Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Niki Mäenpää signs a 2 year deal

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Do have to wonder why we gave Casper another year. 2 senior keepers really should be enough in all but the most extreme circumstances and if he isn't good enough to "challenge" DS is he good enough to play in an emergency?
Strange/poor use of limited financial resources for me.
Happy enough with Maenpaa as back-up and delighted to see Walton being so professionally groomed for future success. Whether it is a future playing for us or a future big money sale (or both) time will tell but the club can't be faulted for the way they are developing him.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It is very clear that Walton needs to go out on loan to gain experience. Most good clubs do that with their young keepers.
We need three keepers in case of injury or illness so we're keeping Ankergren, who is happy to be third choice, & getting in a new keeper. It's not hard to understand. There have been two occasions in the last four years where two keepers have been incapacitated at the same time.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
It happens in many cases where players for whatever reason do not train with the team all of the time and join up prior to matches, if experienced settled players.

Saturday match= Sunday Monday off at home Tuesday train locally Wednesday come down and train with the team on Thursday and or travel Friday.

When Allan Simmonson signed for Charlton he flew into a local airport near the game on Staurday morning played the game then flew back home to Denmark Saturday night. He came back for midweek games doing the same. So it is not so unusual.

That was 33 years ago, BG!

I'd like to think that things have moved on a bit now, and that our club would never contemplate such an unprofessional arrangement.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

When Allan Simmonson signed for Charlton he flew into a local airport near the game on Staurday morning played the game then flew back home to Denmark Saturday night. He came back for midweek games doing the same. So it is not so unusual.

That's the only instance you know of this?

So, it is unusual then?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Do have to wonder why we gave Casper another year. 2 senior keepers really should be enough in all but the most extreme circumstances and if he isn't good enough to "challenge" DS is he good enough to play in an emergency?
Happy enough with Maenpaa as back-up and delighted to see Walton being so professionally groomed for future success. Whether it is a future playing for us or a future big money sale (or both) time will tell but the club can't be faulted for the way they are developing him.

I think 3 keepers is really the best number, unless the club wants to bring in a dreaded loan in an emergency.

It happens sometimes that your 2 keepers are injured at the same time, and in any case if 1 is injured it's best to have a 2nd on the bench.

Also for training match purposes 3 keepers is preferable, just in case 1 is ill or injured.

Ankers is prepared to be 3rd pick, and a valuable squad member.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I am far from clear that we need a new goalkeeper. I hope we've not spent too much time chasing Mäenpää. I have been pleased with our signings so far this year but find this one uninspiring.

I doubt the fact we are signing him will hinder other transfers. If this is completed then it's 4 signings in 2 weeks, showing they can negotiate with more than one player / agent at a time!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well it's just as well our scouting team doesn't use an edited video to form a balanced view of his credentials then. Watching those things, good or bad are pointless

it's all we have at the moment and I am not suggesting he is shit or that we shouldn't have signed him just that I am underwhelmed. I don't expect the club or anyone on here to think that I know better than the recruitment team, I am just expressing a first impression.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I think 3 keepers is really the best number, unless the club wants to bring in a dreaded loan in an emergency.

It happens sometimes that your 2 keepers are injured at the same time, and in any case if 1 is injured it's best to have a 2nd on the bench.

Also for training match purposes 3 keepers is preferable, just in case 1 is ill or injured.

Ankers is prepared to be 3rd pick, and a valuable squad member.

Indeed, I would think most clubs at Championship level and above would have 3 keepers in their squad. You don't want two keepers and to have one suffer injury or illness on a match day meaning you don't have time to arrange replacement so you'll either end up with a kid on the bench or no cover at all.

Casper can be that third choice, think of him like having a fire extinguisher in your house, you hope you never need it but one day you might be very glad you had it.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
it's all we have at the moment and I am not suggesting he is shit or that we shouldn't have signed him just that I am underwhelmed. I don't expect the club or anyone on here to think that I know better than the recruitment team, I am just expressing a first impression.

How I feel. It appears according to the Argus that there are conditions, which I'd imagine relate to appearances.

Whilst I am supportive of what the club is trying to achieve re Walton and having 3 keepers, is that chap really going to challenge Stockdale?

I can't help but think I'd have preferred a similar situation to the one we had with Kuszczak where Brez and Casper backed up.

Come to think of it isn't Brez available? [emoji6]

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Indeed, I would think most clubs at Championship level and above would have 3 keepers in their squad. You don't want two keepers and to have one suffer injury or illness on a match day meaning you don't have time to arrange replacement so you'll either end up with a kid on the bench or no cover at all.

Casper can be that third choice, think of him like having a fire extinguisher in your house, you hope you never need it but one day you might be very glad you had it.

Its great we have Casper really as apparently he is good personality in the squad , has plenty of experience and most importantly is happy to just be 3rd choice which must be rare.

The analogy about him and a fire extingusher is concerning though , if they were similar then you'd probably put out most of the fire only for the thing to then blow up losing you a hand.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
The analogy about him and a fire extingusher is concerning though , if they were similar then you'd probably put out most of the fire only for the thing to then blow up losing you a hand.

I guess that happens all the time - what a stupid comment.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I think Casper is doing his coaching badges, so this situation helps both club and player, and he is a good keeper to have as back-up

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I hope he is here to be our no.1. If we just needed some that could challenge Stockdale, they should have asked me. I finish work by twelve on a Saturday.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It happens in many cases where players for whatever reason do not train with the team all of the time and join up prior to matches, if experienced settled players.

Saturday match= Sunday Monday off at home Tuesday train locally Wednesday come down and train with the team on Thursday and or travel Friday.

Hmmm Allan Simonsen played for Charlton back in the early eighties though. I think training methods have come on leaps and bounds since then, and Football League clubs look the these arrangements very differently now.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I hope he is here to be our no.1. If we just needed some that could challenge Stockdale, they should have asked me. I finish work by twelve on a Saturday.

If you are trying to say Stockdale is crap, you don't really know an awful lot about football!

NorthStandSeagull

Apr 20, 2013
Hove

Firstly he is to be used as cover for injury/suspensions. If Walton is loaned out and stockdale is injured then what do we do? At least Casper knows the club and the defenders in front of him to fill in for a few games.

Secondly he is going to be a 'training' keeper. Mostly used in shooting drills to aid midfielders and strikers, whilst stocko and Niki are going through some drills Casper will provide a target in the shooting/crossing drills

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Thought this was dead in the water when Niemi left. Club must rate him highly if he's been pursued for this long. Hopefully he can push Stockdale and in turn he can cut the errors out of his game knowing that if he doesn't perform, there's an international 'keeper there ready to take his spot in the team.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
If you are trying to say Stockdale is crap, you don't really know an awful lot about football!

If you think he played well last season, then you are a blue and white spectacled fool. You must be bha nutz!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here