Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Things you miss about the Championship

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
There's not one place in the Championship where I couldn't find a cracking pub. This season..Leicester? No. Watford? No West Ham? No. Arsenal? Again no. Looking forward to Huddersfield and Newcastle again though

Maybe their pubs are now Premier League ready?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Living in Turkey I miss nothing..... I now get to see my team on TV every week LIVE. Not seen so many games in a season since Gordon Smith.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Attitude.
From the Championship, down through the whole of the pyramid there is respect for other clubs and what they achieve. Sure, there are one or two historically larger clubs languishing in the lower reaches, who believe they have a divine right to a seat at the top table but that doesn't stop them respecting each and every one of us. The PL breeds arrogance, elitism and lack of respect. Newly promoted teams are treated like something the cat has just dragged in from the back garden. Fans of the bigger, more successful clubs don't bother with the other divisions. Thats like another planet. They even look down their noses at anyone outside the big 6!! Newly promoted clubs are described as average or limited or ordinary and there is an expectation level that they should be cannon fodder. When there is a surprising result e.g Huddersfield beating Man Utd it is treated like a non-league side beating a much higher calibre side. Total and utter shock. They can't get their heads round it. Theirs was the worst performance in years, not a jot of credit to the opposition.
I guess you have to earn their grudging respect by hanging on in the top flight for more than one season but it shouldn't be necessary. Its just ugly and boorish and so predictable and I just hope that we can ruffle a few feathers this season and give the status quo something to think about.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
A more exciting league - it's great we're in the Prem but the Championship, in my view, was far more competitive and entertaining.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
A more exciting league - it's great we're in the Prem but the Championship, in my view, was far more competitive and entertaining.

Couldn’t agree with you more
It’s great seeing all these top teams at The Amex but still not as competitive and it will never be more entertaining
Plus all the away games at places like Burton, Bristol City, Preston etc

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I thought I would miss the championship as I enjoyed watching us win a lot and liked the midweekers.

However what I have loved about this season, and it’s something I’ve never previously experienced as an Albion fan, is that every game we play feels like an absolute event.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Newly promoted teams are treated like something the cat has just dragged in from the back garden.Newly promoted clubs are described as average or limited or ordinary and there is an expectation level that they should be cannon fodder.

And yet if we stay up, doubtless next season we too will be looking at the three promoted clubs with the hungry look of a tiger looking towards a tethered goat, gleefully contemplating the eighteen points that we'll inevitably get.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
And yet if we stay up, doubtless next season we too will be looking at the three promoted clubs with the hungry look of a tiger looking towards a tethered goat, gleefully contemplating the eighteen points that we'll inevitably get.

Funny you should say that. Shows how hypercritical I am, pontificating about the attitude of others to us and yet, only yesterday, discussing the current strength or not of the Championship and how, if we manage to stay up, it could benefit us next season.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
The possibility of actually winning something at the end of the season, as opposed to setting the expectation level at "being not as shit as three other clubs"
I must admit i dont like this mindset. I dont think you have to be "shit" to be relegated from the PL. Palace by there own admition have been shit mostly and will probably go down. But I think there is much less room for error in the PL. Missing too many opportunities can result in relegation even though performance on the whole can be considered satisfactory.

I am actually enjoying the PL more than i thought i would. In general week on week we have been involved in some good competitive matches. If Huddersfield beating man utd isnt an example of every team being able to beat another on any given day, I dont know what is.

I guess we all miss the euphoria of the last few exciting seasons in the championship. But we have also had some dull mid table ones and one squeky bum one. Plus I for one didnt enjoy Derby away when we were 3-0 inside 20 mins. With the derby fans singing 'brightons a shit hole or you would of gone home' just after ht.

I think some rose tinted specticles need removing from some. In answer to the OP - not being able to with a group to away games becuse of varying levels of 'loyalty'.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
My mates on awaydays , 30 odd years of picking our awaydays together usually around 10 per season we would all get together and have a bloody good weekend wherever that was , sadly the rise of the club has made it virtually impossible for all of us to be able to nab tickets , so far we have made the west ham game but had to sit in the home end as just 2 out of 8 of us had enough points to get the away end tickets the last 15 minutes of the game was ok as by then all the west ham had gone home but it's ruined that part of it , i absolutely have no problem with season ticket holders having first dibs on tickets but no matter how long you have been a supporter there should be in place a amount of non regulated point wise batch of tickets say 300 for sale to fans with purchase history on a first come first served basis released at the same time as the huge pointers , at least then nobody can really say i had no chance of getting a ticket , doubt this would happen but it just may stop me moaning about it .

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I don’t miss evening kick offs as it’s too rushed and our group gets splintered for pint time.
At the end of the day this is what we were aiming for and god help us if we end up like the ’lost the will to live ‘ WBA fans we were drinking outside The Star with. Good lads but so disallusioned after their 7 or so years in this league. Mind you they do have Pulis on board.
Nope, all in all, I’m loving it and missing nothing from the Championship really. I only go to a hand full of away games at best nowadays so not getting tickets doesn’t bother me that much although I wouldnt mind a MK Dons following away sometime. (Not going to happen unless a Cup game I know)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
My mates on awaydays , 30 odd years of picking our awaydays together usually around 10 per season we would all get together and have a bloody good weekend wherever that was , sadly the rise of the club has made it virtually impossible for all of us to be able to nab tickets , so far we have made the west ham game but had to sit in the home end as just 2 out of 8 of us had enough points to get the away end tickets the last 15 minutes of the game was ok as by then all the west ham had gone home but it's ruined that part of it , i absolutely have no problem with season ticket holders having first dibs on tickets but no matter how long you have been a supporter there should be in place a amount of non regulated point wise batch of tickets say 300 for sale to fans with purchase history on a first come first served basis released at the same time as the huge pointers , at least then nobody can really say i had no chance of getting a ticket , doubt this would happen but it just may stop me moaning about it .
Oh the bright lights of Derby hey Tay.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Ah they were the days, going to away matches, standing there just the 250 of us supporting the team. What happened ?

We were talking about Everton away in 82 or whenever and we took less than a hundred fans, F******* Premier League coming along and making it all so much more attractive.

Oh and the fact you were probably going to get your head kicked in in those days might have been a factor in the low away turnouts,.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here