Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Nottingham Forest vs Brighton & Hove Albion **** Official Match Day Thread ****

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I really like the way some people talk about CMS like all he needs is a sniff and he's a deadly finisher. He's not, his finishing is average at best.

He's scored less than 1 in 4 for us. That really isn't very good.

This. 21 goals in 85 appearances is not good enough. People use the argument of no service being to blame but Ulloa managed 23 goals in 50 appearances.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I really like the way some people talk about CMS like all he needs is a sniff and he's a deadly finisher. He's not, his finishing is average at best.

He's scored less than 1 in 4 for us. That really isn't very good.

That's the average for most strikers. Cue [MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION].

Ok...

I don't know the average for strikers overall. I know when people were criticising Barnes for needing five chances to score one goal I produced this:

strikers2.jpg

1 in 8 would be 12.5% shots = goals. CMS this season is 19 shots, 1 goal in the league. (26 for 3 if you include the cup matches against lower league opposition).

I don't think he is as awful as some of the criticism makes him out to be, but he is not as productive as we need him to be. That is partly his fault, his first touch has been poor, the ball is bouncing off him too far away and he is being easily dispossessed, this will cause his team mates reluctance to use him when he is one of the passing options. It is also down to the poor decision making of team mates in the final third. Hopefully it will click as everyone gets used to each other and the system and better decisions will be made.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
That's the problem.

This is his fourth season, for 3 of those he's either been used incorrectly or injured.
The fact that 'lone striker' CMS has scored any goals amazes me.

It would seem we now have a manager who wants more than one player, in the opposition half, at the same time, but it's all come too late for Macca.
I firmly believe the 'assist' pass isn't good enough, but it will get better.
CMS/Baldock/Colunga will begin to get proper chances a la first minute v Blackpool, CMS and Baldock should have a field day.

Would I give CMS a final contract, sadly not.
Another year definitely, but why would he sign that.

I wish I could share your faith, unfortunately he's demonstrated far too many times that he lacks the technique and composure when under pressure. He's scored a few top class goals but it's the bread and butter that he can't do.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This. 21 goals in 85 appearances is not good enough. People use the argument of no service being to blame but Ulloa managed 23 goals in 50 appearances.
Would that be the £10m Ulloa who seems to have 'easily' settled into the Premier League?

Just out of interest what are their respective assist stats?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Very difficult to dislike CMS but he is frustrating. Would love him to start banging in the goals. One of his biggest problems though appears to be his own expectation... Often looks good after a lay-off but once he's gone a while without scoring, gets more frustrated and more erratic. He seems to berate himself constantly during games - just don't think it helps him at all.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I don't know that anyone at the club is familiar with it. We've been offside 19 times this season, we've caught our opponents offside twice. Last season it was 118/33, season before it was 97 to 20.

It doesn't help when you have Greer urging everyone to step up, to keep a high line, then the moment he's got Bruno, Dunk and Bennett in a line 5 yards outside our box, Greer drops back into the area and plays everyone onside. It's the one criticism I have of him this season. I found him quite flawed last season, with this tactic being one of the many reasons, this season I have been much more impressed, but he still does it.
Obsesed

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wish I could share your faith, unfortunately he's demonstrated far too many times that he lacks the technique and composure when under pressure. He's scored a few top class goals but it's the bread and butter that he can't do.
What you mean like slotting in an accurate assist pass from Calde?

I don't believe any striker would be prolific we the service we have been providing.
I do believe the service will get better.

If CMS fails then, that's on him.

Although for some on here failure will equate not scoring with every other shot.
But as WikiAcker shows that's just not possible.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Would that be the £10m Ulloa who seems to have 'easily' settled into the Premier League?

Just out of interest what are their respective assist stats?

Not really sure what the relevance of Ulloa's current situation is, we all know Ulloa is a superior player. I used him as an example because it demonstrates it is possible to be prolific in a recent Albion team. If CMS was half as dangerous as many believe he is he would have scored more goals than he has.

I've no idea about their assists, sorry.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
What you mean like slotting in an accurate assist pass from Calde?

Is this really the route to go down? The CMS misses will far outweigh the chances he's tucked away. Obviously he isn't going to score with every shot but I really believe he should have converted more than he has.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
With the greatest of respect, who cares? There'd need to be a lot of assists to make up the difference between 1 in 2 and 1 in 4.
On the basic level that's true, and impossible to argue with.

But what if half (I don't believe for one minute the figure is that high) of Ulloa's goals came from CMS' assists.
We can all think of at least 1.

All the while Ulloa provided minimal assists.

and yes I am waiting for Leo to win that battle 2-1 as well!!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is this really the route to go down? The CMS misses will far outweigh the chances he's tucked away. Obviously he isn't going to score with every shot but I really believe he should have converted more than he has.
EVERY strikers misses outweigh their chances, even Ronaldo.

It's the quality of chance that I'm questioning.
If they were all like Colunga's last week, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

But they're not, they are half chances, under pressure.

I keep saying I believe this season the chances will get better, and then CMS is on his own.
In the meantime I'm not going to bury him, just yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here