Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray red (and appeal)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Forgot about the Leeds pen and red, fair enough, seems a bit daft though that you can commit a 'professiinal foul' and it's not a red
That's still a red if not in the box, but if in the box then the argument is you haven't stopped a goal scoring opportunity, because they get a penalty.
but can't deny a goalscoring opportunity with your hand.
I don't know the law on this one, I just know it can be different - the Leeds one for example didn't stop an opportunity to score, it actually stopped a goal.

Someone else will know the exact law.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Mark Halsey ex Ref says on twitter it was a poor decision by the ref and that BHA should appeal it as Stockdale was behind him so he didnt save a goal and the maximum should be a yellow and a penalty.
Nice. Hopefully he's not alone and we can appeal without risking the accusation that it's frivolous, and just appealing might make him available on Tuesday.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Mark Halsey ex Ref says on twitter it was a poor decision by the ref and that BHA should appeal it as Stockdale was behind him so he didnt save a goal and the maximum should be a yellow and a penalty. I thought red was correct byut he would know better than me. At least it helped us get 3 points.

Never mind Stockdale, muzza's face was also behind it, had he not raised his hands his face was getting it, no way was that going in.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What is the time limit to appeal it i.e. could he appeal and play Tuesday and them hear the appeal Wed or Thursday so he misses the cup game if it is thrown out.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Watched the replays. The hands did not stop a pen, they stopped a smack in the windpipe. We should appeal it, 'tremendously'

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It's one for a straight red unless it's dangerous or reckless. Never two unless they've already had a ban.

Before anyone argues, it was a red. It's quicker to duck than raise your hands and therefore he could have avoided being hit in the face if he wanted to duck.

One. Spot on from the ref to send him off. I suppose it worked out as that was struck well and going towards the top corner.

It was the right decision! Instinctive hands from Murray.

Ref got it wrong on their second red. Should have been a straight red not second yellow.

Ex Prem red Mark Halsey has said it shouldn't have been a red FWIW... I wonder if it's worth an appeal. I felt he was saving a broken nose instinctively myself..

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
I said at the time my first impression was that it was harsh and I stick by that. It is also easy to see in slow motion and say it's a red card but watch it in full speed and the ball is twatted at him from 10 feet. A split second instinctive reaction may be worth a pen but no way a red. Appeal all day long

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Mark Halsey ex Ref says on twitter it was a poor decision by the ref and that BHA should appeal it as Stockdale was behind him so he didnt save a goal and the maximum should be a yellow and a penalty. I thought red was correct byut he would know better than me. At least it helped us get 3 points.

Sorry BG but unless you're refering to something different he hasn't actually said what you say (the poor decision and we should appeal it line..) He said it wasn't a red for him as keeper behind shot. Unless of course you can show me where he's said this? I just don't get how you manage to relay information falsely and add little bits to it that you make up?!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well, I must be a bit mental then. I thought it was a RIDICULOUS decision to award a pen, and when he got the red I actually thought it was because he must've said something to the ref. The pen was harsh, the red was farcical.

Seriously, that ball was twatted directly at his FACE at 94mph, from 6 yards away. His hands were not outstretched, he wasn't "making himself big". He was instinctively preventing his nose from being spread across 2 two different postcodes. I thought it was more than harsh at the time, and having seen the replays its only reinforced my view.

That decision HAS to be overturned on appeal. But it won't be, because the stuffed shirt duffers at the FA back their men to the hilt regardless of the FOLLY of their decisions.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It's a penalty but to me, that's not a red.

His hands are in an "unnatural" position (I know he's protecting his face, but in football terms it's unnatural) so yes, it's handball and a penalty.

But a red? I'd like to know how that qualifies. He's not stopped a definite goal and it was clear it was an instinct rather than anything cynical. I thought the new rules where that if a pen is awarded then the player is only sent off if the ref feels their foul act was a cynical attempt to deliberately halt the goal illegally.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Well, I must be a bit mental then. I thought it was a RIDICULOUS decision to award a pen, and when he got the red I actually thought it was because he must've said something to the ref. The pen was harsh, the red was farcical.

Seriously, that ball was twatted directly at his FACE at 94mph, from 6 yards away. His hands were not outstretched, he wasn't "making himself big". He was instinctively preventing his nose from being spread across 2 two different postcodes. I thought it was more than harsh at the time, and having seen the replays its only reinforced my view.

That decision HAS to be overturned on appeal. But it won't be, because the stuffed shirt duffers at the FA back their men to the hilt regardless of the FOLLY of their decisions.

Considering Newcastle had two red cards overturned against Forest. I think we should definitely appeal.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
But the current (new) law means that's not a red if it's a penalty.
If a goal scoring opportunity has been denied by handball then it is red wherever it happens, it is only yellow if it was a genuine attempt to play the ball legally, if it is handball or something like holding a player back then it is still a red even in the box. There is an argument that this shouldn't be a foul at all - all hand ball has to be deliberate and it would be possible to say that this was an instinctive reaction but in a professional game, that is going to be given every time.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
There was a lovely little celebration from him when Stockdale saved it

Agreed. For those of you that haven't seen the video. Murray hangs around at the bottom of "tunnel" area next to the dugouts (which I didn't think he was allowed to do but hey ho). Stockers makes the save and Muzzer goes as ape shit as he did after his goal at a rum the other week. That tells me all you need to know about this side, they really are in it for each other and the togetherness is what is going to get us over the line this year.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Murray red

Ex Prem red Mark Halsey has said it shouldn't have been a red FWIW... I wonder if it's worth an appeal. I felt he was saving a broken nose instinctively myself..

He also said Stephens was correctly sent off, so shows he's a clueless prick.

Thought it was correct myself.

Edit.
Any transfer news #sheebointheknow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a little disappointed with our Glenda having seen the replay.

When the ball is going towards your head, you head it. I've faced loads of point black hard shots like that and always gone for the header. Never did me any harm. NURSE!!

Thankfully Stockdale and Knockaert saved us, so it doesn't matter too much this time.

jonsey

Aug 5, 2011
North Sussex
Genuine question: Can you get a 'straight' red once you've got a yellow? Would it then be a 3 match ban or just the one?

The fact that a player has received a caution has no bearing on any other punishment from the referee. EG already has a caution then punches an opponent, straight red for violent conduct

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sorry BG but unless you're refering to something different he hasn't actually said what you say (the poor decision and we should appeal it line..) He said it wasn't a red for him as keeper behind shot. Unless of course you can show me where he's said this? I just don't get how you manage to relay information falsely and add little bits to it that you make up?!

If that is the case I am sorry as I was only relaying what somebody said in the concourse after the game and as you say they may have added their bit to it about the club appealing as a follow on from him saying it wasnt a red card offense. I dont know as I dont use twitter I have enough trouble on here. Perhaps I should have covered myself and said apparently.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Just watched the highlights - assumed it was a clear red card. Well it wasn't. It was going at pace into his face, anyone would protect themselves, and without hands it would have hit his face and not gone in the goal! Not a red for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here