Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] ***Sussex CCC v Leicestershire CCC, LVCC Div2, Hove, 4-7 September 2018,10.30 KO's***

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Last game of the season Warwickshire travel to Kent - could be the winner goes up

Last game or two of the season could well be lost to the weather, a no result draw might be highly probable.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Incidentally, the Sussex flags at the ground were at half-mast today in tribute to Alan Oakman, who died today.

Sad news: he was playing in the first Sussex game I saw. I don't think he and Greig played in the same team but if they had, we'd probably have been the tallest team on the circuit.

As for Sussex bowlers, I remember Ian Thomson playing for England in the 60s. He was the last Sussex bowler to take all 10 wickets in an innings, he could swing the ball prodigiously. Ed Giddins also played for England - but after he left Sussex. On the other hand, Monty Panesar played a few England games after he joined us.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
So apart from Wells, Salisbury, prior, Jordan, kirtley, monty and Adams , the cupboard is empty

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
They don't rate Sussex Bowlers (at Test Level). From recent memory both James Kirtley and Chris Jordan had a few games and were then dropped.

Always a mystery to me why Jason Lewry never got a sniff considering some of the crap selected. I have never seen a better left arm fast medium in the flesh, think he & Kirts had well over 1100 County Wickets between them?

I always believed that they used Kirtley for net practice but were never going to use him in the game. Hence why he often came back during games to play for us. I agree Lewry's accuracy was always there in the first spell.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I think its more about the players not selected or picked but barley used. RMJ a big example of an over looked player because of where he played.

I take your point but I’m not sure rmj was ever an international player. Lewry was definitely unlucky. Matt prior showed it is possible.
What could be telling is how many (if any) Young Sussex players are in the ‘a’ / academy England squads. There’s a case for salt, finch, Haines, Robinson, garton, and Rawlins. It will be disappointing if salt and Robinson, at least, don’t tour. Funny how garton is fast-tracked - I appreciate he’s left arm but he can’t bowl on target.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Snowy was the last major player from Sussex selected, Salisbury got a few games and I think Hemmings got a few games while at Sussex too but, apart from Matt Prior, thin times.

Chris Adams played a couple of Tests in South Africa from memory?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
So apart from Wells, Salisbury, prior, Jordan, kirtley, monty and Adams , the cupboard is empty

There's John Snow for us oldies.

EDIT: Beaten to it. (As usual. Really should start reading the whole thread before jumping in)

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
There is no mystery to the lack of England test players born and bred in Sussex.

Cricket in Sussex just does not operate in remotely the same way as it does in counties like Yorkshire, Lancashire, Nottinghamshire, Warwickshire, Middlesex, Surrey, etc

The likes of Somerset and Durham are different but also have considerable advantage over Sussex in terms of catchment areas.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Monty Panesar was selected after a decent 2012 season. He played for England as a Sussex player vs Pakistan, India and Sri Lanka. A second spinner to Swann, but still picked ahead of Rashid and Tredwell.

Yardy played 42 limited overs games and Mills has been picked for the T20 side, but I assume we’re only interested in proper cricket?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I'm not sure we can say there's a lack of test players born and bred in Sussex - we had two playing in the Ashes tests last winter
As you know, I am a Sussex cricket fan, so think I know the answer, but that would be quite a tricky quiz question... :)

Which England legends are we talking about?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
James Vince is one
James Vince was at school in Wiltshire by the age of 10 so I'm not sure that even if he did make it as a fully fledged England test player anyone will claim a Sussex connection. His progression from a Minor County to a neighbouring First Class county rather supports my point about catchment areas.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Robinson might see some England Lions action this winter but let's be honest, the general standard of batting in Div 2 this year has been woeful. That this Sussex side with top order troubles of its own is likely to have the most batting bonus points in the division after this round says it all really.

He'll need wickets in Div 1 to press a serious England claim I imagine. And then he'll only be the bog standard English seamer that gets taken apart in the lifeless tracks on the sub-continent and in Australia.

That said he's been fantastic this season. He carried the attack earlier on, easily outbowling Ishant Sharma and even with Jordan and Archer back in the fray looks as likely as anyone else to take a wicket.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Loved Archer's bowling at the end. Absolutely beasted Klein with short stuff into the hand, the midriff (trainer came on, though outrageously the player didn't have to go off after being treated - he was allowed to stay on the pitch), over his head. After the fourth ball of the over which doubled him up, it was pretty clear he didn't fancy another delivery, which Archer yorked into off-stump. Marvellous scenes.

When he was hit amidships, the whole ground winced as one. That final ball was like shooting a badly injured dog.

When Ollie took the first 5, Jofra was having some decent banter with the crowd whilst fielding on the boundary: "I just sof'en 'em up man.." was the gist of it. If you love cricket, get down there for the Warwickshire game in a fortnight. This team is box office.

PG

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've been working out how many Sussex born players have played for England. In my lifetime, there have been eight Sussex-born test players (I think) - there are few more before I was born (although neither of the most celebrated players - Fry and Ranji - was born here).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here