Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Possible bad news for a B777 [Malaysian MH370]

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;6239831 said:
Haven't got one, until that info is verified, but if it's true it points more towards a high jacking, perhaps botched hijacking, than catastrophic failure of the plane in my opinion. It's hard to know what info being banded about is true as communications from all involved seem to be a bit haphazard.

It does seem to me though, that it is likely the authorities know a lot more than is being made public.
I'm finding this incident fascinating. It'll be solved in the end I guess.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Interesting to see how this pans out. Definitely think we're being kept in the dark about something though ???

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
If we were to assume that the plane continued on its flight path until it ran out of fuel then we would have to assume that the experts were able to narrow down the area that it would have crash landed. I presume that means that a search of that area could be undertaken fairly quickly.

As this hasn't happened can we then rule out the decompression hypothesis?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm having trouble understanding this thing about the transponders being switched off thus making it invisible, but military's have spent billions of £s developing and building stealth aircraft to achive they same thing.
It can't be that simples as just to throw a switch can it?

the transponder is a beacon to tell everyone who you are. radar is passive, a radio ping is sent out, bounces of something and the return echo is picked up. you can measure that something is there, but not what it is (nor its height with usful accuracy). radar is also realitvly shortish range, 200km? i believe and disappears over the horizon (so you can fly below radar untill you're a dozen or so miles away). as the transponder puts out a signal, it has greater range, identifies you and other gives info (height, bearing etc). your stealth fighter/bomber is trying to evade radar and obviously turns off any transponder it might use in friendly skies when on maneuvers.

the point here is that in the middle of a large sea or ocean you are out of range of land based radar and rely on radio communication and the blink of a transponder to tell anyone where you are. move close to land and radar will pick you up regardless, they just wont know who/what you are.

If we were to assume that the plane continued on its flight path until it ran out of fuel then we would have to assume that the experts were able to narrow down the area that it would have crash landed. I presume that means that a search of that area could be undertaken fairly quickly.

i think contining in the flight path is ruled out as a) it would have appeared on radar as it went over Vietnam/China b) they've said from very early on a change of direction was recorded. i dont think anything can be ruled out, but if there's sudden decompression who turned off the transponder? btw See post 204 for a link to a graphic of the range.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro

I wonder if there will be threads like this when USS Voyager goes missing in about 350 years?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I wonder if there will be threads like this when USS Voyager goes missing in about 350 years?

Somebody* will find a post by [MENTION=2194]Oxy McFloppie-Tish[/MENTION], some 350 years before, and confidently state that it is a massive conspiracy, some 4 centuries in the making.

(*That somebody will be the great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandchild of [MENTION=20045]hybrid_x[/MENTION])

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Breaking News on the BBC this morning:

The communications systems of missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 were deliberately disabled, Malaysia's Prime Minister Najib Razak has said.

The new evidence, based on satellite and radar tracking of the plane, is "consistent with the deliberate action of someone on the plane", he said.

The investigation is "now entering a new phase", he said, focusing on the crew and passengers on board.

The plane disappeared a week ago with 239 people on board.

The Kuala Lumpur-Beijing flight last made contact with air traffic control over the South China Sea to the east of Malaysia, about one hour after take off.

Mr Razak told a news conference that new satellite evidence shows "with a high degree of certainty" that the aircraft's communications systems were disabled and then it changed course, flying west back over Malaysia.

"These movements are consistent with the deliberate action of someone on the plane," he said.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think it's been quite widely reported that it had enough fuel for 4-5 hours more flying at normal cruising altitudes. If it flew lower, range would be decreased due to 'thicker' air.

Make that 7 hours...

Malaysian Prime Minister Says Missing Jet Was Deliberately Diverted

Prime Minister Najib Razak of Malaysia announced on Saturday afternoon that Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 left its planned route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing a week earlier as the result of deliberate action by someone aboard.

Mr. Najib also said that search efforts in the South China Sea had been ended, and that technical experts now believed the aircraft could have ended up anywhere in one of two zones — one as far north as Kazakhstan in Central Asia, the other crossing the southern Indian Ocean.

That conclusion was based on a final signal from the plane picked up on satellite at 8:11 a.m. on March 8, nearly seven hours after ground control lost contact with the jet, he said.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
How come pilots can disable the communications/tracking systems ? What benefit does this give them in normal day to day flying?

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
How come pilots can disable the communications/tracking systems ? What benefit does this give them in normal day to day flying?

Probably can't - but if a hijacker has done his homework he can cut the power lead to the right box, or order the captain to.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Another interesting take on why this is a cover up.

Patents.

http://www.redicecreations.com/article.php?id=29355

No it's not interesting, it's just another stupid nutter sitting in front of their keyboard in their underpants. :rolleyes:

As posted earlier, here is where the interesting stuff is (where people with some REAL background knowledge that hasn't been 'found on the internet' are posting).

The thread on PPRUNE (Professional Pilots Rumour Network) has hit over 3500 posts for those who havetime to read a mix of professional and anaorak views on the matter

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/535538-malaysian-airlines-mh370-contact-lost.html

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
My money is on a mass murder / suicide. One of the pilot's could have incapacitated the other or locked them out of the cockpit during a rest break and switched off the transponder. They then climbed to a high altitude, put on oxygen mask before depressurizing the cabin and knocking out / killing the passengers and crew. Then most likely ditched the plane somewhere remote in the Indian Ocean. Burn off most fuel en route and let it sink with all the evidence in a very, very deep ocean.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Somebody* will find a post by [MENTION=2194]Oxy McFloppie-Tish[/MENTION], some 350 years before, and confidently state that it is a massive conspiracy, some 4 centuries in the making.

(*That somebody will be the great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandchild of [MENTION=20045]hybrid_x[/MENTION])

:lolol: I'd consider deleting my post, but Google has already done its work, and deletion would only add to the conspiracy theory.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Plenty of speculation on PPrune. Some credible, some not. Some sense, some nonsense, plenty deleted.

From PPrune:

"This is a human event, meticulously planned.

It is not batteries, weather balloons, drones, structural failure, spilled drink in cockpit etc.

It is NOT suicide. Why wait, why not just stick it in the South China Sea?

It is NOT terrorism. They would have driven it into the Petronas Towers over a week ago.

So which humans? One or both the cockpit crew? Or passengers? Someone with a LOT of technical knowledge, that is certain.

What would be the motive? To steal the aircraft, the passengers or the cargo.
So the plane is not at the bottom of the sea. This has been meticulously planned and the perpetrators want to enjoy the fruits of their labor."

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
My money is on a mass murder / suicide. One of the pilot's could have incapacitated the other or locked them out of the cockpit during a rest break and switched off the transponder. They then climbed to a high altitude, put on oxygen mask before depressurizing the cabin and knocking out / killing the passengers and crew. Then most likely ditched the plane somewhere remote in the Indian Ocean. Burn off most fuel en route and let it sink with all the evidence in a very, very deep ocean.

So how are mobile phone still able to ring?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here