bands like Pink Floyd and The Jimi Hendrix experience/Band of gypsies have been just as or even more influential in the progression of music.
I think The Beatles are heavily over-rated. Just like that band their own children put together, Oasis is it?

The sheer amount and variety of musicians that cite The Beatles as influences is testament to their reach. I wouldn't say that they are miles ahead of those you have mentioned in terms of influence but in terms of the wide range of genres influenced I would suggest they are the number one. If you need an engaging hook you can't go past Lennon and McCartney.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here