Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Wolves and Bournemouth

southdownswolf

Aug 4, 2003
eastbourne
Not at our best today (or last week against Saints), but still got the points. In past seasons we would have lost both games 1-0, but this team seem to be able to grind out results.
Our front three haven't really clicked yet this season. Jimenez has done well, but Costa and Jota just haven't quite been on the pace.
Wing backs Doherty and Jonny are playing well however and most of our decent play is coming from them.
Neves is different class. Just 21, but already showing that he has a footballing mind and is able to control a game. His long range passing/shooting.... it's obscene...
Moutinho is the old man of the team, showing experience and leadership to all the youngsters. A proven World class player and a calming influence.
Then there is the back3 & Patricio... 1 goal conceded in the last 6 games pretty much says it all. Look dodgy at times, but always seem to get out of trouble.

Subs wise we have Cavaleiro and Traore who are both capable of turning a game.

I'm 45 years old and never seen a Wolves team with this much potential. I might sound like an excited school kid, but who cares, we are good :)

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I will be very disappointed if we do not beat Wolves at The Amex. Wonder how they will overcome the FFP for last seasons spending?

That won't matter until when/if they get relegated back to FL jurisdiction. All the time they're in the PL the FL can't touch them can they?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I will be very disappointed if we do not beat Wolves at The Amex. Wonder how they will overcome the FFP for last seasons spending?

I'd be pleased if we got a point against Wolves at the Amex. They are a damn good side in my view and won't be anywhere near the relegation places this season. Thus it would be a point gained.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I thought Wolves would be safe when they hung on to Neves, then they got Moutinho. It's good to have another team that can test the top six.

Meanwhile, Bournemouth continue to progress under Howe and with Southgate signing an extended England deal that's great news for Bournemouth and I don't see Howe moving on anytime soon.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, it's very impressive. I think I knew Wolves would be good, they could have stayed up this season with last year's team let alone the summer recruitment. Their five year plan targets Champions League, and they are not mucking around.

But I did wonder if the Bournemouth bubble might burst this season (and also had doubts about Watford). Maybe Eddie Howe is, as you say, the real deal. Fair play.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Take a look at our actual spending, when it happened and how FFP works, then get back to me.
We are well within the FFP rules.

Not according to many of the pundits on TV and Radio you apparently well exceeded last season to buy promotion. aided by your supert agent bringing in players no Championship side could have hoped to sign.but good luck to you if you can beat the system

southdownswolf

Aug 4, 2003
eastbourne
Not according to many of the pundits on TV and Radio you apparently well exceeded last season to buy promotion. aided by your supert agent bringing in players no Championship side could have hoped to sign.but good luck to you if you can beat the system

Most of the pundits on TV don't have a clue how FFP works.
We were investigated last season because Villa and Leeds were moaning (jealousy). We were cleared and found to have done nothing wrong.
The signings that we have made have mostly been loans, followed by 5 year contracts. As the fee for a player is split over the length of their contract for FFP rules, then spending £15m on one player only actual has a value of £3m each year for FFP.
Had we not been promoted, then we may well have had to sell a player or two. However, most of the players would have been easy to move on and also would have been worth at least the amount we bought them for.
Now we are in the PL, commercially we have made huge improvements and also guaranteed revenue from TV etc which along with the extra allowances for FFP in the PL, means that we are sitting in a very nice position right now.
Incidentally, had we not bought Adama for £18m, Villa would have been in trouble with FFP and probably had to sell Grealish. The fee of £18m meant that Villa gained £4m in sell on fees.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
What is so funny is when the 'experts/pundits' reckon that Eddie Howe is worth a shot with a 'big' club Howe has more chance of winning the Nat/Lty than getting a 'top' job simply because he does not fit the EPL or MSM profile of 'big club management'. Rather him than The Waistcoat.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Wolves will be testing the top 8 this season no doubt.

The only problem i see for them is it's basically a house cards with this 'Super Agent' when he leaves.

Putting all your transfers in one blokes hand is a tight rope imo.

Not meaning to come across as a hater because I actually like Wolves and still remember when we beat them to send them down to league 1* straight after they were relegated from the Prem.

Strange old world. We're now both in the big time.

*Not sure if they were already down?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Are they the real deal? Very impressive first 8 games. Could either end up with European football?

I think we can discount both as our relegation rivals, even this early in the season?

I guess you pays your money.....

We’ve spent the last two seasons diligently seeking out what and who we hope will be bargain diamonds. Wolves and Bournemouth have owners who have put the money up front to buy players they perceive to be premier league standard from the off.

southdownswolf

Aug 4, 2003
eastbourne
Wolves will be testing the top 8 this season no doubt.

The only problem i see for them is it's basically a house cards with this 'Super Agent' when he leaves.

Putting all your transfers in one blokes hand is a tight rope imo.

Not meaning to come across as a hater because I actually like Wolves and still remember when we beat them to send them down to league 1* straight after they were relegated from the Prem.

Strange old world. We're now both in the big time.

*Not sure if they were already down?

You were the final nail of many in the coffin...

The Mendes connection was worrying to begin with, especially when you look at a few other clubs he has had a relationship with in Spain/Portugal.
However, we have the Fosun empire behind us, who are the second richest people in British football behind the Man City owners. He has worked extremely successfully with Chelsea in the past and it looks like for the next couple of years he will be working closely with us.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Like wolves and I see the owners want to be a top 4 club soon and with that backing I'm sure they will.
Doubt we'll beat wolves at home and a draw at best is likely!!

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Like wolves and I see the owners want to be a top 4 club soon and with that backing I'm sure they will.
Doubt we'll beat wolves at home and a draw at best is likely!!

Don’t understand why we shouldn’t beat them?
Are they better than arsenal and Man Utd?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here