Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Might as well retire from betting this season. :(
I only watched km 30 through to 5.
Am I right in thinking Ass-tana were concentrating primarily on the stage, without even contemplating the, albeit unlikely, overall win?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
More wonderful stages. I'm still shaking my head at seeing that cockwomble taking a selfie-film of himself as riders went past him yesterday. What a nonce.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I only watched km 30 through to 5.
Am I right in thinking Ass-tana were concentrating primarily on the stage, without even contemplating the, albeit unlikely, overall win?

Well Landa was basically told to sit up and wait for Aru when he was up the road with Zachkarin between the two climbs and nearly 2 minutes ahead of Bert. Zachakrin wasn't interested/able in working with Landa having been caught by him, so you could argue it made sense to sit up and wait for the strong group of Aru, Uran, Ryder, Kruijswijk. Indeed, when the two groups formed they started to put more time back into Bert again as Aru and landa worked together, but they also lost plenty as Bert came back whilst both groups discussed who was doing what first.

How close Landa could have got to Pink had he not waited up for Aru is debatable, highly doubt he was ever likely to take pink, but it does leave poor Landa looking like the victim of all plans being set for golden boy Aru all the time. Landa possibly could have won that stage AND the KoM jersey today, and possibly overtake Aru on GC. Anyway, Landa's contract is up at the end of the season and he'd be a mug to want to stay with Astana if a new contract is offered. Katusha could be a good fit for him.

The more I see of Aru the less I like him. Something is not right, besides which he always seems to cost me money. I was convinced Uran was going to win that stage today having seen the way he sat on from the Finestre climb :(

Anyway, bloody excellent Giro this year! Fantastic racing on virtually every single stage!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well Landa was basically told to sit up and wait for Aru when he was up the road with Zachkarin between the two climbs and nearly 2 minutes ahead of Bert. Zachakrin wasn't interested/able in working with Landa having been caught by him, so you could argue it made sense to sit up and wait for the strong group of Aru, Uran, Ryder, Kruijswijk. Indeed, when the two groups formed they started to put more time back into Bert again as Aru and landa worked together, but they also lost plenty as Bert came back whilst both groups discussed who was doing what first.

How close Landa could have got to Pink had he not waited up for Aru is debatable, highly doubt he was ever likely to take pink, but it does leave poor Landa looking like the victim of all plans being set for golden boy Aru all the time. Landa possibly could have won that stage AND the KoM jersey today, and possibly overtake Aru on GC. Anyway, Landa's contract is up at the end of the season and he'd be a mug to want to stay with Astana if a new contract is offered. Katusha could be a good fit for him.

The more I see of Aru the less I like him. Something is not right, besides which he always seems to cost me money. I was convinced Uran was going to win that stage today having seen the way he sat on from the Finestre climb :(

Anyway, bloody excellent Giro this year! Fantastic racing on virtually every single stage!
But why split Landa and Aru in the first place.

Or had that already happened before Contador momentarily popped.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
But why split Landa and Aru in the first place.

Or had that already happened before Contador momentarily popped.

Yeah, Landa attacked from the GC group, and only Kruisjwijk and Ryder tried to counter until eventually Bert cracked. Landa caught Zachakarin before they topped Finestre, followed by Uran ,Ryder and Aru just getting back on as they started the descent. Kruijswijk joined them on the descent and Bert was left on his own over the top of that climb.

Perhaps had Zakarin been willing to work with Landa then things might have been different, but he just didn't have it him judging by the way he then blew up big time on the final climb. Suppose Astana thought Aru and Landa together would get more time out of Bert than Landa going solo :shrug:

kip

Aug 2, 2011
Bloody Hell, that is sick. I may be a boring roadie, but (say it quietly) I often get one of my mountain bikes out in the summer, and hit the trails - particularly Coldean Woods. This worries me somewhat. As you say, what is wrong with these people?
This was a few years ago but the guy was filming it, could have been worse if it was neck height:(

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
This was a few years ago but the guy was filming it, could have been worse if it was neck height:(

If the next person caught doing that gets prosecuted for attempted murder, that might be the end of it. Some people deserve a damn good kicking.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Whoops, I'm just 'window shopping' on Wiggle, only to find after my last order I'm now a Platinum Customer.
I don't know what that means, I don't want to know, but I'm assuming it can't be good.

Someone's been spending more money than he's actually got on cycling :whistle:

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Out on a ride this morning I got my first puncture. Luckily I was with some more experienced cyclists who were able to advise (I knew what to do and have changed tubes and tyres before, but always the comfort of my own garage). What I was most pleased with was how my CO2 inflator worked, it was quite simple to use and took a couple of seconds to fully inflate the tyre. For those that don't have one, I would thoroughly recommend one.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Tacks surely the only thing that can stop Modolo winning this stage.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
:lolol: Only tacks can stop Modolo winning eh? :blush:

What a finish! Very fitting end to what has been a fantastic Giro edition. How often does a break beat the sprinters on the final day of a GC?! I suppose just not enough sprinters left and so not enough teams to form trains to chase it down. Glad I had no money on it or else that would have been yet another betting fail to go with all the others this season.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
:lolol: Only tacks can stop Modolo winning eh? :blush:

What a finish! Very fitting end to what has been a fantastic Giro edition. How often does a break beat the sprinters on the final day of a GC?! I suppose just not enough sprinters left and so not enough teams to form trains to chase it down. Glad I had no money on it or else that would have been yet another betting fail to go with all the others this season.

It was a superb Giro. It had everything.

The Giro really is the World's greatest sporting event, as far as I am concerned. More beautiful than the TdF, more unpredictable, more brutal.

I hate it when it finishes.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
On a serious note, is there a historical reason as to why the last day of a grand tour that the leader is not challenged!

It's always a sprinters' stage, and never a challenging one - it becomes neutralised as all the teams can finish together in the peleton. It has become a procession, and anyone who thinks that they can change the GC standings, and gives it a go, is considered disrespectful - they have no chance.

In 1989 they changed things in the TdF, and had a final stage Time Trial. Laurent Fignon went into this stage 50 seconds ahead of Greg Lemond, but Lemond's time was 58 seconds quicker than Fignon. Lemond won the Tour, ahead of one of France's all time heroes, by 8 seconds. Fignon was emotionally destroyed.

It was unbelieveable, and I watched it with the interest of someone who didn't really know what he was witnessing. It left an indelible mark - I have been a cycling geek ever since.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hey [MENTION=17085]armchairclubber[/MENTION] what's going on with all the 'flagging' of your rides on Strava.
I dare not ask over there for fear of picking up the troll.

That segment you blasted through must have been perfect with the wind direction.
It would have been impossible not to light it up.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Hey [MENTION=17085]armchairclubber[/MENTION] what's going on with all the 'flagging' of your rides on Strava.
I dare not ask over there for fear of picking up the troll.

That segment you blasted through must have been perfect with the wind direction.
It would have been impossible not to light it up.

I don't want to answer for armchairclubber, but it's a real shame when just one sad case can really ruin the Strava experience for another cyclist.

Not sure how the Strava investigation process works, but if they require evidence from anyone riding with the victim of constant flagging then I for one would vouch for armchairclubber, having seen him in action enough times. I hope this pathetic state of affairs gets sorted soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here