Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Oh God - here's another fool who believes that everyone believed the '£350M to the NHS' baloney. Some remoaners still think people believed it, because it somehow enhances heir grievance about losing the referendum*; most leavers took it with a pinch of salt and voted leave because that's what they wanted. Is that too hard to understand? Well, for some of the defeated minority, I suppose it is.

*'Losing'. Defined here as coming second in a two horse race...............

Most maybe did see it as bull, but it was a close result and if it persuaded 600,000 people to vote leave, instead of remain, that would have swung it from a 50/50 split to the 52/48 result. It had an effect, Farages poster had an effect, and both were misleading.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Or perhaps it could be read as

Instead of sending £350m to the EU lets put that money to better use by doing things like funding our NHS.

The fact is I don’t personally believe that many people reading that thought we would use all the EU money for just the NHS. Also I believe most people realised that the leave campaign were not in a position to decide what the EU money should be spent on anyway as they had no authority.

It could be read as that but it doesn't say that.

Why would they make any spending pledges (suggestions, if you really wan) then if they didn't think people believed them? It doesn't make sense.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Ok , how about this

Instead of sending the EU £350m per week, let's fund our NHS.

Exactly the same message.

You seem to be having trouble understanding the meaning of "instead".

We're getting our £350m at last, problem is that's got to last all winter for NHS. Why did they pick £350m as a figure, are they literally asking to be ridiculed?

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Most maybe did see it as bull, but it was a close result and if it persuaded 600,000 people to vote leave, instead of remain, that would have swung it from a 50/50 split to the 52/48 result. It had an effect, Farages poster had an effect, and both were misleading.

All is fair in love and war and stay or leave, no?

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
It could be read as that but it doesn't say that.

Why would they make any spending pledges (suggestions, if you really wan) then if they didn't think people believed them? It doesn't make sense.
Well they were trying to win a campaign by showing people how we could better spend the money we were sending to the EU. It wasn’t a promise as such but more a reason why the leave campaign thought we should leave.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Well they were trying to win a campaign by showing people how we could better spend the money we were sending to the EU. It wasn’t a promise as such but more a reason why the leave campaign thought we should leave.

Really, it was pretty clear how that message was taken by the general public voting.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Really, it was pretty clear how that message was taken by the general public voting.

You seem to think the voting public would probably stick their head in a gas oven if it were presented on the side of a bus. Remainers give no credit to leavers ability to assess the whole picture, instead focusing on a little red bus. Weird.

Dorset Seagull

I cannot answer for them I can only answer for myself. As with most votes many people voting don’t actually even know what they are voting for half the time and use various different, false and accurate, assumptions to come to their decision.

Top level decisions like this need to be made by intelligent individuals that have taken the time to understand all the detail. They shouldn’t be given to the general public who in most cases have very few facts on the subject matter.

Unfortunately politicians seemed to have ducked their responsibility on this one.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
You seem to think the voting public would probably stick their head in a gas oven if it were presented on the side of a bus. Remainers give no credit to leavers ability to assess the whole picture, instead focusing on a little red bus. Weird.

I brought it up not because I thought everyone voted because of the bus but because it influenced enough to change the vote from Remain to Leave. It was a lie. Now compounded by them not even giving 10% of the money to the NHS. They really don't seem to give a sh

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I brought it up not because I thought everyone voted because of the bus but because it influenced enough to change the vote from Remain to Leave. It was a lie. Now compounded by them not even giving 10% of the money to the NHS. They really don't seem to give a sh

You didn't bring it up and I did not address my reply to you. The 'little red bus' has been argued about since remain lost. You are just perpetuating the 'argument line' which has been persued for what seems an eternity, as I said, weird!

Dorset Seagull

But the current government and the leave campaign are 2 different entities so you can hardly make out they are the same

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
You didn't bring it up and I did not address my reply to you. The 'little red bus' has been argued about since remain lost. You are just perpetuating the 'argument line' which has been persued for what seems an eternity, as I said, weird!

Not weird at all. It's a current issue because of today's budget.

You just haven't got a defence for it.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Unfortunately the democratic will of the Great British Public would have been something completely different if the bus had told the truth. £350m a week and we'll give £30m a week to the NHS hasn't got quite the same ring to it.

Nevermind let's plough on regardless based on lies.

The figure wasn't particularly relevant the underlying point was .. spending the billions we send to the EU on our own priorities. Just one of the many factual arguments that won the day. Whereas the project fear whoppers that duped many remain voters have already been proved false. Record employment, continuing growth not as scary as the forecast immediate recession and half a million unemployed ..

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Staggering downgrade forecast from the OBR compared to March, a £49B black hole in public finances. And this on the assumption we get a deal, so looks like this is on the optimistic side as was the forecast in March. Nothing to do with Brexit of course...

Capture.JPG

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
The figure wasn't particularly relevant the underlying point was .. spending the billions we send to the EU on our own priorities. Just one of the many factual arguments that won the day. Whereas the project fear whoppers that duped many remain voters have already been proved false. Record employment, continuing growth not as scary as the forecast immediate recession and half a million unemployed ..

You'd make a good politician.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here