Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good to meet you too. Bad luck on the chain, but always great to hang out in Midhurst, right?!

Good work on the PB. I'm currently undoing all the good work in an Arundel beer garden. Desperate to upload the ride though!
All you're doing is a tricep workout, nothing wrong with that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Clearly not that desperate.

Yep, not sure I believe him, rekon he might be doing a few Whiteway loops with beer in hand ???

I should add it was a lovely route & great days riding, thanks Stat, and some pretty tough full on riding from all, as those who have previously been on a geek ride would no doubt know.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
So, what goes around comes around eh.

Astana get Landa and Aru caught up behind a crash, so what does Bertie do? Today is payback time :lol:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Interesting. A little short sighted on Contador's part in my opinion. He normally is very good at cultivating favours from other teams and riders. This is only going to make it more likely that other teams will attack him when he has a mechanical in the future. He was already 4 minutes ahead so the Giro was sewn up bar a crash, this extra minute has not changed that at all. With Tinkoff shooting his mouth off left, right and centre, Tinkoff Saxo could well be extremely unpopular at the Tour. What happened to saving himself for the Tour? Cannot see how he is going to win the Tour as well if he is going to repeatedly attack when he does not need to.

Superb attack from Gilbert though. Attacking the break the moment he caught up was a tactical masterstroke on his part. Enjoyed his 5km long lap of honour too.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
No spoilers.

Another epic stage at the Giro. The racing here this year has been nothing short of brilliant in terms of excitement! Plenty of break and GC action from far out again.

If you can, try to see a clip of Bert fixing a mechanical whilst riding uphill without getting off the bike :lol: He's almost taking the piss the way he's constantly putting everyone to the sword in this Giro and making it looking easy. Such a shame there wasn't a stronger field for him to fight it out with.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm really enjoying the Giro this year. However, not sure if it is just me but I do feel a little uncomfortable about the number of Astana riders that always seem to be at the front given everything that went on earlier in the season with regards to their license. Maybe I'm being unfair, but I just find it difficult not to be suspicious.

He's almost taking the piss the way he's constantly putting everyone to the sword in this Giro and making it looking easy. Such a shame there wasn't a stronger field for him to fight it out with.
Which reminds me of a follow up point is was going to make to Joe re the cleanliness of Astana.

As said I'm holding off raising my eye-brows over their Giro team performance, for the moment.

If I were to pick up on a 'something's not quite right' clue, I'd be looking at Contador riding yesterday's climb.

While the other 2 are unzipped and sucking in lungfuls of air, AC is zipped up like a Victorian gent posing for a photograph, and breathing through his nose.
We've all seen that before, over so many years

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
No spoilers.

Another epic stage at the Giro. The racing here this year has been nothing short of brilliant in terms of excitement! Plenty of break and GC action from far out again.

If you can, try to see a clip of Bert fixing a mechanical whilst riding uphill without getting off the bike [emoji38] He's almost taking the piss the way he's constantly putting everyone to the sword in this Giro and making it looking easy. Such a shame there wasn't a stronger field for him to fight it out with.
I half expect him to do the "cav" (going past someone uphill with one leg)!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Interesting. A little short sighted on Contador's part in my opinion. He normally is very good at cultivating favours from other teams and riders. This is only going to make it more likely that other teams will attack him when he has a mechanical in the future. He was already 4 minutes ahead so the Giro was sewn up bar a crash, this extra minute has not changed that at all. With Tinkoff shooting his mouth off left, right and centre, Tinkoff Saxo could well be extremely unpopular at the Tour. What happened to saving himself for the Tour? Cannot see how he is going to win the Tour as well if he is going to repeatedly attack when he does not need to.

Superb attack from Gilbert though. Attacking the break the moment he caught up was a tactical masterstroke on his part. Enjoyed his 5km long lap of honour too.

Have to disagree. As some else said, Bert is a rider in the mould of the Badger, he just can't seem to help himself but to attack if the chance is there it seems, even when he really doesn't need to.

Astana and Katusha have shown that they won't ever do favours for Tinkoff the other day, so why not just go and attack them back when the opportunity arises? 1.13 today is a nice bit of time to put into them, with this Giro you never know what's going to happen next so why not take time where you can (even though the race has long been over, all things equal).

Rogers was strong at last years Giro and was still strong at the Tour. Ok, a bit different for a Dom to a GC rider, but I can't imagine that Bert is leaving himself totally spent for the TdF or peaking too early here. I reckon he knows what he's doing.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
1. Yesterday's stage was fukken awesome. What a place to ride a bike!

2. Nearly snuffed a silly old sod out yesterday. Right at the last minute he swerved to turn right at a mini roundabout. :ffsparr:

3. Came across a woman on a wonderfully clean mountain bike, pedaling like mad but going nowhere. Massive rear gear and tiny single front ring. Silly :moo:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I know you lot are just a bunch of boring old roadies :D but can't believe what's happening in Stanmer at the moment. For the last month or so people have been setting traps on the trails, there's been glass dug into paths and exit ramps removed but they've sunk to new lows now - putting wire across trees! What is wrong with these people?

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/12980751.Wire_traps_set_up_for_cyclists/?action=success#comments
Sadly not a week goes by on www.road.cc without a report of someone being almost garrotted by fishing line etc.

I often console myself with the thought 'thank god for Sussex' (even lesser Sussex), as we seem removed from such incidents and 'proper' road rage, until now.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Found the Geeks on Strava now after my first group ride and noticed you guys don't have a logo.

I've knocked this up super quick in case it is wanted (Until someone with some actual design skills comes along).
I might even join then!

NorthStandGeeks_300515_2.jpg

Or this if you'd prefer just the one "aero" wheel!

NorthStandGeeks_300515_2_ALT.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fan-blooming-tastic.

Looks to me like a man desperate to design a jersey too!!

Can anyone put our new logo on, or are we reliant on the elusive [MENTION=2878]Woodchip[/MENTION]?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I know you lot are just a bunch of boring old roadies :D but can't believe what's happening in Stanmer at the moment. For the last month or so people have been setting traps on the trails, there's been glass dug into paths and exit ramps removed but they've sunk to new lows now - putting wire across trees! What is wrong with these people?

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/12980751.Wire_traps_set_up_for_cyclists/?action=success#comments

Bloody Hell, that is sick. I may be a boring roadie, but (say it quietly) I often get one of my mountain bikes out in the summer, and hit the trails - particularly Coldean Woods. This worries me somewhat. As you say, what is wrong with these people?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
This is interesting, PP now offering live stage betting.

I think I've only put on one bet this Giro, but just stuck a quid on Uran at 22/1. He came back strong yesterday and first time in ages he hasn't been dropped from the GC group after being really poor. Doing no work in the GC group and everyone's expecting Ryder to be the man, if not Landa or Kruijswijk.

Edit: All going off now! Bert going backwards. If you're not watching live then you're missing out.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Might as well retire from betting this season. :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here