Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Anyone ever had peroneal tendonitis?

I have self diagnosed myself with it after running a marathon last weekend. I'll probably see a physiological in the next few weeks if it's not disappeared but Id be interested to know if anyone has suffered with this (especially from running) and your experience of recovery time etc.

Self diagnosis is a gamble! I've read the symptoms and I can probably diagnose myself with having a touch of it as well! But I shouldn't be too concerned about it, the usual course of rest, ice and stretching is probably the way around it and then run when it feels strong enough to do so.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Anyone ever had peroneal tendonitis?

I have self diagnosed myself with it after running a marathon last weekend. I'll probably see a physiological in the next few weeks if it's not disappeared but Id be interested to know if anyone has suffered with this (especially from running) and your experience of recovery time etc.

Fairly recently had posterior tibial tendinitis....which you might have. As above, self-diagnosis is usually a big gamble. You need a correct diagnosis before you can get the right treatment regime. On the positive side, if it is either a bit of rest and some targeted stretching fixed it for me pretty quickly (don't exacerbate it by running on it until the pain has gone). This kind of stuff :

http://marathontrainingacademy.com/posterior-tibialis-pain

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Self diagnosis is a gamble! I've read the symptoms and I can probably diagnose myself with having a touch of it as well! But I shouldn't be too concerned about it, the usual course of rest, ice and stretching is probably the way around it and then run when it feels strong enough to do so.

Fairly recently had posterior tibial tendinitis....which you might have. As above, self-diagnosis is usually a big gamble. You need a correct diagnosis before you can get the right treatment regime. On the positive side, if it is either a bit of rest and some targeted stretching fixed it for me pretty quickly (don't exacerbate it by running on it until the pain has gone). This kind of stuff :

http://marathontrainingacademy.com/posterior-tibialis-pain

Thanks!

The injury (whatever it is) is only a week or so old and I usually try rest, ice and some (very) light stretching for a couple of weeks before going to the physio. I've had some terrible physio diagnoses in the past which have led me to be a little suspicious of seeking their help before waiting it out a bit.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
GSR on Sunday for me. Having had a tooth out on Monday and TBH feeling pretty rough all week I only decided to take part once I had done a gentle jog on Saturday morning. My original plan was to stick with the 80 minute pacer but I decided against that as I didnt want to risk my health by going for it big time when not feeling 100%. It was very ermmmm breezy and at half way was pretty much on my Bright10 pace from the week before. Was hopeful of a PB but the headwind for the last 2 miles as you turned onto the seafront stopped that. Finished in 83.38 so 4 seconds outside my PB, so delighted with that. I am doing the Bognor 10 on the 5th November so will go for the 80 minutes at that one. Had a great day post race, meeting up with some other running mates and visited a couple of decent pubs, all heaving with runners refueling! I love this event and the atmosphere. Signed up again for next year as first 1,000 places get a 25% discount. As the [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] said it was quite busy and narrowed at a couple of points. According to strava I was 4 seconds a mile quicker than Bright10 but ran further to complete the course!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
GSR on Sunday for me. Having had a tooth out on Monday and TBH feeling pretty rough all week I only decided to take part once I had done a gentle jog on Saturday morning. My original plan was to stick with the 80 minute pacer but I decided against that as I didnt want to risk my health by going for it big time when not feeling 100%. It was very ermmmm breezy and at half way was pretty much on my Bright10 pace from the week before. Was hopeful of a PB but the headwind for the last 2 miles as you turned onto the seafront stopped that. Finished in 83.38 so 4 seconds outside my PB, so delighted with that. I am doing the Bognor 10 on the 5th November so will go for the 80 minutes at that one. Had a great day post race, meeting up with some other running mates and visited a couple of decent pubs, all heaving with runners refueling! I love this event and the atmosphere. Signed up again for next year as first 1,000 places get a 25% discount. As the [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] said it was quite busy and narrowed at a couple of points. According to strava I was 4 seconds a mile quicker than Bright10 but ran further to complete the course!

I've never run the GSR so I might have a look tonight and see if I can grab a discounted place.

I'm going to make a call on Bognor after the Arena 80 10k this Sunday in Hove. I've been racing a lot lately and my body is starting to creak a little bit. Had some knee pain Sunday and groin isn't great. Felt better today, and I've just had a good stretch so hopeful, I'll be able to run well this weekend.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Last set of hills (on road) before Beachy this morning. Weather forecast says 16° and dry, with 16mph north-westerleys. Doesn't sound TOO bad.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Last set of hills (on road) before Beachy this morning. Weather forecast says 16° and dry, with 16mph north-westerleys. Doesn't sound TOO bad.

It'll be wrong. It always is, and 16mph 'normal' translates into 'being blown sideways' on Beachy Head :)

Few hills for me as well today when I can be arsed to get out

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It'll be wrong. It always is, and 16mph 'normal' translates into 'being blown sideways' on Beachy Head :)

Few hills for me as well today when I can be arsed to get out

Oh, I just KNOW it will change. We got lucky last year – it was near-perfect running weather.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm not upset to be missing out on Beachy Head this year to be honest. My focus for 2017 has been on the shorter distances, I might enter it again in 2019 because I do love the race but it just doesn't fit this year. I'm going to pile into the parkrun on saturday and then a 10k showdown with [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] on sunday. Depending on your schedule fella, I'd be happy to race both distances. Up to you!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I'm not upset to be missing out on Beachy Head this year to be honest. My focus for 2017 has been on the shorter distances, I might enter it again in 2019 because I do love the race but it just doesn't fit this year. I'm going to pile into the parkrun on saturday and then a 10k showdown with [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] on sunday. Depending on your schedule fella, I'd be happy to race both distances. Up to you!

It my wedding anniversary on the Friday so I’ll be out late and drinking. I’ll stick to the 10k which I’m looking forward to. The weather will hold the key to the time, if it’s good sub 39 is a possibility if it isn’t I’d expect to run 39:30 or just under.

I definitely think we will both help each other as good to have targets.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It my wedding anniversary on the Friday so I’ll be out late and drinking. I’ll stick to the 10k which I’m looking forward to. The weather will hold the key to the time, if it’s good sub 39 is a possibility if it isn’t I’d expect to run 39:30 or just under.

I definitely think we will both help each other as good to have targets.

10k race it is - all chips in the one basket! I felt good and strong my 6x1km sprints at lunch time, it'll be uploaded to Strava later. I honestly believe, depending on my recovery from the hill sprints session I've got planned for thursday and my recovery from the 2x10mins I'll be doing on saturday (including the parkrun) - I think I should be looking at 39:00 for the 10k. My record currently sits at 41:31, so it's asking a lot but I ran the final 6 miles of the Bright10 in 39:46 and that was with the Bevendean parkrun win the day before.

My target will be to beat [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] by 1 second. :thumbsup: I think it'll be quite a tussle and I'm looking forward to it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I’ll be doing Swansea Bay PR on the 4th for some pre-match pain, but I’m up for the 11th at any course if there are any takers.

11th November Worthing Parkrun then. I'll make it a date as it will be my last run until Xmas eve. I will try and get my SB and as we are currently running neck and neck you are just the man I need.

I think a lot are occupied with the velodrome marathon but I lay down my gauntlet. [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] and [MENTION=18282]Left Back[/MENTION] could spur me on as well.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
11th November Worthing Parkrun then. I'll make it a date as it will be my last run until Xmas eve. I will try and get my SB and as we are currently running neck and neck you are just the man I need.

I think a lot are occupied with the velodrome marathon but I lay down my gauntlet. [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] and [MENTION=18282]Left Back[/MENTION] could spur me on as well.

Why not make it Preston Park then we can drop in on the Velo boys afterwards?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'd be happy with Preston Park for the PB attempt, my mate Jerome has said he would be happy to pace it (he runs it in sub 17:30 as standard) which might be of interest to [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] as well and see if we can both get ourselves home in under 18 which would be an incredible achievement for us both.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I'd be happy with Preston Park for the PB attempt, my mate Jerome has said he would be happy to pace it (he runs it in sub 17:30 as standard) which might be of interest to [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] as well and see if we can both get ourselves home in under 18 which would be an incredible achievement for us both.

Preston Park is home territory for me now so this is one I can definitely make. Sub 18 feels too quick at this stage, I need to go sub 18:30 first before even contemplating such a time.

I'll definitely watch the Velodrome marathon that day once I've taken my son to football club, I'll probably get back at Preston Park around 11:00 to 11:30.

Foam roller tonight getting myself primed for Sunday, my one concern is the amount I'm likely to drink Friday night which isn't the ideal prep to face off against [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION]

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Preston Park is home territory for me now so this is one I can definitely make. Sub 18 feels too quick at this stage, I need to go sub 18:30 first before even contemplating such a time.

I'll definitely watch the Velodrome marathon that day once I've taken my son to football club, I'll probably get back at Preston Park around 11:00 to 11:30.

Foam roller tonight getting myself primed for Sunday, my one concern is the amount I'm likely to drink Friday night which isn't the ideal prep to face off against [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION]

See how you feel on the day but definitely an option!

I've got another session on the ramp by the Marina tomorrow lunch time, so that's not ideal either and I'm really feeling the leg weights session from monday. I'm not perfectly prepped for the race either, but I reckon I'll give you a damn good race. It'll be very close I think, a few seconds here and there.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
See how you feel on the day but definitely an option!

I've got another session on the ramp by the Marina tomorrow lunch time, so that's not ideal either and I'm really feeling the leg weights session from monday. I'm not perfectly prepped for the race either, but I reckon I'll give you a damn good race. It'll be very close I think, a few seconds here and there.

Agreed based on recent form I'd be surprised if there was anymore than 30 seconds between us. Wind is strong but nicely directed as it will mainly blow across rather than for and against although it's early days to rely on a forecast.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here