Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Driving and using hand held phones

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Why should it ? If you've got points for a motoring offence, haven't adjusted your behaviour and get some more that's down to you.

I agree,totally and utterlly agree,what was behind my thinking is the same logic as to why they had to introduce 20mph limits in some senses,nobody would stick to 30mph so they introduce 20mph..

I can sort of see it happening,it might not but would not be a total surprise,were it to happen a few years from now.....though like you say -why should it.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Figure of speech dear boy from a bygone era.

I know what it means, but it means a very specific thing. Nobody has ever really used it to refer to the normal police turning up.
Not looking for an argument, I was just pointing out it was an odd phrase to use.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
The more common offence of Drink Driving specifies "Drive or Attempt to Drive". Technically if you have the keys then you are in charge of it.

So if my 12 year old son goes out to the car to get his coat is he committing an offence because he cant drive ?

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Going to away games on the coach, means you sit level with lorry drivers, on the motorways. I've seen truck drivers with a newspaper spread over their steering wheel, charging down the lane at 65 mph. I wish the overhead cameras would pick these out as well.

Other morning I passed a woman oblivious in middle lane going up Handcross Hill who had her sun visor down with vanity light on applying her mascara :rant:

Was in a jam on the M25 a few weeks back. It was mega slow but still moving. Overtook a guy who was tapping away on his effing laptop that he'd propped against the wheel.

At some point I'm going to get a dash cam. Partly to protect myself in the event of something unfortunate and partly to report numpties like laptop man.

Edit: wrote and posted this from my phone originally. Work laptop finally finishes with windows updates, open up browsers, take a quick look at Facebook ... Amazon advertising dash cams at me. Seriously creepy how trackable our internet activity is these days.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Lets also have heavy fines and punishment for talking to passengers, sneezing, blinking, looking at hot girls on pavements etc.

Sod it lets just ban driving all together.

Exactly. No young children in cars either, as they distract parents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
A hard punch in the face as well. I heard some knob on the radio this morning saying he has to take calls while driving - part of his job. FFS.

He wont have that job for long then. The company wont support him even if they are complicit.

They should just get rid of him now, anyway, for being so utterly THICK.

If someone does NEED to take calls at the wheel, then technology means it really is no problem. I rarely answer calls when driving, but if I choose to, its all hand-free, so no legal issues. Personally prefer not to, but if I NEED to - no problem.

That's the thing that pisses me off must about dickheads like this caller - the number of people you see driving modern cars that 100% have Bluetooth facilities but choose not to bother setting their phone to work hands-free. I saw a guy only yesterday in a brand new Jag with his phone to his ear - an £80k bloody car with every bit of kit imaginable, and he's risking being banned from driving the thing through laziness or sheer ignorance.

I confiscate it and crush the damn thing.

Sad thing is, I meant the car, but some of these pricks would probably be more bothered if you crushed the PHONE.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Anything that distracts you could be argued as being as bad as a phone no?

Correct, but their are laws such as'driving without due care and attention' to cover most situations if thought necessary. When it comes to phones the law just says NO! Hopefully plod will exercise discretion if they see someone stationary, in a public car park, with the engine running using a phone. Anyone arguing that the law is unfair to phone users is a txxt.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
OB having a crackdown in worthing :
[tweet]837219950188199936[/tweet]
[tweet]837229128625569792[/tweet]

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I saw a guy only yesterday in a brand new Jag with his phone to his ear - an £80k bloody car with every bit of kit imaginable, and he's risking being banned from driving the thing through laziness or sheer ignorance.

This is the absolute crux of our problems with drivers - I'm not picking on you because I totally agree with what you're saying except that you imply that he should be worried about being banned rather than worried about causing a horrific accident. That's the issue for me, surely we have to take a look at everything we do while driving and consider whether we should be doing it. Driving the damn car should be the sole focus especially when speed and environment warrant it. I've read people asking 'What about the radio', 'What about SatNav', 'what about opening and closing windows' - They all fall under the heading 'likely to distract your attention from driving'.

Anything as distracting as using a phone should result in the same punishment as drink driving but sadly until our attitudes to driving change, people will still die or suffer life changing injuries because people think it's too much trouble to actually focus on driving.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
This is the absolute crux of our problems with drivers - I'm not picking on you because I totally agree with what you're saying except that you imply that he should be worried about being banned rather than worried about causing a horrific accident. That's the issue for me, surely we have to take a look at everything we do while driving and consider whether we should be doing it. Driving the damn car should be the sole focus especially when speed and environment warrant it. I've read people asking 'What about the radio', 'What about SatNav', 'what about opening and closing windows' - They all fall under the heading 'likely to distract your attention from driving'.

Anything as distracting as using a phone should result in the same punishment as drink driving but sadly until our attitudes to driving change, people will still die or suffer life changing injuries because people think it's too much trouble to actually focus on driving.

No offence taken. Agree entirely.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Ban and hefty fine .

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I know what it means, but it means a very specific thing. Nobody has ever really used it to refer to the normal police turning up.
Not looking for an argument, I was just pointing out it was an odd phrase to use.

It was an expression used to describe their exuberance and excitement at pinning the charge no me, just like Jack Regan style.
They even skidded to a halt along side my parked vehicle..

D

Deleted member 22389

Should be a 3 month ban and hefty fine for using a mobile at the wheel end of. I have now seen too many examples of people not being able to concentrate whilst using a mobile.

1) Entered the roundabout, as I going round I noticed a car veering in to my lane. Driver on their mobile phone, one hand on steering wheel.

2) On my push bike I entered the roundabout, van pulls right out in front of me. Driver on their mobile phone, one hand on steering wheel, didn't even sodding see me.

3) Driver turns in to road and ends up on my side of the road pulling in at the last second, again driver on their mobile phone, one hand on steering wheel.

Enough is enough.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here