Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you don't drink that much and go out with people who are borderline alcoholic....

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
No you're not. I feel exactly the same.
If I stick to one particular drink, usually ale, I seem to be able to drink quite a lot and be ok, but as soon I know I have had enough I stop or go home, I also drink slowly if we are out all night.
What I can't do is mix ale and wine and if I add spirit to the mix then I am in trouble.
I hate the feeling of being drunk and the hangover is just awful, not to mention the fact that if I go out with 6 others and stay out until stupid o clock, including 3am breakfast I can do over £100, a waste of money.
Trouble is my mates seem to think the purpose of going out is to get smashed, like so many people seem to these days.
So I stick to ale, drink slowly and I am ok.

Pretty much this.
Some young people came out with me on my usual Friday night. They were in taxis in a mess by 4am. I carried on till 8am, went and got food and went back to an after party.
Stick to beer and im fine.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
3 pints and a G&T and I'm done. Thats where I know I can stop, get a good nights kip and wake up without a hint of a hangover.

I almost never drink at home.

I go months without an alcholic drink of any note. But still enjoy it when i go out.

My ale Xmas Calendar gift from Dark star for example... I still have about 8 cans in the fridge !

Luckily my close friends have a pretty similar perspective so never an issue.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
curious to know what you drink instead of alcohol? One of my problems is I don't like soft drinks, not even tea, I do drink a lot of water though

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Given that the majority on NSC appear to be teetotal who exactly are those hundreds of people ahead of me in the queue at the Harvey's stand before the match?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I'm not teetotal, but I rarely drink anymore. I spent most of my weekends from 15/16 - 25ish getting smashed and I just got bored of it.

My main issue is with those that feel they need to force others to drink in order for themselves to have a good time - it really does show how insecure many within our society are to be quite honest, but I'll always say "no" and reinforce my point if they're persistent but I don't want to drink.

Nonetheless, on the odd occasion I'm more than happy to go out drinking and enjoy the night out. But the nights are usually defined by the company, not by the amount of alcohol I've had.

Also, when I do drink, I love a good red wine... and no one wants to be getting smashed on red wine as it's a killer the next day.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Interesting thread.

I love a pint, go for one or two after finishing in the office everyday, its a nice wind down and living on your own gets a bit dull at times so nice to go and have a chat that is not work realted. Does that make me an alcoholic though? Been a while since i gave the alcohol a miss but normally give up for a month once a year.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Interesting thread.

I love a pint, go for one or two after finishing in the office everyday, its a nice wind down and living on your own gets a bit dull at times so nice to go and have a chat that is not work realted. Does that make me an alcoholic though? Been a while since i gave the alcohol a miss but normally give up for a month once a year.

If you were an alcoholic you wouldn't be interested in having a chat or the company of others.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i am recently recovered from a 36 hour bender.......i will not be doing that again i can assure you .....the hangover was brutal.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Some intelligent stuff on this thread. I like it when NSC has discussions like this.

I spent most of last weekend hungover – groggy on Saturday after too much Friday night wine following a week of abstinence, then nauseous and headachey on Sunday after a very modest intake with friends the previous evening. Really spoiled what should have been an active and enjoyable couple of days. (I had recovered by 4pm Sunday, thank god.)

I just love wine, and the occasional quality beer, although being drunk has very little appeal. But I can give it up for days/weeks/months if need be, and that happens at least once a year when I realise I've been piling on the pounds.

I think some people may assume they're addicted when it may just be a case of drinking out of boredom, looking for a midweek thrill or a buffer between work and sleep. I find that if I'm in a phase of doing exercise it can replace the endorphins that I get from alcohol, and the idea of drinking goes out of my head. I imagine there are other alcohol substitutes that would be as effective for others.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I was on a stag do recently and informed everyone to not even bother buying me shots. Initially met with the various criticisms but I was so glad to make that decision.

Don't get me wrong, I will get absolutely HAMMERED on the ale and GIN but the shots just push me into the dark place and genuinely ruin my evening.

I've finally learnt to say no at 30 years old.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Given that the majority on NSC appear to be teetotal who exactly are those hundreds of people ahead of me in the queue at the Harvey's stand before the match?

I'm not sure what the average age is on NSC, it seems like a lot of us are done with the massive hangovers and getting on. Went on a 40 something stag weekend, took me a week to recover and that was after trying to avoid every drink.

Used to love getting hammered, these days the afters just aren't worth it.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I never really drank much until I came here, but as im tight fisted, I drink the cheapest thing on the drinks menu, and fortunately here, its good quality beer. Im guessing its the quality of the beer that keeps the hangovers at bay.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I very rarely drink and have not even been tipsy for about 7 years.

I hate the feeling of a hangover and the waste of a day recovering.

I still go out with friends, but leave when they start to get drunk as we are no longer on the same wavelength.

I still have a good time, just with out the hangover.

The only drawback is the lack of tolerance to alcohol. A couple of points now and I am ready for my bed.

A couple of "points", that's more than Palace then

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Just image if everyone agreed to go tea total fir a home game and donate usual beer money to charity.

Knowing the catering they'd still poor loads and we'd be buying flat Harvey's two weeks later!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I'm 32 and recently made the decision to go tee-total. Had my last drink on holiday last Saturday which I drank in the company of friends and strangers we'd met over the night. The Newcastle game was my first sober football game in a while.

I'd been toying with the idea for a while and have gone through many times in the last 14 years where I'd stop for a month or for six months but I'd always fall back into it. Last month I decided to tally up my spending on booze and booze-fuelled takeaways. It worked out to about £400 over the month. £400 on stuff that messed with my head and my body. That hit me pretty hard.

Financial reasons aside my now ex-girlfriend told me that I'm not very nice to be around once I've had too many though she did say that's not why she's leaving me which is either a good or a bad thing, I can't decide. I also suffer from terrible drinkers guilt; "why did I say / do that" etc etc.

Overall, at 32, I've decided that it just isn't worth it for me. The pro of "being drunk is sometimes fun" is emphatically outweighed by:

It's expensive
It turns me into (more of) a ****
Hangovers that last for days
Drinkers guilt

Arsenal this weekend will be my first proper test of willpower.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I'm 32 and recently made the decision to go tee-total. Had my last drink on holiday last Saturday which I drank in the company of friends and strangers we'd met over the night. The Newcastle game was my first sober football game in a while.

I'd been toying with the idea for a while and have gone through many times in the last 14 years where I'd stop for a month or for six months but I'd always fall back into it. Last month I decided to tally up my spending on booze and booze-fuelled takeaways. It worked out to about £400 over the month. £400 on stuff that messed with my head and my body. That hit me pretty hard.

Financial reasons aside my now ex-girlfriend told me that I'm not very nice to be around once I've had too many though she did say that's not why she's leaving me which is either a good or a bad thing, I can't decide. I also suffer from terrible drinkers guilt; "why did I say / do that" etc etc.

Overall, at 32, I've decided that it just isn't worth it for me. The pro of "being drunk is sometimes fun" is emphatically outweighed by:

It's expensive
It turns me into (more of) a ****
Hangovers that last for days
Drinkers guilt

Arsenal this weekend will be my first proper test of willpower.

Blimey! Nearly £100.00 a week Good luck, hopefully the cash you save will be an incentive as well as the health benefits :thumbsup:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Realistically how much is too much ?...21 units is the recommended weekly max intake for men....So ten and a half pints....I have approx 12 pints(24units) and two bottles of wine(16 units) a week with at least two days alchohol free.
So whilst I am nearly double recommended intake don`t feel I`m anywhere near alchoholic !! am I ???

Limit is 14 units now, lol. 40 units is fine but depends on the person, that is my opinion, people who end up in wards average 150 units a week for many many years

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Realistically how much is too much ?...21 units is the recommended weekly max intake for men....So ten and a half pints....I have approx 12 pints(24units) and two bottles of wine(16 units) a week with at least two days alchohol free.
So whilst I am nearly double recommended intake don`t feel I`m anywhere near alchoholic !! am I ???

12 pints is 30 units for weakest and wine is usually 10 units a bottle so 50 units a week not 40

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Quite, seems nsc is a bastion of virtue

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here