Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Locadia ...

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Right now, he looks like a donkey. But come the end of the season I do think he'll have helped himself to at least 5 goals and once he's nabbed a place in the team, I think he'll keep it and not look back.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Ali J is primarily a winger, (albiet one with a good record of scoring goals for club and country) and that’s how we’ve used him.

Locadia was bought as a striker and has only played in a central position this season

Blimey Ali J must be even worse seeing as he has had 168 mins as opposed to Locadia’s whopping 135 and hasn’t even had on offside goal. Maybe we should offload both in January working on the THPP rule of thumb.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ali J is primarily a winger, (albiet one with a good record of scoring goals for club and country) and that’s how we’ve used him.

Locadia was bought as a striker and has only played in a central position this season

True but I was trying to make the point that neither have had the game time to shine

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
OK, fair points so I'll let someone dig this up at the end of the season but I'm sticking with 10-15 IF he can get off the mark in the next few games!*

* And we draw Rustington U11's in the FA Cup (Only joking!)

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I actually agree with you and feel equally positive about Locadia.

However, my only nagging doubt is I remember thinking and saying the same about Stephen Dobbie a few years ago. So much so that I had run ins with a few fans around me at home and away games when they were slagging him off. I'm hoping this works out differently and Locadia has many successful years here rather than banging in the goals in the rank average Dutch second division in 2023.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I actually agree with you and feel equally positive about Locadia.

However, my only nagging doubt is I remember thinking and saying the same about Stephen Dobbie a few years ago. So much so that I had run ins with a few fans around me at home and away games when they were slagging him off. I'm hoping this works out differently and Locadia has many successful years here rather than banging in the goals in the rank average Dutch second division in 2023.

He then went and scored one of the best goals ever seen at the Amex for Blackpool (?)

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Locadia will come good, we have a good scouting system, an astute CEO and Manager and a Chairman who's not prone to making mistakes. He'll score soon and you'll all be back on here trying to agree what rhymes with Locadia, legend and scorer (not Zamora), I'll stake my very poor footballing knowledge reputation on this!

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I agree with the mostly positive and optimistic sentiment herein, I too think Jurgen has much more to come. I also have reason to believe Hughton likes him, and with this in mind I can't see Chris playing a player when it suits in order to justify our outlay. We're talking about Mr. tried and tested here, there is no way Chris would be forced to play a total duffer at this level in order to 'protect' our investment and/or save the blushes of the recruitment team. That is simply bollocks.

A few goals and the rest will follow. I'm sure.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think he needs a goal and a run and we’ll see a totally different player.

We would definitely be seeing a different player if Jurgen actually started running at some point.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
We would definitely be seeing a different player if Jurgen actually started running at some point.

I have seen him run into some good positions waiting for the ball on the shoulder of a defender staying onside when he could use his pace to try and get away only for the player with the ball to turn around and pass it backwards. Maybe you’d prefer an Alex Revell or CMS, they’d run all day for you.

Locadia gets WAY too much stick on here for a player who hasn’t really been given a chance in a team that either hoof the ball upfield ( if he is supposed to be a hold up player winning balls in the air, then we have ****ed up in recruiting him) or else totally ignore him when he is in a decent position to receive the ball as they go backwards or sideways. Maybe if we showed a bit of attacking intent now and again we’d see the best of him. The guy has had ONE start and that was at the Etihad and he looked OK in the first few mins when we looked to go forward, he was totally ****ed after that when we stuck 10 men behind the ball (which we lost immediately on the very rare occasions we actually won it back)

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
chris-hughton-brighton_paul-hazlewood-964x509.png

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Locadia gets WAY too much stick on here for a player who hasn’t really been given a chance in a team that either hoof the ball upfield ( if he is supposed to be a hold up player winning balls in the air, then we have ****ed up in recruiting him) or else totally ignore him when he is in a decent position to receive the ball as they go backwards or sideways.

You might note (probably not, why would you bother trawling through my posts) that I have said very little negative regarding Jurgen's ability. He has however many, many times shown an unwillingness to put a shift in. If he did that, we might start to see his ability a little more - to be honest so far it's completely impossible to work out what sort of striker he is - he's unlikely to be very quick, he is self-professed to be "bad at heading", so....?

I simply disagree with you if you're saying you feel he works hard enough. Murray certainly agrees with me as well.

That CMS comment is daft as well. I'm simply asking that he works just hard enough that he isn't being completely shown up by a strike partner ELEVEN years older than him who has already been on the pitch 75-80 minutes and is absolutely shattered.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
You might note (probably not, why would you bother trawling through my posts) that I have said very little negative regarding Jurgen's ability. He has however many, many times shown an unwillingness to put a shift in. If he did that, we might start to see his ability a little more - to be honest so far it's completely impossible to work out what sort of striker he is - he's unlikely to be very quick, he is self-professed to be "bad at heading", so....?

I simply disagree with you if you're saying you feel he works hard enough. Murray certainly agrees with me as well.

That CMS comment is daft as well. I'm simply asking that he works just hard enough that he isn't being completely shown up by a strike partner ELEVEN years older than him who has already been on the pitch 75-80 minutes and is absolutely shattered.

Fair enough but don’t forget that Glenn himself didn’t put himself about much in his early days and got a similar sort of reaction from a big percentage of the Albion faithful.

Basically I am saying let’s give him a chance and wait until he has had some decent game time rather than bit parts when we are chasing or trying to close down the game or being stuck up front on his own, away from home, against possibly the best team that has ever appeared in the Premier League.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Fair enough but don’t forget that Glenn himself didn’t put himself about much in his early days and got a similar sort of reaction from a big percentage of the Albion faithful.

Basically I am saying let’s give him a chance and wait until he has had some decent game time rather than bit parts when we are chasing or trying to close down the game or being stuck up front on his own, away from home, against possibly the best team that has ever appeared in the Premier League.

I totally agree in not writing him off yet. Just want to see a tiny bit of endeavour from him, is all. And yes, true of Murray but he was also banging them in at the same time, so quite easy to forgive in that instance.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I have seen him run into some good positions waiting for the ball on the shoulder of a defender staying onside when he could use his pace to try and get away only for the player with the ball to turn around and pass it backwards. Maybe you’d prefer an Alex Revell or CMS, they’d run all day for you.

Locadia gets WAY too much stick on here for a player who hasn’t really been given a chance in a team that either hoof the ball upfield ( if he is supposed to be a hold up player winning balls in the air, then we have ****ed up in recruiting him) or else totally ignore him when he is in a decent position to receive the ball as they go backwards or sideways. Maybe if we showed a bit of attacking intent now and again we’d see the best of him. The guy has had ONE start and that was at the Etihad and he looked OK in the first few mins when we looked to go forward, he was totally ****ed after that when we stuck 10 men behind the ball (which we lost immediately on the very rare occasions we actually won it back)

I don't actually think the player does get too much stick on here. Everyone calls it as they see it, based on seeing countless players pass before their eyes previously. Some people base their opinion on a player showing any kind of glimmer of talent in the game minutes available to that player. Others place implicit faith in the recruitment team and the transfer fee and appear to let that overrule their gut feeling about what they're seeing on the pitch with their own eyes. Suggests IMHO a lack of confidence in their own ability to judge a player at face value.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
People are always going to have varying opinions on this player and that , most will come to a conclusion far too quickly based on a few minutes of action & that is where the biggest problem lies. We just have not seen enough of Locadia in 'normal' circumstances to really judge him as so far his two starts have been away at Liverpool last season & away at Man City this. A truer picture of his talent might come through were he given a home game start against say Fulham or Huddersfield the teams that are our real opposition rather than 2 of the top 6 in the division away.
I am yet to be convinced by Locadia though I have seen him get into good positions and make good runs going forward there is still a question mark over when defending and his closing down of opposition defenders. I remain in the 'yet to be won over but not yet given up on' the investment in him and I would like to think all will come good given some decent minutes in a game we actually have a 50/50 chance in.
Then again we could say the same about Andone , Bernardo , Ali J .. all yet to really be given their chance , even Knockaert was getting the 'hes not up to it treatment' just a few weeks ago.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't actually think the player does get too much stick on here. Everyone calls it as they see it, based on seeing countless players pass before their eyes previously. Some people base their opinion on a player showing any kind of glimmer of talent in the game minutes available to that player. Others place implicit faith in the recruitment team and the transfer fee and appear to let that overrule their gut feeling about what they're seeing on the pitch with their own eyes. Suggests IMHO a lack of confidence in their own ability to judge a player at face value.

I am taking that post as you calling me a licker who hasn’t got a clue about players. :smile:

Careful now “One in Ten Glenn” :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here