Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

19 BILLION Dollars

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The reasons FB bought it are obvious:

- kids deserting FB in number - it's not as cool when Mum, Dad and Gran are on there

- FB having little stake in the growing private messaging area.

It's a defensive play, as was the take out of Instagram to ensure that no matter how people are communicating, they are doing it via a FB product.

This means FB continues to know more about you and is able to market to you more effectively.

$19bn though - that's one hell of a price!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
one has to consider the $15m non-cash component is magic money they conjured up. that's how they get away with it. though even $4b seem steep, even for 450m active users (funny, doubled from reports a few month), as there's no protection from interest disappearing to another platform next month.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
The reasons FB bought it are obvious:

- kids deserting FB in number - it's not as cool when Mum, Dad and Gran are on there

- FB having little stake in the growing private messaging area.

It's a defensive play, as was the take out of Instagram to ensure that no matter how people are communicating, they are doing it via a FB product.

This means FB continues to know more about you and is able to market to you more effectively.

$19bn though - that's one hell of a price!

Mobile and emerging markets.

The communication to shareholders consisted of three PowerPoint slides, which will surely set the teeth gnashing for anyone who has had to justify a replacement corporate laptop, or an expense anomaly of a couple of quid.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Please god , tell me im not the only person on the planet that does not know what a whats app is

No you're not - I had to look it up. As far as I can tell it's a replacement for texting - bizarre if you ask me.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
No you're not - I had to look it up. As far as I can tell it's a replacement for texting - bizarre if you ask me.

It is sending texts for free (69p after 1 year).

My mate emigrated to Australia and we can still communicate by text message for nothing, rather than the hefty phone bill we would have both ended up with if we sent messages via mobile.

Similar impact that Skype had on phone calls.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

My mate emigrated to Australia and we can still communicate by text message for nothing, rather than the hefty phone bill we would have both ended up with if we sent messages via mobile.

If you building a platform today, SMS would not be part of it. It made sense prior to the mobile web, but not anymore. Many countries actively discourage SMS via their pricing plans for this very reason, which is another reason, why messaging apps are so popular.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Please god , tell me im not the only person on the planet that does not know what a whats app is

It's a texting replacement app. I bought the app for 99p last year so I haven't had to pay a penny since. Nowadays it's a free app but with a subscription of only 99p per year (I think).
Not only can you send texts for free, but you can send photos for free too, rather than pay the hefty price for MMS, and unlike snapchat (where the photo is hidden after a few seconds), so you can certainly see why it appeals to teenagers.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

It's a texting replacement app. I bought the app for 99p last year so I haven't had to pay a penny since. Nowadays it's a free app but with a subscription of only 99p per year (I think).
Not only can you send texts for free, but you can send photos for free too, rather than pay the hefty price for MMS, and unlike snapchat (where the photo is hidden after a few seconds), so you can certainly see why it appeals to teenagers.

Which is all well and good if you wish to text someone abroad but most people have hundreds ( if not thousands ) of free texts included in their bundle. I'm not saying there's no place for the app just that I struggle to believe it's worth so much.

Last edited:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Ah i see thankyou . Kinda like Viber then which i have but dont know anybody else that has it so its pretty useless at the moment .

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Trouble is, most people are on bundled services that mean they can send unlimited texts already, and a fairly hefty amount of data. So, you're left thinking, so what? That's UK only.

I've deleted what's app today. I hate Facebook and all it stands for. I'm also enjoying the fact that Zuckerberg appears devoid of ideas and so he's doing what he has always done - buy other people's.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Ah i see thankyou . Kinda like Viber then which i have but dont know anybody else that has it so its pretty useless at the moment .

I have that and don't use it either. I can give you a call if you like.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Which is all well and good if you wish to text someone abroad but most people have hundreds ( if not thousands ) of free texts included in their bundle. I'm not saying there's not place for the app just that I struggle to believe it's worth so much.

Welcome to the global economy little Englander :) - They have 450 million users, 70% actively use the app every day, adding 1 million new users per month. The platform is massive, even so the numbers are still astounding. They are paying the equivalent of $33 per user to acquire, when the service is currently charged at $1 per user per year, with the first year free.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

Nope. I don't have a clue. But then I have neither a smart phone nor a tablet and am guessing a whats app relates to those sort of things?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Interesting rumours that google were prepared to pay $10 million for Whatsapp, but with no seat on the board. If there is any truth in the rumour, it suggests there is some value in this platform, even if it doesn't make money today. It also suggests that Facebook had to pay a hefty premium to seal the deal.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Isn't sending a message or a photo via WhatsApp the same as sending an iMessage via an iPhone though?

I hardly ever use my phone text allowance, as any messages I send to people who have the iMessage function set up (which seems to be most of them) goes through that way, not as a text.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here