Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who is/was Albions fastest player

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
How about Albion players who flattered to deceive on the pace front by utilising furious pumping arms or legs. May I nominate CMS and going back a bit Junior McDougald.

Les Berry didn't give the impression of being fast and indeed was not. We said he looked like he was running with an ironing board down the back of his shirt.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It's Jose.
He's lightning over both short and long distances. As his goal against West Ham demonstrated, he can outpace a player over an extremely short distance. I suspect we'll see plenty more from him too, in terms of pace. That said, I'm still not entirely sold on him, particularly in terms of his footballing ability.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You know what: I bet NOBODY was going to say Franco Massimo.

I happened to read about him bing a Sussex sprint championbs so he must have been up with the fastest but I think that he only played 1 or perhas 2 first team games. I assumed other oldies would have read the same article in the past.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
What's going on here. Everyone has forgotten the fastest... yes the fastest Albion player over the first cuppla yards and that was Number 1 Peter Ward, Number 2 Peter Ward.... and so on!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Who was our fastest player I think Tawse, or possibly Izquierdo but some may say Franco Massimo who although being a Sussex sprint champion wasnt a regular first teamer..

I know Frank - his boy is brilliant - and I think he told me his pb at English schools was 10.7.
My lad has run 10.8 and that is seriously rapid but I think Dave Armstrong made a GB relay squad so I think it would most likely be him.
To put things in perspective I’m pretty sure that Johnny May England’s rugby union winger - and they are normally very quick has a 10.7

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's Jose.
He's lightning over both short and long distances. As his goal against West Ham demonstrated, he can outpace a player over an extremely short distance. I suspect we'll see plenty more from him too, in terms of pace. That said, I'm still not entirely sold on him, particularly in terms of his footballing ability.

Think he was even quicker, over a longer distance, when he chased back to tackle in the first half. Started way behind Dunk and Antonio but caught them both and timed the tackle perfectly.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Dave Armstrong. Wasn't he a sprinter as well as a footballer?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Derek Neate circa 1950’s, played as an amateur, and qualified to represent GB at the Olympics in the 100 and 200, only to break his leg playing for the Albion prior to the event.

Otherwise I always thought Gerry Fell looked quick and most recently Izquierdo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
He wasnt that quick in comparison to many mentioned and the nickname came from the Saturday Morning pictures character I would think.

It is, of course all relative to the time scale. During Denis's time we are talking of big heavy boots, even heavier balls & often quagmire pitches, but I still remember him outpacing every full back in Div. 3 South!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The answer is Stuart Storer! Didn’t he get clocked at under 11 seconds over 100meters? Seem to remember that stat from somewhere.

The thing is with times they really do have to be either electronic or timed by a trained official with an official starter. Many untrained starters will go on the sound of the gun and that’s wrong because you need to know the wind directions and go on the smoke. There are many claims out there of what people have run that are way off the mark. Not saying he didn’t mind.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I remember Joe Anyinsah (sp?!?) boy was he quick, but lacking in genuine ball playing ability. Paul McDonald too could really shift on a still day, but being like a feather he literally couldn't run into any wind.

I'm pretty sure the fastest I remember seeing live were Franz Carr and possibly Prince Moncrieffe who played for Doncaster. Beyond that, Micheal Owen whilst at Liverpool literally destroying Newcastle with that electric pace and skill. Mesmeric.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Jakey "nice hair" ROBINSON. He had a bloody good engine. Although, playing in a team that featured El Abd and Butters I might look pacey. Tiny cox too. Although he was probably the worst taker of a corner I've ever seen. And he took ALL of the corners under Salde.

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
Before this season I would’ve said Gerry Fellfollowed closely by Mark Gall. But Jose is easily quicker than those two. Especially when defending ie without the ball.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here