Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Raheem Sterling has an AK 47 tattoo on his thigh. Should he play for England?

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
If ever there was a case of shooting oneself in the foot , just before the foot is needed the most by millions of blindly hopeful fans of said foot .

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
We need a full list and audit of every tattoo on every member of the England squad (with pictures).

Only then can we have a national referendum and popular vote to pick who should and who should not endure a couple of weeks of national humiliation in Russia during the qualifying stages, as England live up to their fearsome reputation of being crap in tournament football, and meekly succumb in the group stage.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
We need a full list and audit of every tattoo on every member of the England squad (with pictures).

Only then can we have a national referendum and popular vote to pick who should and who should not endure a couple of weeks of national humiliation in Russia during the qualifying stages, as England live up to their fearsome reputation of being crap in tournament football, and meekly succumb in the group stage.

Maybe the problem has been down to inappropriate tattoos. Luckily for us we have the Sun to expose this and improve our chances.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Oh no! We have already seen how divisive a referendum can be. If those opposing the tatoos win and we leave the WC in a fit of Rexit, then the Remainers will surely demand another referendum just to settle things?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
England are quite happy to select players who should be ruled out on lack of football ability, so why a tattoo should stop someone going to Russia is beyond me.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Be fair you're not exactly comparing like with like.

And......

You can’t say he’s a world beater in international terms until he proves it, which IMO, he’s a million miles away from doing.

There are plenty of ‘good’ club players who never ‘cut it’ at international level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Makes absolutely no difference. On the World stage, all our strikers are shit.

They're just not though, are they? This is lazy bollocks.

The likes of Kane and Sterling are now players making impacts in the Champions League - a higher standard than the World Cup. I truly believe it is a mental block thing, and a fear thing. Harry Kane has NEVER played for Spurs like he did against Iceland 2 years ago. That was nothing to do with standard of football.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I see all the professional England haters and miserabelists are out in force again.

Yep, we have a long, rich history of fvxcking things up at tournaments, and this one may well be no different. But I am moderately optimistic of making the QF's this time, and then we're only a decent performance and a bit of luck away from actually surpassing our low expectations.

In the unlikely event of that actually happening, and there being a bit of euphoria over it, I'm sure the miserabelists will be quick enough to jump on the England bandwagon. But I suspect they'd actually prefer us to stink the place out again, and crash and burn in the group stage, just so they can fold their arms, nod their heads sagely and go "told ya", as we once again wallow in all the bitterness and recriminations.

I'll be supporting England, hoping for the best but ready for the worst. Bit like with the Albion really.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

The likes of Kane and Sterling are now players making impacts in the Champions League - a higher standard than the World Cup. I truly believe it is a mental block thing, and a fear thing. Harry Kane has NEVER played for Spurs like he did against Iceland 2 years ago. That was nothing to do with standard of football.

Haven’t you just proved my point, at least with regards to Kane? I didn’t say that our strikers aren’t capable of turning in world-class performances, I specifically said they’re shit on the World stage. Kane v Iceland is a brilliant example.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Haven’t you just proved my point, at least with regards to Kane? I didn’t say that our strikers aren’t capable of turning in world-class performances, I specifically said they’re shit on the World stage. Kane v Iceland is a brilliant example.

Fair play. I guess I'm more railing at the "our players just aren't good enough" argument, cos it's nonsense. Really not good enough to beat Iceland? Don't believe it for a second. If they were equivalent English league teams - England would win 4 or 5-0.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And......

You can’t say he’s a world beater in international terms until he proves it, which IMO, he’s a million miles away from doing.

There are plenty of ‘good’ club players who never ‘cut it’ at international level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are also plenty of club players who can only dream of playing with the same quality of players at international level.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I see all the professional England haters and miserabelists are out in force again.

Yep, we have a long, rich history of fvxcking things up at tournaments, and this one may well be no different. But I am moderately optimistic of making the QF's this time, and then we're only a decent performance and a bit of luck away from actually surpassing our low expectations.

In the unlikely event of that actually happening, and there being a bit of euphoria over it, I'm sure the miserabelists will be quick enough to jump on the England bandwagon. But I suspect they'd actually prefer us to stink the place out again, and crash and burn in the group stage, just so they can fold their arms, nod their heads sagely and go "told ya", as we once again wallow in all the bitterness and recriminations.

I'll be supporting England, hoping for the best but ready for the worst. Bit like with the Albion really.

Fully aware of how ridiculous this sentence might look in a few weeks' time but....we could really do with finishing top in the group.

Finishing top means most likely avoiding Colombia, who I think could easily do us, and also then avoiding Germany, if we got that far. I would give us a 1-5% chance of beating Germany.

Finishing top means more likely facing Poland or Senegal, and then Brazil. Yes, we'd still almost certainly lose, but I'd give us a slightly higher chance against Brazil, as they can be mercurial at times.

We don't have hot weather as an excuse this time. Need to win the first two and hope Belgium slip up against one of them.

One of the most potentially exciting bits of narrative for me is that - should Egypt get through their group - they have pretty much a 50% chance of facing Spain. Would LOVE to see a few of Mo's teammates "take one for the team" and cut Ramos in half with a few tasty challenges.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Lots of people get tattoos for symbolic reasons and I can understand his, but it just looks a bit **** to be honest!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Do tattoos ever go in or out of fashion? My Dad would have been 98 now had he lived, and he had one. It was done in the 1940s.

Yes they most certainly do, just like everything else. My father-in-law had one on his arm from when he was in the war. He was so embarrassed by it that he always wore long sleeve shirts.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

It can't be a mental block thing.
It's not like everything they say and do is criticized by all forms of media as they simultaneously attempt to tell everyone that they are world beaters who are rubbish and have let the entire country down.

There must be another reason!!!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Fair play. I guess I'm more railing at the "our players just aren't good enough" argument, cos it's nonsense. Really not good enough to beat Iceland? Don't believe it for a second. If they were equivalent English league teams - England would win 4 or 5-0.

Yep, they would. What’s the reason? Perhaps, some combination of unreasonable expectations of success from the press and the public, together with many players not really caring that much (with some notable exceptions - eg Beckham would have always pulled on the shirt with pride and intent)?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here