Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train question, Ipswich

Quaid

Nov 6, 2011
Morning all

My gold rail card gets me as far as travel zone 6, does anyone know which station is best to buy a supplementary return from/to Ipswich?

Also, as I've never been able to get to Ipswich away before, is Ipswich the best station? This feels like a real stupid question but have to ask!

And lastly, with this card I think I can get a discount for those I am travelling with. Can anyone confirm the amount? Is it 30% off the full Brighton - Ipswich fare?

I have asked the rail ticket office at ppark and received surly shrugs, come back later etc. Also the ticket chap on the train didn't know.

I bet someone here knows [emoji41]

Cheers!

Aug 23, 2011
Morning all

My gold rail card gets me as far as travel zone 6, does anyone know which station is best to buy a supplementary return from/to Ipswich?

Also, as I've never been able to get to Ipswich away before, is Ipswich the best station? This feels like a real stupid question but have to ask!

And lastly, with this card I think I can get a discount for those I am travelling with. Can anyone confirm the amount? Is it 30% off the full Brighton - Ipswich fare?

I have asked the rail ticket office at ppark and received surly shrugs, come back later etc. Also the ticket chap on the train didn't know.

Cheers!

in the past i've gone to the ticket office and asked for a ticket from zone 6 boundary to wherever i was going (unless things have changed). Sorry can't answer the other questions.

Quaid

Nov 6, 2011
in the past i've gone to the ticket office and asked for a ticket from zone 6 boundary to wherever i was going (unless things have changed). Sorry can't answer the other questions.
No worries, thanks. I'll try again at a diff station and hopefully get a friendly and helpful ticket office person

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I have a travel zone 4 card and I have struggled to find any good information online on this subject. You cannot buy zone x - where ever tickets online either which is annoying.
As I have to pass through Victoria or East Croydon anyway, I usually just go to the ticket office and ask for Zone 4 boundary to Haywards Heath for home games.
With the gold card you get 30% discount for yourself and up to 3 more people travelling with you.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Morning all

Cheers!

I may be wrong but I really don't think it's worth the hassle worrying about the fact you have a 1-6 travelcard you'll probably only save yourself a quid or so and you'll limit the services you'll be able to get as from memory the first stop on that line is Shenfield which is way out in zone 9. You might get the odd service that stops at Stratford which is zone 3 or if you are lucky Romford zone 6.

Your gold card works the same as a network card so it's a 1/3 off. If you are buying the tickets for others then the only thing to be aware of is they have to be travelling with you for the ticket to be valid. How many frigs the guard gives about this depends on how much a jobsworth/lazyfecktard s/he is.

Quaid

Nov 6, 2011
Manningtree used to be the station you could use Network Cards to, so that may well be the same with the Gold Card.

That line to Ipswich was really cheap to book. We are going first class up there for £11 without discount cards and £9 back standard class.
Awesome, yes Manningtree was offered to me at London Bridge just now. Works out £18 return from there. Getting a zone 6 to Manningtree then from there to Ipswich.

Others travelling with me pay £42 return from Brighton

Thanks guys and thanks to a nice old lady at London Bridge ticket office.

Hopefully others might find this helpful too

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Awesome, yes Manningtree was offered to me at London Bridge just now. Works out £18 return from there. Getting a zone 6 to Manningtree then from there to Ipswich.

Others travelling with me pay £42 return from Brighton

Thanks guys and thanks to a nice old lady at London Bridge ticket office.

Hopefully others might find this helpful too

If you can do them all at £18 return from London, a travelcard from Brighton with either your Gold Card or a Network Card is only £12.

The away end at Portman Road is about a 5 minute stroll from the station. You really can't miss it.
images

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The away end at Portman Road is about a 5 minute stroll from the station. You really can't miss it. You also have to pass the designated 'away' pub.

And pass it is EXACTLY what you should do. It is a rancid, fetid, festering hovel that will make you feel ill just looking at it.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
And pass it is EXACTLY what you should do. It is a rancid, fetid, festering hovel that will make you feel ill just looking at it.

Especially as once in Ipswich there are several rather good drinking establishments.

One place in particular last time we went (Thomas Wolsley, I think), was advertising its Oktoberfest with an Oompah band.

When we got there, the music was being provided by a dwarf in Lederhosen on the decks.

Last edited:

theboybilly

Especially as once in Ipswich there are several rather good drinking establishments.

One place in particular last time we went (Thomas Wolsley, I think), was advertising its Oktoberfest with an Oompah band.

When we got there, the music was being provided by a dwarf in Lederhosen on the decks.

Well done mate, that looks ideal to me. I'll head in that direction. Curry house opposite so that's my day sorted now

ArnoldLayne

Jan 19, 2015

Avoid The Station Hotel and get down to either Isaacs (bar, big beer garden, SKY) or The Lord Nelson (old mans pub, fine grub, Adnams) which are both by the docks

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If anyone has a Network Card, a cheap day to return to Manningtree and a day return to Ipswich from there does saved a fair bit of cash.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here