Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Play to the whistle...

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Given the respective upward and downward movement of FC United and Man United they'll be playing each other in the next ten years!

Oh and despite the odd freezing of the ball in the slow mo just before it clearly went out, it was clearly out! But hilarious nonetheless.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Given the respective upward and downward movement of FC United and Man United they'll be playing each other in the next ten years!

Oh and despite the odd freezing of the ball in the slow mo just before it clearly went out, it was clearly out! But hilarious nonetheless.

The ref even gave the goal kick.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

We must be watching different videos. The ball never comes close to going out. Bounces on the line, and the defender kicks it more or less on the half-volley.

They are still right to be aggreived though, because (on 10 secs in the video) the referee CLEARLY signals a goal kick.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

At what point is the ball "clearly out"?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
At what point is the ball "clearly out"?

I don't believe the slow motion stops at the right place, and the camera angle means it is further back than it seems. His foot is a long way behind the line. The only way to prove it though would be a camera angle on the line.

Either way, the way the ref and the defender deals with it is very funny.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Attachments

• FC United.jpg
    FC United.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 454

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
surely if it didnt go out then its a indirect free kick, for a back pass

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Leaving the issue of whether the ball was out or not aside for a moment, can the defenders/keeper rely on the ref signalling the goal kick and turning away (which is beyond dispute), or is the ref entitled to say "I didn't blow the whistle, so the ball's in play; it's a goal". Clearly, the latter is what he did do; is that correct in the Laws of the game?

[MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION] perhaps? Or indeed, anyone who actually knows the official answer...

I'm guessing that the whistle is technically the only thing that stops play (as the thread title implies). If so, that's really harsh in these circumstances....

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

From that angle, it looks like it is out but it probably isnt, in the same way that everyone thought Watford's "goal" against us crossed the line when in fact the entire ball didnt.

Either way it is irrelevant, they should have kept on playing. Reminds me of the QPR vs Forest game earlier in the season where QPR thought a Forest player was offside after the lino flagged, but the whistle wasnt blown and Forest kept going and scored.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Leaving the issue of whether the ball was out or not aside for a moment, can the defenders/keeper rely on the ref signalling the goal kick and turning away (which is beyond dispute), or is the ref entitled to say "I didn't blow the whistle, so the ball's in play; it's a goal". Clearly, the latter is what he did do; is that correct in the Laws of the game?

[MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION] perhaps? Or indeed, anyone who actually knows the official answer...

I'm guessing that the whistle is technically the only thing that stops play (as the thread title implies). If so, that's really harsh in these circumstances....

The referee is not required to blow his whistle for a goal kick (or corners, throw ins or goals), so hand signal should be enough. I can't find any thing about what is expected with confusing/wrong signals from the referee and the proposed action. I suspect if he felt there was a genuine belief he had given a goal kick and that was the only reason a goal was scored he might be able to use his discretion to have a drop ball. But that is just a guess.

Are we sure he was signally for a goal kick and not pointing at the ball to indicate that it was still in play? His arm does seem to move where it's pointing rather than staying pointing at the 6 yard box, but his arm is not out that long, so I could be wrong. If I'm wrong about him pointing at the ball, it might have been a case of him initially thinking it was out, but since the keeper dived to it as if the keeper thought it was still in, he just assumed the keeper was right and let play continue.

To the debate about the ball being out, I think it's the same issue as with the Watford non-goal, where the angle of the camera makes it look further over the line than from the side. I don't think it crossed the line though.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The ref definitely does NOT have to blow his whistle when the ball goes out - his signal is enough. In fact, in his refereeing course, my lad was specifically taught to keep the whistling to a minimum - not to blow it when signalling corners, throws, goal kicks.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The referee is not required to blow his whistle for a goal kick, so hand signal should be enough.

Are we sure he was signally for a goal kick and not pointing at the ball to indicate that it was still in play? His arm does seem to move where it's pointing rather than staying pointing at the 6 yard box, but his arm is not out that long, so I could be wrong. If I'm wrong about him pointing at the ball, it might have been a case of him initially thinking it was out, but since the keeper dived to it as if the keeper thought it was still in, he just assumed the keeper was right and let play continue.

To the debate about it being out, I think it's the same issue as with the Watford non-goal, where the angle of the camera makes it look further over the line than from the side. I don't think it crossed the line though.

Thanks.

Interesting point you make. Initially, I was sure he was signalling for a goal kick, and turned away. However, on closer inspection, he doesn't so much turn away as turn to run parallel with the 18-yard line, so it's possible that he was pointing at the ball. However, if so, why didn't he blow for a free kick for a back pass when the keeper dived and touched it with his hands? Playing advantage, maybe? But - he doesn't signal "play-on". Actually, the fact that the keeper dived for it probably implies that the keeper thought it hadn't gone out.

Hmmmm...I think it we can all agree that it was, at best, p*ss poor refereeing!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't think it was considered a deliberate back pass, more an attempt to keep it in play to prevent a corner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here