Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England vs India Fifth Test - The Oval

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
This must be the end for Jennings but which 2 openers do we try on the tour of Sri Kanka .that we havent tried and who have failed before.

He’ll be on the plane. We are very limited so have to hope the coaches can teach him how to use the lump of willow he holds

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Cook coming in to some form now...… don't leave chef !

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
This must be the end for Jennings but which 2 openers do we try on the tour of Sri Kanka .that we havent tried and who have failed before.
There aren't any left.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Pity Cook couldnt have got another 4 this evening to get his 50 rather than have it hang over his head till tomorrow.

I wonder, what is the highest ever winning 4th innings at The Oval?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
300 lead should suffice

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Pity Cook couldnt have got another 4 this evening to get his 50 rather than have it hang over his head till tomorrow.

I wonder, what is the highest ever winning 4th innings at The Oval?

You could just google it. Anyway......31 times 200+ has been set, of which 5 were successful with a highest of 263

8810e8eb39ef5fc58ab8e24cbcd9b70d.png

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You could just google it. Anyway......31 times 200+ has been set, of which 5 were successful with a highest of 263

8810e8eb39ef5fc58ab8e24cbcd9b70d.png

Google is cheating I thought perhaps somebody would have known the answer but as it happens it isnt a very big total so we are getting near to it and as has been said 300 should be enough.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Cook must be on for the most standing ovations in a single Test match. Hopefully a few more today; Start of play, 50, going to lunch, coming back after lunch, 100, going to tea, coming back after tea, birth of thirld child..............

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Cook must be on for the most standing ovations in a single Test match. Hopefully a few more today; Start of play, 50, going to lunch, coming back after lunch, 100, going to tea, coming back after tea, birth of thirld child..............

more likely; start of play, 5 minutes later having edged behind.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Google is cheating I thought perhaps somebody would have known the answer but as it happens it isnt a very big total so we are getting near to it and as has been said 300 should be enough.

Cheating ? You didn't say it was a quiz, you were just wondering what the highest winning score was :shrug:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What a great series it has been, really looking forward to today's play. While it's been frustrating, it has also highlighted that put a bit into the pitches and modern batsmen struggle but the test matches are far more exciting, only the very best are adjusting their technique and still getting runs. I actually suggested Buttler should be the man to be dropped 2 matches ago – shows how much I know! :hilton:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
What a great series it has been, really looking forward to today's play. While it's been frustrating, it has also highlighted that put a bit into the pitches and modern batsmen struggle but the test matches are far more exciting, only the very best are adjusting their technique and still getting runs. I actually suggested Buttler should be the man to be dropped 2 matches ago – shows how much I know! :hilton:

One of the best test series for quite a while in my view, England got lucky in one test with the rain but bye the bye quite evenly matched at times but when someone has needed to step up England seemed to have found that player whereas Kohli has been badly let down at times.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I agree that this has been the most exciting Test series in England for a while, perhaps even going back to 2005. Although I suspect it'll end up as 4-1, this conceals how tight the contests have been, the unpredictability of each session, and the way in which the series has illustrated the delightful and unsurpassable ebb and flow of Test cricket. I've really enjoyed watching India's bowling attack too, who haven't had as much luck as they've deserved.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I agree that this has been the most exciting Test series in England for a while, perhaps even going back to 2005. Although I suspect it'll end up as 4-1, this conceals how tight the contests have been, the unpredictability of each session, and the way in which the series has illustrated the delightful and unsurpassable ebb and flow of Test cricket. I've really enjoyed watching India's bowling attack too, who haven't had as much luck as they've deserved.

Interesting you should say that as my impression is that our batting has made their bowling actually look better than it really is. We've got out to some really poor shots to poor deliveries on too many occasions. Not saying they've bowled badly overall, but a better top order could have made them look a lot more ordinary.

On the flip side I think our pace attack in particular have bowled so well we've made their batting look more fragile than it actually is. They've got out to some absolutely jaffa deliveries at times.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Interesting you should say that as my impression is that our batting has made their bowling actually look better than it really is. We've got out to some really poor shots to poor deliveries on too many occasions. Not saying they've bowled badly overall, but a better top order could have made them look a lot more ordinary.

On the flip side I think our pace attack in particular have bowled so well we've made their batting look more fragile than it actually is. They've got out to some absolutely jaffa deliveries at times.

Tend to agree with this.....some of our batting has been weak, but our bowling has for the most part been superb. Regardless, it's been a great series to watch, and actually nice not to see overwhelming dominance of the bat as is so often the case these days. Lots of twists and turns and sessions/days swinging one way then the other. Proper cricket.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here