Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]. Gratz on the 16,000th post.

& it was sensible - if you can call riding up Cobb Lane sensible.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION], organising my ride for Sunday as I'm going to my sister's near Buxted, thought I'd tackle Cob Lane. Is the climb north out of Ardingly toward West Hoathly, or the other way round?

Now I know where Buxted is you've got all lovely figure of eight ride:-

Maresfield - Nutley - Chelwood Gate - Sharpsthorne - Cobb Lane.

Ardingly - Horsted Keynes - Wych Cross - Coleman's Hatch - The Wall

Down hill back to your sisters.

It'll be rude not too.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
West Hoathley first.

The circular route from Lindfield is:-
Right turn off at Hammingden & Highbrook Lanes (which are lovely climbs).
Turn left and left again at West Hoathley, then back down Hook Lane.

Cobb Lane will just appear out of nowhere, so being ready with your gears is vital.

You pop out just a touch North of Ardlingly only a couple minutes from your initial right turn.

Yes, it is in a wooded area and so you don't see it coming. I have twice had to turn back a couple of hundred metres to change gear in preparation.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Now I know where Buxted is you've got all lovely figure of eight ride:-

Maresfield - Nutley - Chelwood Gate - Sharpsthorne - Cobb Lane.

Ardingly - Horsted Keynes - Wych Cross - Coleman's Hatch - The Wall

Down hill back to your sisters.

It'll be rude not too.

Yep, the plan might be to tackle Cobb Lane first, then Kidds Hill 'The Wall' on the run into High Hurstwood.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fantastic ride [MENTION=17085]armchairclubber[/MENTION].
Hopefully we have another monster weekend on the cards.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I bottled out of another climb this morning, again. While I accept that it is ages since I've ridden two days running and when this happens there is normally an absence of coffee and sometimes the first climb comes before I'm warmed up properly, it has gotten me thinking about bogey climbs.

My commute out has a climb I really think I should be better at, but I always huff and puff up it. Its profile is concave, so I guess that might explain it. This morning's egg-layer probably has an mingey approach that I can't ride 'properly'. Funny old game.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I bottled out of another climb this morning, again. While I accept that it is ages since I've ridden two days running and when this happens there is normally an absence of coffee and sometimes the first climb comes before I'm warmed up properly, it has gotten me thinking about bogey climbs.

My commute out has a climb I really think I should be better at, but I always huff and puff up it. Its profile is concave, so I guess that might explain it. This morning's egg-layer probably has an mingey approach that I can't ride 'properly'. Funny old game.

I've just about out ridden all my local bogey climbs, doing the classic playground move of picking on the biggest kid so nothing else seems as scary.
There's one just before Bignor Roman Palace (coming from the West) that I usually ride around.
I guess I should have another stab at it, but it's on a crappy road that's easily get roundable, so that's what I do.

I hope [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] found his way to Cobb Lane, I'll be interested in what he thinks as there's a difference of opinion as to where it is on the toughness scale.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh and the reason for looking up Geeks, why have that Cannondale monstrosity when you can have this:-

datum2.jpg

http://road.cc/content/news/160330-just-genesis-datum-30-arrives-review

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm riding on my day off THIS TUESDAY if anyone is interested.

If riding solo I'll be trying to find Barhatch Road Cranleigh.
But have bike, will travel as I can do that route anytime.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

A very bad accident in this one. Well multiple really.

Makes me wonder where he'd have ended up without the car being there.

Horrendous. Looks like he is trying to break, the rear wheel kicks up and he just keeps going.

What was the bloody motorbike doing sat in the middle of the road with the 2 others that hit the deck?!

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Horrendous. Looks like he is trying to break, the rear wheel kicks up and he just keeps going.

What was the bloody motorbike doing sat in the middle of the road with the 2 others that hit the deck?!

When he enters the frame he's already got his back wheel out of align with his front he's braking that hard. Looks like he just left it way to late to hit the brakes.

As for the motorbike. Looks like another tour motorbike not thinking. Where have we seen that before? Think 2015 will be the year for dumb motorbikes in the peleton.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
When I read about this last night I assumed the car was in the wrong, but - bloody hell....how fast did he want to take that corner!?!? Has he heard of brakes? Poor driver must've thought he would be well out of the way on the outside.
The rider looked as if he had absolutely no awareness for how sharp that corner was, and loads of the riders were taking it wrong - including the other 2 that crashed. Did any of them actually study the route map before the start?!
Glad he will be ok, but could've been so much worse than it was....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here