Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tips for moving abroad

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Not 100% certain Spanish companies will be employing UK people as free movement may be affected by the exit vote.:(

So Gib may be what you will have to do.

Good luck though!

Working from home in my sector of the market is what makes me think it is good to go. I'd still be UK funded.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Make sure you have a job first, learn Spanish, take a decent wedge with you when you first go to set yourself up, don't burn your UK bridges.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Take a good stack of things you love. My Brother lives in the USA and is forever naging me to send him PG Tips and Hobnobs. If you are a tea drinker, you can't get decent tea in Spain generally unless you go to Costa Del Brit etc..

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Take a good stack of things you love. My Brother lives in the USA and is forever naging me to send him PG Tips and Hobnobs. If you are a tea drinker, you can't get decent tea in Spain generally unless you go to Costa Del Brit etc..

Yeah I get the tea thing. Spent a lot of time where I am going, and the tea sucks!

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
I bought a villa over in Spain last year. Will be moving within 2 yrs too. I voted REMAIN

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I would think that most are available in Gibralter as a friend of my sister in law lives near Estapona and shops in Gibralter at Morrisons at least once a week buying cigs and wine there on every visit as it is much cheaper than Spain but restricted to 200 cigs and 1 litre of spirit as per the old duty free quota.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not 100% certain Spanish companies will be employing UK people as free movement may be affected by the exit vote.:(

So Gib may be what you will have to do.

Good luck though!
Getting in and out of Gib by land can be a pain at the best of times. Post exit it'll be horrendous going to and from from Spain I'd think.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I would think that most are available in Gibralter as a friend of my sister in law lives near Estapona and shops in Gibralter at Morrisons at least once a week buying cigs and wine there on every visit as it is much cheaper than Spain but restricted to 200 cigs and 1 litre of spirit as per the old duty free quota.

Very easy to get through with more than 200 cigs although I don't smoke any more.

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
Moved here 12 years ago about the same age, love it. Miss friends and family but when we do see them have real quality time. Advice is difficult as so much depends on circumstances. Looking back to when we moved over we would have been better off renting our house in UK and then renting here instead of buying. Where are you moving to? As others have suggested you have to learn the language and speak to your neighbours they really appreciate you trying and are incredibly freindly. Good luck

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
If you want the real Spain, very traditional, very laid back, totally different from the Costas with very few Brits, let me know. But probably won't be any good unless you can work from home.

Moved here 12 years ago about the same age, love it. Miss friends and family but when we do see them have real quality time. Advice is difficult as so much depends on circumstances. Looking back to when we moved over we would have been better off renting our house in UK and then renting here instead of buying. Where are you moving to? As others have suggested you have to learn the language and speak to your neighbours they really appreciate you trying and are incredibly freindly. Good luck

Just out of interest guys.How is your Spanish? Did you pick it up or go to classes?

Cheers

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If you can, try and keep a base in the UK, you'd be shocked how many people leave the UK and can't afford to come back. If you are young, no problem, but if you are middle aged the chances are that you will want to come back one day!

I have lived in Spain and France and I'd say the majority of Brits end up coming back, make sure you can afford to is my tip.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
I would rent out your home in England first and your probably get a rent of £1200 plus depending on size (if you own your own house) and rent for the first year in Spain, just in case you want to return home. Rent is cheaper in Spain and the extra cash will help.

Just out of interest guys.How is your Spanish? Did you pick it up or go to classes?

Cheers

I cheated. I employed a local lady and she dealt with all the property sellers and Town Halls.

But Spanish is a relatively easy language to learn. Unlike English there are mainly hard and fast rules with only a few exceptions.

But lots of different variations of Spanish depending on where you live. Learn Spanish in Andalucia and it's like learning English in the gorbals, nobody can understand you in the big cities. In Extremadura very few people speak English so you have to learn, but live there and it comes easy, plus many Town Halls offer free lessons.

I have an English lady who works for me and she speaks 9 languages, including one that is only spoken in three villages close to Portugal. She must be the only English person who can speak that language!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Interesting reading this thread as I move to Madrid at the end of August. Need to learn Spanish too :(, I have found learning language is so much more difficult as an adult though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here