Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Nice one - but did you ask her to say 'cheese' or say 'brie'?

They were leaving their hotel in Brugges and it just so happened that as we left our hotel, we saw a lot of police activity, so enquired what it was for, and it was for them two. We waited a few minutes and they left, so took a few photos. I don't know the flemish for cheese!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Shoreham Butterflies

Chalkhill Blue butterfly's head.

36338172545_43bf65a5ae_h.jpg
Iit is tricky to get them all lined up in a row. PS: My lens does not go in that close or that high magnification, or only on my old a heavy camera it does. D7500 looks tempting.

Which blue is the best colour?

Last edited:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Attachments

• Chalkhill blue.JPG
    Chalkhill blue.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 105

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Thanks Joey. A friend of mine mentioned the film to me only this morning. He said it's worth watching, having not seen it myself. There's all my photos of Bruges here if you're interested.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128321708@N03/albums/72157684727935590

It's one of my favourite films.

There are some great shots in that collection Jack. I've just followed you on Flickr. I need to get back to taking more photos and Flickr always inspires me, I just need to find the way around the time vacuum that is young children.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Looks like a Chalkhill, this one. Same one.

For butterflies, I'm looking for quick and accurate auto-focus. Modern cameras are meant to be quicker than the older ones?

Standard has gone up so quickly than my shots of a few years ago look quite poor now. Especially with a bigger desktop screen.

https://www.parkcameras.com/p/30102...MIrojuurS71QIVDRQbCh0bMANgEAQYASABEgK00fD_BwE

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d7500.htm

I've only had my D7200 for about a year but am still tempted by the D7500. I may yet invest.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
It's one of my favourite films.

There are some great shots in that collection Jack. I've just followed you on Flickr. I need to get back to taking more photos and Flickr always inspires me, I just need to find the way around the time vacuum that is young children.

I'm now following you! Love your HDR photos. Are these done in-camera as j.pegs or do you edit them from RAW in Photoshop? If the later, how many photos of the same image do you take? I've dabbled with HDR. Now you've inspired me to have another dabble.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I'm now following you! Love your HDR photos. Are these done in-camera as j.pegs or do you edit them from RAW in Photoshop? If the later, how many photos of the same image do you take? I've dabbled with HDR. Now you've inspired me to have another dabble.

Many thanks. The HDR images are all from a single RAW file. I then adjusted the exposures in Apature to create under and over exposures and used Photoshop to merge the files into the HDR image and then played around with the filters etc built into photoshop to create the final image.

Most are made from 3 exposures, I did experiment with 5 exposures as well. I went down the route of working off of a single RAW file as it meant I could shoot handheld and not have to worry about bringing a tripod around with me while wandering the streets of Venice or at a car show where I was also trying to deal with a buggy and 3 kids.

I want to try again with a tripod and creating the under and over exposed images in camera but that takes far more planning and time, something you don't always get when you've got young children.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Having an unhealthy liking for photographing butterflies, I got rather excited when I chanced upon a Long-tailed Blue in a field in France, awash with other members of the Blue family. It was early evening and I was looking at hundreds of Blues roosting in a large field, inspecting their undersides for something unusual, other than the Common and Adonis Blues and Brown Argus. I couldn't believe my luck spotting this beauty.
Full size image here https://www.flickr.com/photos/128321708@N03/36215584954/in/photostream/lightbox/

Attachments

• Long-tailed Blue.JPG
    Long-tailed Blue.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 149

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Having an unhealthy liking for photographing butterflies, I got rather excited when I chanced upon a Long-tailed Blue in a field in France, awash with other members of the Blue family. It was early evening and I was looking at hundreds of Blues roosting in a large field, inspecting their undersides for something unusual, other than the Common and Adonis Blues and Brown Argus. I couldn't believe my luck spotting this beauty.
Full size image here https://www.flickr.com/photos/128321708@N03/36215584954/in/photostream/lightbox/

Nice! Your butterfly shots are awesome!

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Hi all - I am sorry if this has been covered somewhere in the pages so far...

Just wondering if any of you can recommend any online photography courses as being worth investing in? I want to get better and thought a set course would do much more for than just reading books, especially if there's a tutor involved. I don't mind if it starts from absolute basics (as I taught myself so am bound to have missed something obvious along the way), and ideally would help with everything right through to covering post-processing as well.

The problem is it looks like there are loads out there, and the only one I've actually contacted & looked into so far - the Photography Institute - appears that it might be a bit of a, er... well I don't want to risk getting NSC into trouble so let's just say I've been unimpressed with what I've found.

I might be completely wrong, but either way any feedback from those that have done a course would be great!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here