Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cider Brewing

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If you have a Kenwood Chef, then this attachment will do a job of juicing apples.

http://www.kenwoodworld.com/uk/prod...ttachments/at641-continuous-juicer-awat641b01

You are being daft, from someone who had made cider. The Kenwood mixer would break under the strain of so many apples. A dustbin not a demi-john as there is lots and lots of apple gunge for the compost. Can decant to a demi-john later. Do not use a fermentation lock, cotton wool at most.

It is not worth the effort. Type of real apples doesn't matter for taste. Not sure about the juices. Sugar makes it expensive.

Hugh'sDad

Nov 29, 2011
'Ove
I tried it years ago, but a firm warning from the RSPB was enough to stop me in my tracks......how was I to know that woodpeckers were protected

ezzoud

Jul 5, 2003
Good advice on this thread so far - I'll just throw in my own method which has worked well for the last 3 years.

1) Do this in autumn with ripe apples - if you don't have your own collect them from the roadside or buy in bulk at farmers markets - they don't need to be perfect specimens.

2) If you live near Middle Farm phone them up and make an appointment to have your apples pressed. Approx yield is 22lb apples = 1 gallon juice.

3) Whilst they are pressing your apples you can stock up on someone's else attempts in the National Cider and Perry Centre - recommend the "Wild Thing" made entirely from Portslade windfalls.

4) Assuming you have your juice in fermentation vat or similar, add sulphites (e,g Campden tablets) to kill any bacteria in the juice (this will also kill any wild yeasts and prevent a "natural" fermentation but that's another story)

5) Leave for 24 hours. Take the SG with a hydrometer. If less than about 1040 (this will depend on the variety/ripeness of apple used) consider adding sweet apple juice (which you cleverly bought in step 3!) to raise reading to about 1050 (this ultimately will give you a stronger end product).

6) Add yeast - I use a specific cider yeast (try www.ballihoo.co.uk )but wine yeast is also good

7) Move vat to somewhere fairly warm so fermentation can commence - might take a day or two.

8) Take SG readings regularly and once the value is close to 1000 then fermentation is complete - this can take 2 -3 weeks

9) Siphon off the fermented juice into demijohns and store somewhere cool and dark for the winter.

10) After Easter or at least once the weather has warmed up a bit transfer into bottles and add some sugar to the bottle to give a little sparkle - experiment with different dosages and use white or brown sugar or honey (messy to put in the bottles)

11) Leave at least another month before drinking.

Enjoy - it sounds like a lot of work but actually it's pretty straightforward - do make sure everything you use is clean and sterilised though (miltons fluid can do this job)!

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I knew NSC wouldn't let me down!

I've not got time to read through the bigger posts at the minute (trust work to get in the way) but thanks to all so far, [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] and [MENTION=142]ezzoud[/MENTION] in particular!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Good advice on this thread so far - I'll just throw in my own method which has worked well for the last 3 years.

1) Do this in autumn with ripe apples - if you don't have your own collect them from the roadside or buy in bulk at farmers markets - they don't need to be perfect specimens.

2) If you live near Middle Farm phone them up and make an appointment to have your apples pressed. Approx yield is 22lb apples = 1 gallon juice.

3) Whilst they are pressing your apples you can stock up on someone's else attempts in the National Cider and Perry Centre - recommend the "Wild Thing" made entirely from Portslade windfalls.

4) Assuming you have your juice in fermentation vat or similar, add sulphites (e,g Campden tablets) to kill any bacteria in the juice (this will also kill any wild yeasts and prevent a "natural" fermentation but that's another story)

5) Leave for 24 hours. Take the SG with a hydrometer. If less than about 1040 (this will depend on the variety/ripeness of apple used) consider adding sweet apple juice (which you cleverly bought in step 3!) to raise reading to about 1050 (this ultimately will give you a stronger end product).

6) Add yeast - I use a specific cider yeast (try www.ballihoo.co.uk )but wine yeast is also good

7) Move vat to somewhere fairly warm so fermentation can commence - might take a day or two.

8) Take SG readings regularly and once the value is close to 1000 then fermentation is complete - this can take 2 -3 weeks

9) Siphon off the fermented juice into demijohns and store somewhere cool and dark for the winter.

10) After Easter or at least once the weather has warmed up a bit transfer into bottles and add some sugar to the bottle to give a little sparkle - experiment with different dosages and use white or brown sugar or honey (messy to put in the bottles)

11) Leave at least another month before drinking.

Enjoy - it sounds like a lot of work but actually it's pretty straightforward - do make sure everything you use is clean and sterilised though (miltons fluid can do this job)!

Yep - good advice. If not doing 'turbo cider' that's how I'd do it.

With respect to priming with honey and the mess it can cause.... dilute your preferred 'dose' in some of the cider and pour into the bottle. You may need to warm the mixture to dissolve it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here