Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
You can't accuse our Dom of not having a sense of humour:

The new Brexit secretary, who campaigned vociferously for leave in the 2016 referendum, also sought to play down recent alarming stories about the potential risks of no deal – including the idea that food supplies could be disrupted, or key ingredients no longer available. “You will still be able to enjoy a BLT after Brexit, and there are no plans to deploy the army to ensure food supplies.”

Older posters will remember a Supertramp album, Crisis What Crisis……...

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
There isn't one. He's trying to score points against you and failing miserably. There is nothing wrong with what you did on that Bowie thread.

To be honest, I've lost count with the number of times Big Gully has tried and failed feebly with this sort of point scoring, where he ends up quoting something entirely inconsequential as if it proves something it clearly doesn't.

It was him that made the statement that he was 'joking' about the pastafarian threat (did you think he was joking?) and then told the world that he would never ban posters just because he disagreed with them, well he did me and did on the Bowie thread, simple.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
You can't accuse our Dom of not having a sense of humour:

The new Brexit secretary, who campaigned vociferously for leave in the 2016 referendum, also sought to play down recent alarming stories about the potential risks of no deal – including the idea that food supplies could be disrupted, or key ingredients no longer available. “You will still be able to enjoy a BLT after Brexit, and there are no plans to deploy the army to ensure food supplies.”

Older posters will remember a Supertramp album, Crisis What Crisis……...

With apologies to Triggaar for being a bit pedantic,shouldn't that be 'Crisis?What Crisis?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It was him that ... told the world that he would never ban posters just because he disagreed with them, well he did ....on the Bowie thread, simple.

You're being very childish. I've linked to that thread - anyone who can be arsed (I'd imagine that's nobody, tbh) can read and see for themselves, that what you state is patently not the truth. This is done. You're derailing an already tedious thread, onto an even more boring subject.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You're being very childish. I've linked to that thread - anyone who can be arsed (I'd imagine that's nobody, tbh) can read and see for themselves, that what you state is patently not the truth. This is done. You're derailing an already tedious thread, onto an even more boring subject.

You started it .........................................

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You started it .........................................

Perfect response to accusations of childishness.
Seriously though, you did well yesterday with keeping it reasonable, and I don't mean that in a backhanded way, it was admirable, but you are letting yourself down here. Banning someone for trolling a tribute thread is something I would hope all mods would do.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It was him that made the statement that he was 'joking' about the pastafarian threat (did you think he was joking?) and then told the world that he would never ban posters just because he disagreed with them, well he did me and did on the Bowie thread, simple.
He doesn't even remember banning you and he didn't just ban anyone on the Bowie thread for offering a different opinion as we can see from the linked thread. Stop embarrassing yourself eh?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You're miles wide of the mark. I'm comfortably the least 'trigger-happy' of all the moderating team. I almost never ban people from the site, and very rarely ban from threads. Should probably use that useful tool more often, in truth.

As I've pointed out, the Bowie thing is a perfect example, of somebody adding nothing to a thread, and threatening to derail it, to the annoyance of a load of other posters. His opening post in the (tribute to a dead star) thread, was that he didn't think much of him 'as a singer or as a person', then when told by many people that this wasn't the time or place continued to post about how he didn't like him, how he didn't like his music, then that he 'only knew one of his songs'. He was trolling, and it was going nowhere, so after warnings, he was blocked from the one thread (and free to post on all others, about things he presumably DID like). It's a non-story. You're flogging a dead horse.

Read the thread if you really care, and are not just trying to score points. http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?332217-David-Bowie/page5&highlight=Bowie

You have given a more than adequate explanation, if they cannot accept it...oh well. Personally, I’ve been removed from threads before and had infractions. Some I agreed with, some I disagreed with. None I argued with . It’s hardly the end of the world and certainly not worth grizzling about. But there is an element on here that if they can’t contribute to debate will find anything to discredit you. I get it constantly from one or two on here when they get stumped in a debate. Again, not worth justifying or explaining, they’re determined to have their dig. Their time to waste.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I see that our Government are saying that with no deal, we would continue to accept new drugs and treatments that have been approved for use in the EU. Is this a loss of sovereignty for any leavers, letting the EU decide for us if a drug is safe or not?
Could a UK court award damages against pharmaceutical companies that trialled a drug and submitted false data to the EU regulators, or the EMA if they were at fault in any way, if UK patients were adversely affected?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Perfect response to accusations of childishness.
Seriously though, you did well yesterday with keeping it reasonable, and I don't mean that in a backhanded way, it was admirable, but you are letting yourself down here. Banning someone for trolling a tribute thread is something I would hope all mods would do.

That part was meant as a joke, I am sure you knew.

Look the crux of the issue is that today he threatened ban someone during an ongoing debate between him and another poster, it was an abuse of his position as a moderator and he has previous, he did the same with me when we were disagreeing on something although he quickly reinstated me, that isnt fair moderating and he shouldn't do it.

The Bowie thread is a side issue, the threaten of a ban today is the issue, using the term 'troll' doesn't immediately negate responsibilities of a fair decision, I wasn't trolling when he banned me, I don't believe pastafarian was trolling when he threatened him nor do I think the poster on the Bowie thread was a troll either.

Personally if you cared to look I prefer PevenseyGull (or whatever he is called) whom seemed to be one of the biggest fans of Bowie on that thread where he responded to a non abusive but negative view on Bowie with :

I feel very sorry for you. I can't imagine what it must be like to be someone who's not remotely touched by the chap's work. Enjoy whatever it is that you do like.

Easy really.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
540747396_344cde9fda_o.jpg

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
That part was meant as a joke, I am sure you knew.

Look the crux of the issue is that today he threatened ban someone during an ongoing debate between him and another poster, it was an abuse of his position as a moderator and he has previous, he did the same with me when we were disagreeing on something although he quickly reinstated me, that isnt fair moderating and he shouldn't do it.

The Bowie thread is a side issue, the threaten of a ban today is the issue, using the term 'troll' doesn't immediately negate responsibilities of a fair decision, I wasn't trolling when he banned me, I don't believe pastafarian was trolling when he threatened him nor do I think the poster on the Bowie thread was a troll either.

Personally if you cared to look I prefer PevenseyGull (or whatever he is called) whom seemed to be one of the biggest fans of Bowie on that thread where he responded to a non abusive but negative view on Bowie with :

I feel very sorry for you. I can't imagine what it must be like to be someone who's not remotely touched by the chap's work. Enjoy whatever it is that you do like.

Easy really.

An excellent response from someone without moderators rights, but imagine you had the mods ability to kick him off, would you warn him that his posts could get him binned?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
more speculation , the vote was to leave, if the EU can't come up with some compromise on a deal we walk away , wash our hands of them and carry on, they can put a brave face on it but they have lots to lose, it's not all one way traffic ,we're on our way
regards
DR

We're on the road to nowhere..

[tweet]1032598864455454720[/tweet]

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Look the crux of the issue is that today

Dominic Raab came out as a remainer. Why else would he be stoking up 'project fear' with these few highlights ?

The cost of card payments between the UK and EU will "likely increase" and won't be covered by a ban on surcharges

Britons living elsewhere in Europe could lose access to UK banking and pension services without EU action

Pharmacists have been told to stockpile an extra six weeks' worth of medicine to ensure a "seamless" supply

Low-value parcels from the EU would no longer be eligible for VAT relief

and my own favourite

Businesses trading with the EU should start planning for new customs checks and, and might have to pay for new software or logistical help

So it's off to the software suppliers in the morning then. 'I'd like some software installed in 7 months time (because of course software is ALWAYS on time and we definitely don't need any UAT), but I don't know what it's got to do. Probably something about customs - so what hardware and infrastructure would I need for that, how much will it cost and how many staff do I need to train up please ?'

At what point do you accept that the emperor has no clothes :facepalm:

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I seem to recall someone in this thread scoffing a few months ago when I pointed out No Deal Brexit would lead to a shortage of medicines and chemotherapy treatments.

Oh look.

[TWEET]1032643955530379264[/TWEET]

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
We're on the road to nowhere..

[tweet]1032598864455454720[/tweet]

I suggest that [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] takes a little of his own advice.

My advice is that he should enlist the advice of an expert rather than rely on you or NSC to help him.

If any Brexiteers on here want to tell us about WTO and 'no deal' maybe they should listen to this first. (Not looking at anyone in particular [MENTION=5101]BigGully[/MENTION], [MENTION=240]larus[/MENTION])

You may even find that some of the points he raises sound familiar :whistle:

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I suggest that [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] takes a little of his own advice.

If any Brexiteers on here want to tell us about WTO and 'no deal' maybe they should listen to this first. (Not looking at anyone in particular [MENTION=5101]BigGully[/MENTION], [MENTION=240]larus[/MENTION])

This is from the CBI

[tweet]1032630604444131328[/tweet]

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I see The Road Haulage Association are delighted at the new clarity provided in today's no-deal announcement, or not as the case may be.

A no-deal Brexit will turn the Garden of England into the UK’s biggest lorry park

23rd August 2018

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal then the repercussions for Europe’s supply chain will be a disaster, says the Road Haulage Association.

The RHA is disappointed that despite its pleas for Brexit clarity, none has been forthcoming, and today’s announcements present nothing new.

The RHA has met with government ministers on many occasions to discuss the needs of UK transport operators and has stressed that the only way to maintain economic links on both sides of the Channel is to continue with the process of free-flowing borders.

If that’s not going to be the case, then a no-deal Brexit will be little more than a nail in the coffin of the industry responsible for moving 98% of the UK economy.

The future for the people and businesses of Kent also looks grim, as within a short period of time the Garden of England becomes the UK’s biggest lorry park.

ENDS

https://www.rha.uk.net/news/press-r...n-of-england-into-the-uk’s-biggest-lorry-park

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here