Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

High Definition Television

SeagullSarge

Jul 8, 2012
Interesting to hear all your thoughts on 4K UHD. I am responsible for the distribution of a major sports property and the move from HD 1080/50i to 4K UHD is the topic of much debate. Commercially it costs a lot to do and ultimately you the consumers drive this investment through subscriptions, it's interesting to see that there is still much debate about moving from SD to HD let alone upgrading to 4K UHD, although the move to 4K has a marked difference from 3D (which was a gimmick), would anyone here be prepared to outlay more money to the likes of BT or Sky for the privalage of watching this content e.g football, F1, tennis etc?

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Interesting to hear all your thoughts on 4K UHD. I am responsible for the distribution of a major sports property and the move from HD 1080/50i to 4K UHD is the topic of much debate. Commercially it costs a lot to do and ultimately you the consumers drive this investment through subscriptions, it's interesting to see that there is still much debate about moving from SD to HD let alone upgrading to 4K UHD, although the move to 4K has a marked difference from 3D (which was a gimmick), would anyone here be prepared to outlay more money to the likes of BT or Sky for the privilege of watching this content e.g football, F1, tennis etc?

As I mentioned earlier, I certainly see a marked difference from SD to HD, although HD to 4K less so. 3D has come and gone, and I feel 4K sport will have limited appeal. With more people apparently disgruntled with package prices and turning to other viewing methods, they might feel watching in SD or slightly better a sacrifice worth making.
Watching the sweat dripping off of Rooney's syrup in 4K does not really get my juices flowing.

SeagullSarge

Jul 8, 2012
As I mentioned earlier, I certainly see a marked difference from SD to HD, although HD to 4K less so. 3D has come and gone, and I feel 4K sport will have limited appeal. With more people apparently disgruntled with package prices and turning to other viewing methods, they might feel watching in SD or slightly better a sacrifice worth making.
Watching the sweat dripping off of Rooney's syrup in 4K does not really get my juices flowing.

And that's a great point, whilst SD to HD is a significant increase in viewing pleasure, 4K really does need a whacking great screen in your living room to reap the benefits of the increased resolution just so you can see your favourite footballer coughing up phlegm in greater detail. I personally struggle to find motivation in paying more for a slight advantage, plus there are many hurdles to get over if you want a 80" screen in your lounge! High Dynamic Range on the other hand does look great but I'm not sure most people will care too much as it's a bit techie!

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
And that's a great point, whilst SD to HD is a significant increase in viewing pleasure, 4K really does need a whacking great screen in your living room to reap the benefits of the increased resolution just so you can see your favourite footballer coughing up phlegm in greater detail. I personally struggle to find motivation in paying more for a slight advantage, plus there are many hurdles to get over if you want a 80" screen in your lounge! High Dynamic Range on the other hand does look great but I'm not sure most people will care too much as it's a bit techie!

I am firmly in the 4K and HDR camp. When viewing side by side in a showroom the difference to HD compared to HD is large in terms of clarity and depth of picture, blacks in particular. Cannot go 80 inch but looking at 55.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
the benefits of the increased resolution just so you can see your favourite footballer coughing up phlegm in greater detail.

Remember thinking watching darts in HD wasn't the best option as it just showed the wobbles in the rolls of fat in great detail. :(

Paul23Pogba

Feb 19, 2019
Florida
If people can't tell the difference between SD and HD, then they either are watching a rather small TV or TV Trays they need their eyes tested!

The bigger the TV, the better the HD effect - if you watch any of the Sky Sports channels on anything bigger than a 40inch screen in SD and then flick to the HD channel there is an enormous difference!! And Ultra HD, particularly on an OLED screen is different gravy again.

The convenience of a Wood TV Tray never goes out of style.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here